Celebrate Freedom Like A Real American Hypocrite! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Celebrate Freedom Like A Real American Hypocrite!

Strap on your expandable sweatpants and get ready to grow the glory of your Freedom Gut like a REAL American! Find out how to flaunt your Independence with true American flair! Now pay attention! Or don’t. It’s a free country. ★ 'MERICA!! ★

★★
Obviously—I would hope—this video is a satirical take on the hypocritical celebration of freedom carried out over the carcasses of enslaved beings in honor of the Declaration of Independence made upon the genocide and subjugation of a native people and the ongoing enslavement of an entire race.

And while this video focused on America, which admittedly presents itself as a rather easy target, it’s important to note that this is a GLOBAL ISSUE. (See the speech linked in the video’s description on YouTube for more on the international scope)

Find more information on the deeper issues underlying this satire in the links provided in the video’s description on YouTube, where you’ll also find a link to the blog post with a slave's perspective on the 4th of July.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

While you did an amazing job, I kinda feel it was a little over the top on offensive sarcasm.
Maybe it was my own guilt after eating too much of the strawberry pretzel cream cheese dessert I went to a lot of trouble to veganize
And the fettucine alfredo from cashew milk with broccoli
Or maybe it was the Mongolian BBQ seitan I got jiggy with from Chloe's Kitchen
Yes, I did excersize my pant size...

What I'm getting at, is I really felt the second half, the celebration of freedom with the hypocrisy of enslavement, was very appropriate. I do think a lot of the more, say, political leaning could have been left out.

But it could just be my vegan gluttony talking
#3 Old 07-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ I couldn't watch the video right now- I don't have my headphones.

But I don't see anything wrong with a bit of vegan hedonism, so long as one doesn't forget to care about themselves and their health just as they care about the wellbeing of animals they refuse to harm. (Vegan fettucine alfredo??!!- WANT. Especially with broccoli.)
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 07-13-2016 at 03:35 PM.

#4 Old 07-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I get that she's really making the comparison between slavery and killing to commemorate a celebration of freedom and safety.
I just felt it went on too long about the gluttony and overeating, as that can pretty darn easily with vegan foods.
this last 4th I devoured a strawberry pretzel dessert that I've associated with picnics. Full of sugar, coconut oil, coconut creme, processed flour salty pretzels, oh yeah, strawberries. I also had fried seitan with dipping sauces. So I did feel condemned, but as I said, maybe just a bit sensitive.

In general I feel many people associate vegan eats with clean or whole foods, and health. Being a junk food vegan may be equal to fast food omni, but the animals involved don't care. I find more people are critical of vegan eating due to fear of giving up favorite tastes than fear of it being unhealthy. I think the whole 'need meat' is just a sham for those who feel guilty about eating junk foods
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#5 Old 07-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Merica. Love it or move to Canada.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page