VeggieBoards banner

Being secretive in activism.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Poppy 
#1 ·
Is there anything wrong with being secretive while practicing activism?

#3 ·
It probably depends on what is being done and why. Like Jennifer pointed out, often the point is for people to see/hear what the activist is doing/saying, whether that's a cooking demo or street demo.

Something like taking footage in a slaughterhouse will have to be done in secret, but if you don't share that footage publicly why bother?

#6 ·
I don't mean small activism. I mean global scale activism.

I find that informing people directly or indirectly leads to resistance and that its not for me; my aura. I feel like I have to be quiet and wait for certain people to see me for me and invite me to share.

Family have told me that I am secretive in everything I do. I feel like I need to be and it's not my time yet to share.

Maybe I am wasting my time asking.

#8 ·
I find that informing people directly or indirectly leads to resistance and that its not for me; my aura. I feel like I have to be quiet and wait for certain people to see me for me and invite me to share.

Family have told me that I am secretive in everything I do. I feel like I need to be and it's not my time yet to share.
I hate confrontation (hear that? That's the sound of everyone on the board who's ever had an argument/discussion/debate with me, falling off their chair laughing). I really hate it.

Here's the thing about activism though, the whole reason it exists, is because the majority of people aren't going to invite us to 'share' the information we have. They don't want to know. That's why we have to be active about getting the information out there. We don't have to shove it in their faces (that rarely works in my experience), we just have to have it on offer.

If you don't feel like you're ready to talk about your choice to go veg, then just tell them that. But, I'll let you in on a little hint here, it's never going to feel like a completely safe thing to do. It's just going to feel a little awkward at first and you're probably going to stuff it up the first few times because you're human, that happens.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.