VeggieBoards banner

Help! Vegan Food Options in Indian Restaurant?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Tofu-N-Sprouts 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I love Indian food, but as far as I know almost every dish contains Ghee. Can you give any recommendations?

Thanx,

Emme

#2 ·
The only thing I can recommend is go in and talk to the staff. I can't think of a single item (aside from rice) that won't have some form of dairy in it that would be served in a typical Indian restaurant.

But honestly veganism is a concept that is very hard for Indians to understand. Dairy is used in most everything in large part because of the religious significance of cows to Hindus.

#3 ·
ask the people cooking in each indian restaurant you go to. the cooks will know what you can have, cos like with any cook and any meal, whats in it, depends on exactly who put what in it.

maybe they've got something without ghee, maybe they can make you something with vegetable oil, maybe they're already using a vegetable oil based ghee-substitute on the quiet instead of ghee, cos its cheaper and tastes the same (lots of places round here do, and i've seen the ghee substitute in supermarkets so i know they're not inventing it).

but suggesting say.... onion bhajis, or pilau rice, is a risky business, cos who knows whether or not the chef at any specific place uses his own special favourite buttery variation on a recipe that i've never seen ghee in.

#4 ·
The Indian restaurants around here have extensive vegetarian menus and most of it can be made vegan unless it has cheese in it. They use a "ghee-flavored oil" which is entirely vegetable based. (Except on some of their baked goods/naan, etc...).

Ask them which items can be made "pure vegetarian" which = vegan to most Indian cooks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.