• 1 Post By Thalassa4
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By AbirasDad

#1 Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

If so, what are the brands and where can I find them? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Zelda Freak

Tobacco isn't good for you, but I'm sure you're aware. This thread might be useful - though I don't know how accurate it is. http://www.peta2.com/boards/topic/vegan-tobacco/

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That may be super country specific. Roll your own may be vegan if you're just rolling up tobacco.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

#4 Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The vast amount of animal testing done to establish tobaccos harmful health effects are staggering. The amount of studies necessary to counter the tobacco industry included many non human primates as test subjects. Just because a particular brand doesn't test on animals, doesn't negate the lengthy history of animal testing for that warning label. It was a happy day I kicked that addiction.
AbirasDad and River like this.
#5 Old 12-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad I kicked that addiction too, in 2006.  I smoked for nine years and wish I had never started.  I work in Health Information Services and analyze radiation oncology medical records daily.  The amount of cancers connected with a patient's history of smoking is staggering, and younger and younger people are getting lung cancers and other forms of cancer.  It's been more rare to see patients who have never smoked getting cancer unless it is breast related.  And the suffering they endure both with cancer and the treatments for it is heartbreaking.  I also wonder how many smokers expose their pets to cigarettes.  I was guilty of this and am still ashamed of it.  Not to mention all the seagulls and crows and other wildlife I have seen on city streets picking up and spitting out cigarette butts because they think it's food.  I just don't see anything good about cigarettes, vegan or not.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#6 Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

It is much better to quit.

I know that may not be what you want to hear, but you will feel SO much better. Once you do and you're around someone who smokes, you suddenly realise-

1. What your second hand smoke does to other people. My throat gets raw at even the whiff of it now.

2. What your smoking must be doing to you!

Aside from that, your skin will thank you for it, your nails and hair will thank you for it.

Even the environment would thank you for it. I didn't even think about the animal testing that would need to go into cigarettes and combating cancer caused by them, but I'm assuming tobacco crops on an industrial scale probably are doing bad things for the environment.

Good luck, if you do decide to quit. It is a hard habit to break, but you can do it.

#7 Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

If I remember Natural American Spirit doesn't test on animals. The water vapor cigarettes should also be vegan but not 100% sure, you'd have to contact the sellers but it's probably a safe bet.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#8 Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

It's just a thought. I've quit for almost 5 years now, but lately, with everything going on, I've been craving more and more for a cigarette. 

Of course, conscience gets the better of me and I've not smoked since my last one five years ago. But now the feeling is coming back and the best thing to do is to just look for a vegan brand. There's really no other outlet, trust me, I've tried. If there is, I wouldn't have posted here. 

I know the harmful effects of smoking btw, thanks for the lectures nonetheless! :) 

#9 Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

It's just a thought. I've quit for almost 5 years now, but lately, with everything going on, I've been craving more and more for a cigarette. 

Of course, conscience gets the better of me and I've not smoked since my last one five years ago. But now the feeling is coming back and the best thing to do is to just look for a vegan brand. There's really no other outlet, trust me, I've tried. If there is, I wouldn't have posted here. 

I know the harmful effects of smoking btw, thanks for the lectures nonetheless! :) 

That is quite an accomplishment to have quit smoking and stayed quit for five years!  congratulations on that!  I know first hand how hard it is to quit smoking.  On that note, I understand the cravings sometimes too.  At this stage it is all mental.  I still get them every once in a great while when I am really stressed.  Surely though there has to be some other way to deal with it?  After all you have done it this long.  Things that help me are a vigorous cardio workout or lifting some weights.  I get a lot of aggression and anger out that way, and I always feel so good after a good sweat when the natural endorphins are at work.  Having someone you trust to talk to helps too.  As does journaling for me because I like to write.  Sometimes it's just a matter of stepping away from work or activism and doing something totally fun and meaningless.  Find something that makes you feel good inside.  I love to sometimes just sit and watch the birds at my bird feeder outside.  Their antics make me laugh.  Laughing is sooo important.  Sometimes for me the small joys are worth so much more in life than the big problems.  And I don't have to deal with the big problems alone (though often I think I do).

I am not the best at giving advice for fighting addiction, cravings, and dealing with stress.  I have my own battles too so I do understand the draw.  I don't mean to lecture you.  We all care about you, that's all.  I hope you can work things out and not start back up.  Best wishes.

#10 Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know the harmful effects of smoking btw, thanks for the lectures nonetheless! smiley.gif 
I know the feeling. What keeps me from going back to it is the cancer, upper respiratory infections, COPD, emphysema, and how hard it was to quit for me personally. I smoked American Spirit. When I feel stressed, I crave a drink, but I gave that up too some time ago. I've been reconsidering that.
#11 Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is the best thing to do, really to look for a 'vegan brand' of cigarettes?

