Vegan shampoos/conditioners/body washes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Which vegan shampoos/conditioners/body washes are available at any average store?

I've recently found out that the shampoos/conditioners/body washes were not vegan

And a lot of products have glycerin in them.

Its very difficult to know if they're animal or plant derived.

And I was wondering which products are vegan.

Thank you for any information that you can give me.

=]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 AM

I just posted this in the burts bees thread:

http://www.burtsbees.com/wcsstore/Be...ducts_List.pdf

Also, I make my own with this:

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

just dilute it with water, my significant other loves it. I like this one because it's fair trade and natural and definitely not petroleum base. It lasts forever too.

I hear good things about JASON cosmetics, though have never tried it.
#3 Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 AM

I use this shampoo and conditioner:

http://www.live-clean.com/index2.swf

And I use Dove unscented body wash for sensitive skin.

I pray that the glycerin in it is not animal derived, because this is the ONLY body wash I've found that my skin can tolerate.
#4 Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

I pray that the glycerin in it is not animal derived, because this is the ONLY body wash I've found that my skin can tolerate.

Here's something I found...

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for writing!

Caress, Lever 2000, and Dove Ultra Moisturizing Body Washes do not

contain animal matter. The glycerin in the product is not of animal

origin.

Any products containing the following ingredients may have animal by

products. Please check the ingredient label.

Glycerin - Is either natural or synthetic

Stearic Acid comes from Beef Tallow

Lanolin Alcohol is derived from animal matter

Oleic Acid - Derived from animal (beef or pork)

We hope this information is helpful!

Your friends at Unilever HPC

doveusa

#5 Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 PM

I usually just walk down the health food section at my local grocery store (they keep the body products there) and grab whatever is on sale. Stuff from caring companies usually says "NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS, NO ANIMAL INGREDIENTS" in huge bold letters right on the back.

St. Ives is one of the cheapest companies you can purchase decent shampoo and soap from. Nature's Gate and Tom's of Maine are both animal friendly, and I can find them at the store I shop at. If you have a Sally's, go look around there. A lot of the products say "Tested in a salon, not on animals." They also have a lot of sales.
#6 Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Wal-Mart (sorry I said it...Wal-Mart...I know they're bad but I don't live in a big city with a lot of options)-has a brand called Simply Basic which makes lotions and body sprays in several nice scents which state on the back -no animal testing or ingredients- and it's pretty cheap. like $3.50 for a bottle of lotion. also, walgreens does sell some vegan products-jason, alba, yes to carrots.
#7 Old 04-19-2008, 08:09 PM

also, i have found some vegan products at tjmaxx--like nature's gate, jason, etc. don't forget to check out the clearance racks. i have gotten good deals on these products. i also got vegan cookie mix from tjmaxx before.
#8 Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 AM

If you're going the cheap route, V05 doesn't test and is Vegan. I used to use that.

Also Samy products! http://www.samysalon.com/ - I hear they work well! I have been thinking about trying them....

*shameless plug* http://enlightenedbeauty.myarbonne.com - I can get you shampoo/conditioner samples. Check my sig...
#9 Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks Bells!

You just made my day.
#10 Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM

I usually use the WholeFoodsMarket brand 365's shampoo.

It's inexpensive, smells great, works great.

I like the mint.

#11 Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Jessica, there is a brand called Samy Fat that is carried by Walgreens, and is 100% vegan. I've not used their products though, so I can't comment as to price or effectiveness.

Whole Foods' house brand (365) makes a decent shampoo and conditioner that is, I think, $1.99/bottle.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 AM

thank you, it really helps out knowing the actual ingrediants that are in hygiene products that are not "vegan friendly". :)

#13 Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM

You would probably love Dr. Bronners! It's all fair trade, and vegan. Unless you're sensitive to coconut oil, you should good with this, as it's only a few organic ingrediants. It comes unscented, as well as several scents, as well as one formulated for babies.

I don't care for it for my hair. I like Whole Foods 365 as well. I've used the lavender.

