• 1 Post By ocrob37
  • 1 Post By Gita
  • 1 Post By nr32
  • 1 Post By Jek the Immortal
  • 1 Post By nr32
  • 1 Post By EquiNicky

#1 Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Naivte

I don't know what not to say. I think I'm very naive because I do these things, occasionally, that escalate quickly and I never know of the danger until it actually happens... I think I accidentally give the vegan movement a bad image, but when it happens, I probably don't even make anyone think about anything I'm saying because ever since elementary school, I've been considered a huge nerd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2016, 05:11 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

What are "these things" that you speak of? Are you being argumentative, loud, or passionate in debates with other people? If you're having a hard time talking to people about veganism, this post and this one from my blog might be helpful, both are on conversational techniques and dealing with difficult people, but the vagueness of your post really doesn't give me much room to work with.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-14-2016, 07:01 PM

I'm being passionate in the process... Whether I am also argumentative, I don't know, but I think so. This one example may not be one in which I actually caused damage because it was about a character we were reading about in English that was very hard to defend in general, but in the Poisonwood Bible, before they actually get out of the Congo, it was about how Rachel was determined to never again eat meat... Until it came to her own survival. One of the students said, "I just love how naive she is, she does this, yet she doesn't know what's at stake." Why he said that when she was never legitimately vegetarian was beyond me, but something that wasn't was when I said after a couple of other comments, "She's a traitor." The teacher said, "Uhm... Yeah, I don't know if it's that simple."

#4 Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

This is really nothing to worry about. Bet you every one else in that example you gave already forgot about it.
Jek the Immortal likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 05-14-2016, 07:29 PM

LOL thanks, it was funny how you said that. I'm not leaving you out, I also thank you, first responder... But sometimes I experience so much rage that one of the risks it brings is something serious. It almost got me arrested once, and it was terrifying because I didn't know where the officer got the idea that I was a threat to society. I'm afraid of revealing too much because that event scared me so much that I'm afraid of being monitored by the government right now, but I can say this: I said something through email, and they misinterpreted (I repeat, misinterpreted) it as a threat.
#6 Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

You can only change peoples's opinions by giving information in a non threatening way. Tell them about your experience and not judge them. This is a very gradual thing. Introduce them to non meat alternatives and go from there. Nobody likes to be told what to do or told they are not doing things right. Offer suggestions and give solutions, but don't judge as they would see it. I could make at least 4 meals that my non vegg friends would like. Just introduce the possibilities. Change is not easy and has to be done with the utmost care. I am sure you will do it.
LedBoots and Jek the Immortal like this.
#7 Old 05-14-2016, 08:23 PM

Does it... Get easier to not judge people? I don't have problems with your post; I already have many regrets in my life although I'm not an adult, but I was wanting to know how often I should avoid talking about it at first if it means avoiding outwardly judging people.
#8 Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jek the Immortal View Post
Does it... Get easier to not judge people? I don't have problems with your post; I already have many regrets in my life although I'm not an adult, but I was wanting to know how often I should avoid talking about it at first if it means avoiding outwardly judging people.
Almost all of your posts show a level of anxiety, guilt, regret, and lack of self control that concerns me. You might want to seek therapy for anxiety or depression...have you ever been diagnosed with either of these? You seem to put a lot of blame on yourself for issues and impassivity that would be normal in a teenager. I know you're still hammering out your beliefs and feel passionately for veganism, but I don't think your actions are as dire as you're making them out to be. Relax, take a deep breath, and try to plan out how you can handle things better in the future. I'm not meaning to come off as condescending, I have anxiety issues as well and have most of my life, so I know what you're going through.

I actually wrote a pretty detailed post about the difference between frustration and judgement in Occrob's thread here, if you want to take a look at it.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 AM

I was diagnosed with major reccurent depression at the age of 10 or 11, a severe case of OCD at age 12, and I might have PTSD because I go to therapy now and a couple of visits ago I filled out a diagnostic form for it.
#10 Old 05-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Aliakai, I just checked out your blog. Very cool.
#11 Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I was diagnosed with major reccurent depression at the age of 10 or 11, a severe case of OCD at age 12, and I might have PTSD because I go to therapy now and a couple of visits ago I filled out a diagnostic form for it.
regardless, a lot of things you do are about impulse control, and being "diplomatic," and that is a hard thing for most people to learn. I seriously do not think anyone has not lost a friend because of a jerky thing they said, or gotten in trouble because of their mouth. Learning how to self moderate is an important part of personal growth.

Passion is great, but also (not sure of where you live) the "right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" goes for people who you might think are doing the wrong thing as well as the right.

Terms like: "live and let live" are honestly the way people need to be towards others. Write a book, write a song, become the worlds first vegan rapper, do something that shows that Vegans are not crazy shriekers, and are instead all the good things to be in people.

Be a Role Model, not a person people quickly back away from, or make them want to switch sides of the street.
#12 Old 05-29-2016, 12:29 PM
^ this cool guy

Quote:
Lead by example, not by argument or force.
#13 Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 PM

I'm already trying to write a book.

Edit: @ Gita, nr32: please don't misinterpret me as trying to be condescending. I totally agree with you. But while I'm editing, for future reference, if I get framed and imprisoned for a crime I did not commit, how should I prepare myself so as to not be broken as an activist as a result of jail/prison time?
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Jek the Immortal; 05-30-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarity
#14 Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 AM
^ this cool guy

Quote:
But while I'm editing, for future reference, if I get framed and imprisoned for a crime I did not commit, how should I prepare myself so as to not be broken as an activist as a result of jail/prison time?
One of the principles I live by is: "Never be afraid to be loud; be afraid to have no voice. Never be afraid of the thoughts of others; be afraid of not being true to who you are. Never be afraid of failure; be afraid of never giving it your best."

Your statement about jail indicates to me that you do not quite understand what it means to be active. You can become very active without becoming a threat to society; I do not know what you did to risk arrest (what did you do, anyway?), but you cannot easily change someone else's opinion on an issue -- you can plant the seed of doubt, but ultimately the change has to come from within. People tend to remain steadfast in their views especially under scrutiny -- i.e. when you put them on the defensive.

You're doing a phenomenal thing with your desire to instill change in the world around you -- you just need to learn to do it in a way that brings people onto your side.
#15 Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Jek the Immortal;3974969]I'm already trying to write a book.
QUOTE]

Please post the title when you finish, I really wanna read it
#16 Old 11-09-2016, 04:06 PM

I'm ready to publish my first novel because the election here in the US has terrified me and I want to get my will out there before Trump starts censoring the arts. I have the 5th, completed draft of my first novel on a flash drive, and being a year shy of 18, I don't know how to proceed. I want the morals of my novel to be unchanged, so it's going to be difficult for me to either get my work out in the market through DIY publishing or find someone who doesn't edit my work too much if I should seek a publisher. Somebody please help me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page