VeggieBoards banner

horse-drawn carriages

3K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  jumpingspider22 
#1 ·
I go into the city every week to eat at vegan restaurants and since it's getting nicer out more people are paying for the horse-drawn carriage rides.
So upsetting.
I was thinking of making maybe little flyers/pamphlets/something informational/etc. and handing them out down there.

What do you think? I really want to get into activism because 1) I feel like I owe it to the animals and that it's my duty to speak up for those who can't and 2) I think it will help me better myself if I put all of my energy and focus into something that isn't food or body image related.

So I guess I am asking:
-Does it sound like a good idea?
-What would YOU do? As in would you do it all? If yes what would give out, what would it say, etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
Depends on the kind of care the animals are getting. I don't see it as inherently cruel. but if the horses look like they are being poorly cared for, for instance underweight, weak looking, or have overgrown,worn down, or cracked hooves(walking on concrete all day can be hard on their feet and as a result they need lots of farrier care(regular trimming and re-shoeing) I'd say something, report them to a local humane society and see if anything can be done. On the other hand if these horses look like they are well fed,healthy, have shelter to go back to once a day's work is finished, and are offered water between rides, and if you find upon investigation that they are getting periodic visits both a vet and a farrier , realistically I don't think you would have any legitimate grounds to make the case that this is animal cruelty.

#5 ·
Yeah, these piss me off.

I don't have nearly as much of a problem with, for instance, families that have several horses and use them as transportation occasionally. I've seen some Mennonites (Amish?) who do this, and the horses never look too distressed or anything, and I'm sure they take plenty good care of them. But at fairs and festivals when this happens it just angers me because it's a couple horses in an incredibly stressful situation probably being harassed by dumb kids who don't know sh!t.

#6 ·
I wouldn't suggest that you go by yourself. Even in broad daylight, you might run into someone who takes offense at your message and gets in your face about it, which can be scary. If you have a few friends join you, that would be better, imo. Does your city have a local Peta, HSUS, or vegan society? You might call and see if they know of any local activists.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I'm sure they take plenty good care of them.
Amish and Mennonite culture is not good for animals. Some Amish in particular seem to love running puppy mills.

#12 ·
Personally I would want to get some solid comfirmation that these particular horses aren't being properly looked after before taking action. Ask the driver how often they see the a vet, how many hours they work a day, and if they are getting offered water throughout the day between rides.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

Personally I would want to get some solid comfirmation that these particular horses aren't being properly looked after before taking action. Ask the driver how often they see the a vet, how many hours they work a day, and if they are getting offered water throughout the day between rides.
The problem is, even if they're taken care of greatly (which I doubt is the case), city streets are no place for horses. For example, this happened in Philadelphia right before I moved away...

#14 ·
Quote:

Despite human demands, it's not a nonhuman animal's purpose in life to "work" to provide an income for a human. When this is done to humans it's considered slavery. It's a virtual guarantee that as soon as animals become involved in commerce, the animals will suffer.

People riding in carriages can walk or bike or drive their own lazy asses.

Reactions: jumpingspider22
#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Or... Hire a pedi-cab... or support something like this.
LOVE THIS!
Also, that's what I love about the city! That you can walk almost anywhere! I really enjoy walking

To Jorjor;
I personally believe that forcing horses to pull people around in grassless, hot, and extremely loud city is very cruel. I'm also going to make the assumption that your opinion about horses in general is somewhat biased considering your choice of avatar. (I'm not claiming that this is a correct assumption)

To; AddieB
Funny you mentioned Philly that's the city I am talking about.

#19 ·
Quote:

Depends on the kind of care the animals are getting. I don't see it as inherently cruel. but if the horses look like they are being poorly cared for, for instance underweight, weak looking, or have overgrown,worn down, or cracked hooves(walking on concrete all day can be hard on their feet and as a result they need lots of farrier care(regular trimming and re-shoeing) I'd say something, report them to a local humane society and see if anything can be done. On the other hand if these horses look like they are well fed,healthy, have shelter to go back to once a day's work is finished, and are offered water between rides, and if you find upon investigation that they are getting periodic visits both a vet and a farrier , realistically I don't think you would have any legitimate grounds to make the case that this is animal cruelty.
I'm strongly against animal cruelty.. but I agree with Jorjor.. if the horse is being take good care by the owner or who ever use them as drawn carriage you don't have grounds to stand but your idea is really good and I will support for your idea.. and if there's anything I can help.. I offer you my service... to stop animal cruelty...

#20 ·
I live in a small town where, around the height of the tourist season, there are horsedrawn carriages brought in to transport people to historical sites. Thankfully, all of the horses are friendly and very well cared for. If they weren't, I'd be against their use. However, I made a point to examine them last summer and there is nothing wrong with them physically or with their demeanor.

I actually ride horses, once a week, at a marvelous facility called Crystal Farms. I also volunteer there during the weekends. I think that if your know the horses are being well cared for, so long as you are getting your information either first hand on from a reputable source, that they should be able to be used as they were bred to be used (ex. Pleasure riding and pulling small loads). So long as they are given sufficient rest periods, of course.

I am much more concerned about the horses (and other animals, for that matter) who are used in rodeos. ><

#21 ·
You said you lived in a small town. This is a loud, very busy city. In my opinion it's uncomparable. Hypothetically speaking let's say that these horses are well taken care of, they shouldn't be pulling around people. They are being used to for entertainment. It's wrong.

#24 ·
Quote:

I'm just saying you probably won't get that far if theres no actual neglect involved. Because if there is no real neglect , people are going to put that on the back burner as far as animal cruelty's concerned. Just being realistic.
But actions like leafletting helps spread information about why the practice shouldn't be allowed...

#25 ·
People, get real.

I'm not commenting on this specific case because I'm not there to see the horses. But to say a horse pulling a carriage is slavery is so extreme. I have done tons of traveling. Every carriage I've seen the horses are given breaks often and water even more so. They limited the riders so not too much weight is put on them. Now I agree the fairs could do so much more but horses have always been used for work. Jesus rode a donkey does that mean he turned that animal into a slave?

Unless you see physical abuse going on let it go. Sure, keep an eye on it but to go accusing and judging and labeling makes you look foolish. What's next? 4H?

#26 ·
We all have our opinions. I find it cruel and I view it as a form of entertainment.
Anyone can say: Peaople get real, JESUS ATE FISH!
why don't we start eating fish?
Oh wait...because times have changed and we no longer have to rely on consuming animals...
just like how CARS were invented.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.