Article About Preventing Ex Vegans - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Article About Preventing Ex Vegans

http://www.theveganrd.com/2015/07/pr...l-matters.html

I thought this was an interesting read and could generate some discussion here. Even the comments were very well thought out!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like the image perception of not being normal - different - a non-conformist, so indifference created by vegan diet is fully welcome with open arms and then some. I can imagine though that many people would want to feel normal though.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#3 Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I could never stay close to vegan in the past because of my obsessing about things in times of stress. It just wasn't worth the undue anguish it caused me, because it wasn't doing the animals any good and keeping me from functioning
When I decided to try again i made sure I understood that i would step back when i needed to, but it turned out that immersing myself into the practical ways of being vegan instead of the forefront of animal rights made it far easier for me to make it my normal.
I get upset with all the vegans who feel it most important that everyone who tries it should automatically become 100%. the reality is while you can scream how bad the animals have it, that's just not in peoples minds as much as it is in others. If someone says they're willing to be pescatarian and take it from there we need to let it take it's course and do more to make vegan living more NORMAL and obtainable than to curse those individuals who don't feel they can commit more to the lifestyle. right now whether someone eats jello and says they're vegan isn't as important as having agar available for omnivores

To me, being vegan should be what omnivores are now. You eat whatever foods you want, and animal products are not considered food
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

#4 Old 08-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I could never stay close to vegan in the past because of my obsessing about things in times of stress. It just wasn't worth the undue anguish it caused me, because it wasn't doing the animals any good and keeping me from functioning
When I decided to try again i made sure I understood that i would step back when i needed to, but it turned out that immersing myself into the practical ways of being vegan instead of the forefront of animal rights made it far easier for me to make it my normal.
I get upset with all the vegans who feel it most important that everyone who tries it should automatically become 100%. the reality is while you can scream how bad the animals have it, that's just not in peoples minds as much as it is in others. If someone says they're willing to be pescatarian and take it from there we need to let it take it's course and do more to make vegan living more NORMAL and obtainable than to curse those individuals who don't feel they can commit more to the lifestyle. right now whether someone eats jello and says they're vegan isn't as important as having agar available for omnivores

To me, being vegan should be what omnivores are now. You eat whatever foods you want, and animal products are not considered food
I really like your point about focusing on the practical ways of being vegan. Looking back, I think I did a good bit of this also. Sometimes though I would get too distracted by the details of it and trying to be perfect and I would then try to focus on the bigger picture and the reasons I was doing this in the first place. A balance of the two at times can be a challenge.

I also feel that community support, whether online or in real life, is so important for vegans to have a place to share and speak their minds and not feel so isolated or frustrated and alone. We still live in a largely omnivore world and often face indifference and pressure from family, friends, coworkers etc. Don't get me wrong. I love being vegan, happily share it with others, am very committed to living a life that aligns with my ethical values. It has not been that hard to be vegan for myself. But there have been plenty of times I was overcome with anger and frustration at others indifference and complacency. It becomes discouraging when you feel like the whole world is so violent and unconcerned about the suffering and plight of others. So to see that there are other people out there who do care, who are making an effort to do something, is uplifting.

I also believe there are many different ways of being vegan, and that vegans shouldn't be shamed if they are not staunch activists or if they are not health gurus and so on. Each one of us is making a big difference just by virtue of being vegan!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page