VeggieBoards banner

Chattem, Inc does not test on animals--lots of common brand products

26K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  VeggieClaire 
#1 ·
Chattem, Inc. owns products like Selsun Blue, Aspercreme, Icy Hot, Sun In, Ultra Swim, Benzodent, Gold Bond, Pamprin, etc.

Go to www.chattem.com to check for them all.

Q: Hi, I see from your FAQ that your products do not contain animals, however I did not see anything about animal testing. Do you test your products or ingredients on animals? Thank you.

(I saw that on Selsun Blue's website)

A. Thank you for contacting Chattem, Inc. Chattem does not test on animals for any of its products. The only exception is where the product is mandated by the FDA and EPA; which is the BullFrog MOSQUITO COAST Sunblock and Insect Repellant, which is tested on mosquitoes for efficacy.

So, I guess with the exception of the mosquitoes. Just wanted to share.

#7 ·
I just read a letter claiming that Chattem tested Aspercreme on Beagles, sent from the department of health and human services in regards to the results and expiriments they've done with their products.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/dai...00/pdn0003.pdf

This was sent in 2000, so it's possible that they've "changed their ways." However, the more research I do on animal testing, I find that corporations often lie to the public in order to improve their reputation, or they find loopholes to make the lie semi-true, like pumping money into other companies that do the dirty work for them.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'd like to know if anyone else tests on their behalf.
Yeah, that's a sneaky little thing they like to do in order to claim that "they" don't test.

#11 ·
that's true actually i hadn't thought of that. or they will often say they don't test on a certain product when the reality is they already did the testing but aren't still actively doing it because the product hasn't changed

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Q: Hi, I see from your FAQ that your products do not contain animals, however I did not see anything about animal testing. Do you test your products or ingredients on animals? Thank you.

(I saw that on Selsun Blue's website)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Wait a minute. I didn't read anything about them being vegan. I just read they weren't tested on animals.
So I'm assuming if they don't test on animals, then they would be vegan because of the ingredients. Though I wonder if Chattem disregards the animal products that have been chemically altered so that they do not resemble the original product...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.