vegan with unsupportive family, how to deal with them regarding activism? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM

This is something I have been struggling with for a long time. In my family and my community it's hard enough just being vegan. I want to do activism and really get out there and get my hands dirty.. but I worry because of my family. They already think that I am "extreme" and talk down to my family (hubby, kids and I) in relation to what we eat, or what we don't eat, and how "picky" we are. Same goes for things like cosmetics and other vegan lifestyle choices. How do you guys deal with it?

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

One of the most effective forms of activism is surprisingly easy and doesn't receive much criticism. It's leafleting.

You can do it in your spare time any place where it's busy. You can do it for 30 minutes or all day long. Your family is unlikely to complain because it doesn't have to effect them at all. You do it on your schedule and on your terms. You don't need any special equipment like signs or banners. You don't have to get up early or stay up late. You don't have to plan anything months in advance. You don't have to raise thousands of dollars. It will never make the news or bring FBI agents to your house. Almost everyone you talk to will be nice and polite. And best of all... you'll make a HUGE difference for animals and the planet.

Here's some more info:
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/action-center.aspx#7
http://www.cok.net/lit/leafleting.php
http://www.adoptacollege.org/
#3 Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 AM

Know how my family deals with my leafleting?

They don't know about it. I don't tell them. If they ask where I'm going I just say I wanna get some sunshine. That's what works for me because there's just no way most of them would understand. I live with my grandparents and don't have the means or the coin to live on my own right now. Recession and all that. My mom is more understanding. She's like 90% vegan herself.

As Elaine said, leafleting is painless and most of the people you encounter will smile and thank you, or smile and say "no thanks." Very few people will be rude and only a tiny fringe minority will actually confront you and want information. There's no shame in admitting you don't have all the answers, if they ask you something you don't know.

Tam! RUGH!
#4 Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesmom View Post

I worry because of my family. They already think that I am "extreme" and talk down to my family (hubby, kids and I) in relation to what we eat, or what we don't eat, and how "picky" we are.

Woah. If I had a family that expressed the opinion that I was picky, I'd just say, when I want your opinion I'll ask for it.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 11-02-2010, 12:33 PM

my activism gets done after dark so my family dont really know all that much about it, but im with nishani on this, by which i mean that if my family began to have too much input on my lifestyle, id shut them down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page