Because, the way you're proposing you deal with a stressful period in your life, is to do something that is going to completely stress out your body. When you have a cigarette, your body freaks out. You're going to get tired. You're not going to have the energy you need. You're not going to feel good.

Is that really the best thing to do?

And yep, this is probably a lecture. But I would give this same lecture to you, in much the same way, as if you were about to go back to eating dairy, or eggs, or meat because you had a 'craving' (without any medical reasons that would point to you 'needing' to eat those things). You need to ask yourself whether this is a decision you're going to be okay with, whether it's a decision that in 5 years time you're going to say "Ohhhh, shouldn't have done that" or "Yeah, that was the right thing".

This all comes from a place of concern. If you choose to go back to smoking, it's your call. But realise that you'll be making a choice that is, without a doubt, a choice to make your quality of life poorer. No matter how stressed you are, it's not going to make things better. It's only going to hurt you and no one wants that.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Side note- I still want a cigarette (especially when I have a coffee). I smoke 'air cigarettes' sometimes. It's nice because they taste better (because they're not real) and I don't get wrinkles from them.

#12 Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Side note- I still want a cigarette (especially when I have a coffee). I smoke 'air cigarettes' sometimes. It's nice because they taste better (because they're not real) and I don't get wrinkles from them.

Still not good for you, although surprisingly much less harmful, not any evidence of propylene glycol adverse effects besides possible sore throat or most chronic diseases from traditional cigarettes. Worst that has been found is the traditional addiction, dry mouth, sore throat, atherosclerosis risk, and lack of long term studies. Much better than the brown leafy stuff. thumbsup.gif

Sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2013-06-11-decision-over-e-cigarettes-and-vaping-imminent/
http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(12)00517-5/abstract
#13 Old 12-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Still not good for you, although surprisingly much less harmful, not any evidence of propylene glycol adverse effects besides possible sore throat or most chronic diseases from traditional cigarettes. Worst that has been found is the traditional addiction, dry mouth, sore throat, atherosclerosis risk, and lack of long term studies. Much better than the brown leafy stuff. thumbsup.gif

Sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2013-06-11-decision-over-e-cigarettes-and-vaping-imminent/
http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(12)00517-5/abstract

Oh no, I mean....I just pretend I have a cigarette in my hand and breath as though I'm inhaling :P It's like.... a really lazy form of tai chi! :P

#14 Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Oh no, I mean....I just pretend I have a cigarette in my hand and breath as though I'm inhaling :P It's like.... a really lazy form of tai chi! :P
grin.gif
Oh man that's funny how I misread that. My mistake. I chew on toothpicks.
#15 Old 11-01-2015, 01:13 AM

It's funny that when asking about vegan cigarettes the answer is "don't smoke". So, it's soinds like forbidden to ask for something we want to do while we want to do the right thing at the same time. So, at the end, we might feel guilty even for asking.

If we want to smoke, we better do it right. We love animals and we want them to not suffer for our pleasure. Here is a nice article about what brands are cruelty free. Enjoy!

http://www.thecheatinvegan.com/?p=115
#16 Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Oryzatarian

Another option is to grow your own. Nearly free organic cruelty-free tobacco!
If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco. The skill comes in curing it. If memory serves, the curing kiln or curing room should be maintained at 130-140°F and 65% relative humidity [enough to make the leaves flexible but never moist] and slow air circulation is required to off-gas the nasties like ammonia and putrescine [you can guess how it got its name]. In this it will cure in 2-4 weeks, then its usually stored somewhere to 'mellow' for 2-12 months.
Yield of cured and processed tobacco tends to be around 60-80 cigarettes per plant. The US government is some help here, as to this day they literally pour billions of dollars into supporting the tobacco industry. Here you can see the results of one government-paid-for yield trial for about 1,000 tobacco varieties which they did as a gift to those poor tobacco companies. 'Range' is essentially number of finished cigarettes per plant, 'Accessions' is number of varieties that fell in that range, so you can see even in standard field conditions some varieties yield half a carton.
In the US, depending on location, the seed is planted indoors anywhere from feb 1 to march 15, so you have time to read on the subject.

_____Insert here the standard 'dont smoke' message_____
#17 Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Probably safer to talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication. These medications have side-effects, but it's better than smoking.
no whey jose likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#18 Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Oryzatarian

Most anti-anxiety medications are more addictive than cigarettes.

Its never a good idea to replace one addictive drug with another.
#19 Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Most anti-anxiety medications are more addictive than cigarettes.