Many products mentioned here, like Vo5, have parent companies which are notorious for animal testing. The final products may not be tested, but the ingrediants surely are.

Trader Joes, Whole Foods, White Rain, and the Ion line at Sallies are affordable vegan.

#14 Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Jason body wash, Giovanni 2chic shamp/cond with the leave in treatment; relatively inexpensive and 100% vegetarian
#15 Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Poo Pie Head

We just bought a bunch of white rain shampoo and conditioner as that brand is vegan friendly (although I have no idea if their parent company is)...
#16 Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Doesn't Dove/Unilever test on animals? Even if their products don't contain animal ingredients, I would not feel comfortable buying them if they test on animals.

#17 Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

#18 Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Right now I'm loving the body washes and shampoo from this company: https://www.desertessence.com/

#19 Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post

Right now I'm loving the body washes and shampoo from this company: https://www.desertessence.com/

Me too!! That's what i'm using right now. The tea tree one is amazing. It feels like it opens the pores in your scalp. It's like the cool feeling that you get from menthol, but on your head!

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#20 Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Me too!! That's what i'm using right now. The tea tree one is amazing. It feels like it opens the pores in your scalp. It's like the cool feeling that you get from menthol, but on your head!

Hmmmm...

Trader Joes has a Tea Tree Tingle that's vegan, organic, fair trade. 

I'd gotten kinda sick of tea tree- but now I think I'll try it next time I go. It's like $2.99 a bottle I think.

Let you know when I try it.

#21 Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM

How long do the Dr. Bronner products typically last?

#22 Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM

Bronners can be diluted A LOT. 

There was a blog that really gave a lot of good uses but I can't find it now.
Here is one that's okay-

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-dilute-dr-bronners-castile-soaps-different-11074942.html?cat=6

It works great in a foaming soap dispenser. I saved some from work and dilute about 1 oz. bronners to maybe 8 oz, water. Put the water in first!

I have the peppermint and the tea tree. I'm sick of both smells and add a few drops of essential oil to it. I'd get the unscented next time.

I have some peppermint in a spray bottle highly diluted that I'll spray on plants that get mites. Peppermint is also supposed to repel ants so I clean kitchen with it. 
I do hate it for my hair. 

#23 Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

dove is not vegan and they test on animals they are the major company that testes on animals procteor and gamble

#24 Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

dove is not vegan and they test on animals they are the major company that testes on animals procteor and gamble

Dove is not owned by P & G , but by Unilever, though Unilever does test on animals according to the PETA website. Unilever claims that it only tests on animals by government regulations and is implementing ways to reduce animal testing. I have been using Dove Men + Care for years since it's the only one that I can find that doesn't dry out and further damage my already sensitive skin. I'm in the process of looking for a better product, though I can't go around and buy everything I come across in hopes that there are better products that are vegan and suited for my skin type. Does anyone have any suggestions for better products that are similar? 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#26 Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM

I just bought some Organix shampoo and I love it! Definitely on the pricey side but it's organic and doesn't contain any harsh chemicals. And you can buy it pretty much anywhere. Wal-Mart, Target and Walgreens have it. 

#27 Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Do you wash daily? Try washing every other day.

Tea tree (meleleuca) is good for dandruff and itching. Trader Joes has a vegan tea tree shampoo and conditioner.

Try vinegar diluted in water. You can pour over your scalp and let it sit a bit before shampoo, and also as a rinse. It won't smell if you leave it on, unless your hair gets wet again! Or rinse out.

If you do wash everyday really dilute the shampoo you use. That might help.

559beatles likes this.
#28 Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM

guys i live in the middle east in amman/jordan and i can't find a vegan shampoos toothpstes.. what to do? and do you know if vo5 is vegan and if hamlaya are vegan?

#29 Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM

I use Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner. It is fantastic and the only thing I have found that ELIMINATES my dandruff. It says right on the bottle that it is cruelty free and vegan. Plus, the Aloe Vera conditioner smells so good! smitten.gif

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
#30 Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Silva: Hmmm, thank you. That is suite useful info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page