Calcium Chloride? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM

I was researching calcium chloride as I have some vegetarian chili which contains it, and all the results I got were that it was vegan, but with no explanation.

After further research I discovered it is derived from limestone or as a by-product of the Solvay process which involves limestone and salt brine.

But, limestone is a type of rock that is composed of calcium as a result of deposits from marine sea animals.

Is commercial calcium chloride truly vegan? Or is the calcium chloride that I'd find say, in my can of chili here, derived from another more vegan source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Limestone is composed of the calcareous remains of plants and animals that have been dead for many millions of years. There is no animal exploitation involved in making use of fossilized remains.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

its salt. nobody killed those fishies and jammed their little corspes into rocks to make it, any more than dinosaurs were killed on purpose to make petrol.
#4 Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

its salt. nobody killed those fishies and jammed their little corspes into rocks to make it, any more than dinosaurs were killed on purpose to make petrol.

this.
#5 Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Hmm, okay. I'm just aware that some serious vegans don't use petroleum-based products either because they avoid animal products altogether.
#6 Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelley View Post

Hmm, okay. I'm just aware that some serious vegans don't use petroleum-based products either because they avoid animal products altogether.

Though there are some who do this, they are few and far between from my experience. Mostly because that would mean that they don't even do things (ever) such as driving a car.
#7 Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

they better avoid fruit then too- cos bees pollinate it. also any vegetable grown in soil or with artificial nutrients, as it'll most likely have been involved in the dealings of worms and bugs, and be made with nutrients sourced from the decay of little creatures who have composted and make up the soil. they're also gonna struggle with walking on pavements, living in houses, using tools, etc.

everything is part of everything. what counts most to me, is not doing concious willing harm to creatures who are around now. anyone who died a bajillion years ago is kinda fair game, as far as i'm concerned. i doubt they'll be dreadfully offended or distressed.

most vegans i know who avoid petroleum stuff do so cos they beleive its foul and unhealthy, not cos it might have a bit of cow in it somewhere.
#8 Old 02-11-2009, 01:34 PM

Okay. Ah, now I feel obsessive lol. I just feel like it still has to do with dead things being inside me. Ahh =[
#9 Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:

They are confused about what constitutes animal exploitation, and what petroleum is actually composed of, which is almost completely plant and protist remains. Most dead animals got scavenged long before their bodies could have become transformed into oil. But even those who did end up turning into oil or tar aren't being exploited, because they died millions of years ago.

There are of course other good reasons to avoid petroleum use, but veganism isn't one of them. On that grounds soil and water wouldn't be vegan either.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:

After further research I discovered it is derived from limestone or as a by-product of the Solvay process which involves limestone and salt brine.

But, limestone is a type of rock that is composed of calcium as a result of deposits from marine sea animals.

Wait, srsly? Do you drive a car? That's driven by fossil fuels, composed partially of dead animals. Do you eat plants? Unless it's all grown hydroponically, it's grown in soil, containing nutrients from both dead animal and their feces. All carbon, an essential ingredient to all plants, was likely at one time particulate matter of an animal of some sort.

My point? I would suggest drawing the line somewhere soon, or you'll starve.
#11 Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM

Okay, okay. I was just asking.
#12 Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM

It was a very good observation! Never hesitate to ask anything.
#13 Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmtn View Post

It was a very good observation! Never hesitate to ask anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page