• 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Stephen Day
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Dilettante
  • 1 Post By Dilettante
  • 2 Post By leedsveg

#1 Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Is There Hope for a Vegan World and Animal Freedom?

do you think the world will ever go vegan? will it happen in our lifetime? is there hope for the animals? hear from vegan activist gary yourofksy about his beliefs for the future of the animal rights movement.

Videos Mentioned:
Tal Gilboa Wins Big Brother Israel: http://bit.ly/1HlrTp2
My Activism Journey Story: http://bit.ly/1w1lLSS
What Would Happen if the World Went Vegan?: http://bit.ly/12riM8k

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope so.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM

I hope so, but I do not think it will be in my life time.

#4 Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
I hope so, but I do not think it will be in my life time.
that's kind of where I'm at I think...

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#5 Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
American Chestnut Fan

Maybe when guilt-free meat can be made affordably in a laboratory.
#6 Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

No.

Animal products are deeply embedded in ordinary products like plywood, etc.

We don't even have a slavery free world, sexist free world, misogyny free world, racist free world, homophobic free world, etc. If people cannot even marginally agree on human based issues and exploitation, they won't come around to exploitation issues for other species. Not in a permanent vegan world scenario, anyway.

Veganism might ebb and flow, as it has since the time of ancient Greece. Society has not changed significantly in 10,000 years. I don't expect it will. They're are good periods and bad, that is all.

I think all we can hope is during this good period we can pass meaningful legislation and court opinions which will affect future periods.
leedsveg and CaptainNoFun like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

The thing is, over the last 100 years the world population has exploded. At the same time animal agriculture has had to accelerate to meet the needs of an increasing population that also has demanded meat. With fast food and factory farming, meat eating has doubled. But we are paying a price for it with increased health problems, environmental damage, loss of individual farms and on and on. While 2/3 of the world are still starving and/or malnourished. Eventually the rate of meat eating will have to decrease because there simply will not be enough to go around as intensive farming will not be able to keep up with demand. Prices will increase and some world supplies of some animals like fish are already dwindling (take cod for example). There is limited space on this planet and what space we have is suffering the consequences of human mistreatment.

Some groups are trying to go back to local farming but I don't see this as sustainable either because there are just too many people who want meat, eggs, and dairy and the demand that places on production of animal agriculture makes local farming "the old way" nearly impossible unless people begin to EAT LESS ANIMALS. It is also expensive and will not solve the issue of world hunger and malnutrition. Ever go to a Whole foods Coop and see the prices of grass fed organic meat, dairy and eggs? Most average people will never be able to afford that.

I don't see the world going complete vegan ever either. But I do see more of a shift to plant based eating inevitable from an environmental and economical standpoint. It's not the ideal for the animal rights activist, but it's an improvement. Sad that it will take (and usual does) personal disaster for people to change.
River and BiteSizeVegan like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#8 Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Vegan as f**k

I truly hope that one day the world will be vegan...This would be a dream come true...However, due to the fact that humans treat other humans appallingly even in the 21st century I sadly don't hold out too much hope for a vegan world during my lifetime
121938 likes this.
#9 Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It is an evolutionary thing and (sadly) we are here now because we belong here. If we belonged in a vegetarian world we would be there.
No pretence. Gotta keep working, like very hard!

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#10 Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Sad that it will take (and usual does) personal disaster for people to change.
isn't that the truth...

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#11 Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 AM

Realistically? No. Not in the foreseeable future.

It would be great to say yes, but then you would be kidding yourself.

I strongly believe humans will destroy the world sooner or later, it seems to be the only thing they're good at. Well that and believing an astonishing amount of government propaganda.