Its never a good idea to replace one addictive drug with another.
Xanax is addictive, but other anxiety-treatment meds (Zoloft, Prozac) are not considered addictive. In any case, none of these meds will cause lung cancer or emphysema.
Thalassa4 likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 11-01-2015 at 11:41 AM.
#20 Old 11-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Xanax is addictive, but other anxiety-treatment meds (Zoloft, Prozac) are not considered addictive.
Those are not anti-anxiety meds, and they are quite severely addictive. The drug withdrawals are called 'discontinuation syndromes' only because the drug manufacturers are more powerful than the majority of sovereign nations. When any pharmaceutical alters functioning of the nervous system or emotions the severity of the drugs addiction is roughly proportional to the strength of the drug effect, and its persistence in the body. Most of these types of pharmaceuticals are designed to have both strong effect and long half-life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
In any case, none of these meds will cause lung cancer or emphysema.
This is quite true.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#21 Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 AM
Veggie Recycler

Do deep breathing. Part of what smokers crave is the deep inhalation, and the ritual. So make breathing meditation a ritual.

It's easier not to smoke if you don't drink.

Wellbutrin, prescribed for anxiety and depression, is actually buproprion, which is also marketed as Zyban to help smokers. (Inappropriate cliche removed by author).

There are several non-addictive anti-anxiety meds you can take. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is used for nerve pain and neurological issues, but can be taken occasionally for anxiety, as just one example.

I'm not representing Big Pharma, here, I'm just trying to address possible mental health issues like anxiety.

Natural alternatives include valerian or chamomile tea. Valerian is actually quite strong and can be used for sleep in higher doses, easily found over the counter in the pharmacy vitamin section.
LedBoots likes this.
#22 Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Every time you smoke it's cruelty to your own body. So maybe there's no true cruelty free cigarettes.
#23 Old 02-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Every time you smoke it's cruelty to your own body. So maybe there's no true cruelty free cigarettes.
My thoughts exactly! I started when I was about 12 and slowly increased through my twenties before I finally quit, it took several times, of varying lenghts. To this day when I'm stressed I'll have dreams of smoking! Way harder than cheese...
I did use the nicotine gum at the last quit and stayed on that for about a year. I loved that gum more than smokes! Took the edge off
Crouton likes this.
#24 Old 02-13-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is crazy old, but I believe American Spirits are vegan. I'm proud to say that I haven't smoked in over a year, and I used to be a pack-a-day smoker. I occasionally take a hit off my husband's e-cig.
LedBoots likes this.
#25 Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This thread is crazy old, but I believe American Spirits are vegan. I'm proud to say that I haven't smoked in over a year, and I used to be a pack-a-day smoker. I occasionally take a hit off my husband's e-cig.
Yeah! Glad to hear you are still not smoking!

I smoked from 1997 to 2006, a pack or more a day. I quit immediately after having my first DEXA scan in 2006 (for bone density measurement). I was 34 years old and already had the bones of an 80 year old. Smoking definitely makes it worse. Smoking not only affects your lungs, it affects your skin, your hormones, your brain chemistry, your bones. And so often smokers leave cigarette butts laying around. They don't disintegrate, and animals pick them up thinking they are food. The chemicals in them can not be good for the environment. I can't even be near cigarette smoke now and it makes me very nauseated and dizzy and I get a headache. I don't know how I ever put all that into my body for so long, ugh.

It was very very hard for me to quit. I had tried a few times before but would always go back. The health scare seemed to work though. I chewed an insane amount of gum for about a year after quitting smoking. I thought it would be a new addiction lol. Funny thing, when I went vegan I stopped chewing gum that day and never chewed gum again. Most gum isn't vegan. For me it was more the holding something and having something in my mouth than really the nicotine that was hard to let go of. I used to smoke when I drove because it calmed me down. Then I chewed gum. Now I listen to a lot of music when I drive.
no whey jose likes this.

#26 Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Oryzatarian

Ironically, growing my own vegan tobacco helped prompt me to quit.
When growing it each february I had to ask myself how many thousand cigarettes I would need to produce, so I'd know how much to grow. So I had to do the math, 18 times a day multiplied by 365... holy Sh*t I smoke a lot! lol
Its harder to fool yourself when you have to plan 12 months ahead.
no whey jose likes this.
#27 Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 AM

Yeah this thread is old and I am one that can't stand when asking a question on a forum and get all sorts of answers other than to the question. That being said, please for anyone else do not consider pharmaceuticals either. Animal testing. Animal ingredients. Also horrible for you. Life is short, live it smoke-free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page