How sad is it to have to say that in this day and age?
leedsveg likes this.
#12 Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM

How much hope is there for North Korea? I doubt anyone has any access to reliable information over there as the last time I checked, Kim Jong Un controlled all the crops that were growing over there, but there is a bit of hope in my mind that I might be able to create change as a tourist over there because Koryo tours has negotiated between them and China about reasons for visiting and how many times, people thought their ideas for visiting were stupid... This is no serious plan of mine because I feel tension at the thought of visiting such an undemocratic country, but I wanted to know more from animal activists who knew more about North Korea than me.
#13 Old 12-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

100% vegan? Very unlikely. 95% vegan in the developed world? Possibly.

Here is the deal. First, it's at least 50/50 that all of human civilization will be destroyed by nuclear war in the next century. It's a miracle that nukes haven't been used since WWII, but it's only a matter of time, and with Trump saber-rattling about the nuclear stockpile, it could be sooner than anyone imagines. If it happens and it gets out of control, all of civilization will be destroyed, with only pockets of humans left near the equator, where the nuclear winter will have least effect, foraging for whatever food they can find.

But say we're lucky and that doesn't happen. Then we're still looking at major disruption from climate change. The effects will be terrible, but human civilization will almost certainly survive, though with large loss of life and by necessity on higher ground. Still, developed nations will probably be able to survive in something like their current form.

If that is the case, I would expect to see a slow transition away from animal agriculture. For one thing, there will be less land after the seas rise, so setting aside huge tracts to graze cattle will be less feasible. For another thing, synthetic alternatives, including lab-grown, will become available and be much better than the current faux meats and cheeses. Cost will probably be the driving force, more than ethics and animal rights, though ethics and the animal rights movement will play at least some part in putting political pressure on the animal agriculture industry.

I'd expect to see much of the meat and dairy production shift to synthetic alternatives over the next 25-100 years. I seriously doubt, though, that it will ever be 100%. It's like horses. 100 years ago, they were the primary mode of transportation. However, cheaper and more efficient non-animal-based transportation became available, and horses have been largely displaced. Still, there are some horses used for transportation, even in the developed world. I'd expect to see a similar situation with the food industry over the next 100 years or so.

Finally, in contrast to the developed world, in the developing world, I doubt there will be much change, especially among hunter-gatherer communities and subsistence farmers. I doubt those communities will do much to restrict their use of dietary animal products.

Last edited by Dilettante; 12-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.
#14 Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Vegan since 1991

Lots of speculation in this thread.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#15 Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Vegan since 1991

The side that wins is the side that never gives up. Even those who are wrong can win, at least temporarily, if they are persistent enough.

I became vegan in 1991, and I've seen it become progressively mainstream.
121938 likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

Last edited by David3; 12-24-2016 at 12:18 PM.
#16 Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

How else would one answer a question asking for a prediction about the future?
leedsveg and 121938 like this.

Last edited by Dilettante; 12-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
#17 Old 12-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post

How else would one answer a question asking for a prediction about the future?

Speculation based on the findings of reputable think tanks, based on analyses of similar events in past history, with weblinks to those findings.

_________

#18 Old 12-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Speculation based on the findings of reputable think tanks, based on analyses of similar events in past history, with weblinks to those findings.

This is an informal forum, and people often state things without links. Moreover, the original question was very informal and called for a high degree of speculation. It's extremely unlikely that there is any peer-reviewed literature on whether the world will one day go vegan, because there is really no way to predict that or answer that question with any certainty based on a study, which seems rather obvious, though I don't have a citation for it. Hence, everyone on this thread is speculating, myself include.

I, however, am the only one on this thread who analogized to an "analysis of similar events in past history." In particular, I referred to the historical decline of horses used for transportation.

Regarding nuclear holocaust and global warming which I mentioned, and which are admittedly a bit off-topic, the Wikipedia entries, which are footnoted, and plenty of other material available from a google search, makes the risk of both of those disasters pretty clear, so I didn't bother with citations.
leedsveg likes this.
#19 Old 12-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Thank heaven that there's no way that The Trumpster can win the Presidency then. Oh....?!
silva and Dilettante like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page