Nausea after eating vegan (2 weeks) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Okay, so I have been vegetarian for about a year now but for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been eating strictly vegan foods. Also I have cut caffine out of my diet as well as white flour. I've been trying to buy only organic products and eat healthier foods. It seems like ever since I changed my eating habits I have been getting nausea, stomach pains, and diarrhea. Maybe it's all the soy and my body just has to readjust? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be?

Either way I'm going to continue eating vegan after reading and getting more knowledge on how disgusting dairy products really are. I just found it odd that I would feel worse. I assumed I would feel better considering I changed my eating habits for the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Have you increased your fibre dramatically? If you're eating a lot more beans and veggies, that could definitely be the issue. You could also be sensitive to soy, wheat, or corn (if you've increased your intake of any of those).

Good luck on tracking down the cause!
#3 Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Have you increased your fibre dramatically? If you're eating a lot more beans and veggies, that could definitely be the issue. You could also be sensitive to soy, wheat, or corn (if you've increased your intake of any of those).

Good luck on tracking down the cause!

That's possible. I actually just had soy milk for the first time ever 2 weeks ago. I've been using rice milk as well.
#4 Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM

It may be just a sign of detox. If that is the case, ti should go away! how long has it been happening?

Make sure you are getting the required amount of vitamins and inerals!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 02-28-2008, 03:39 PM

That sounds similar to detox symptoms {no matter what you're detoxing from}. My guess is that it will go away within the next week or two. It's no fun in the meantime though, I'm sure!

Also, if you feel like it might be a sensitivity to soy, maybe eliminate it from your diet for a few days and see if it helps. You can try it with other things too, eliminate them for a few days. If your symptoms improve, the item you eliminated may be the culprit.

Congrats on going vegan, and good luck!
#6 Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM

We hear these types of things often on here from new veg*ns. I had similar problem when going omni to vegetarian, vegetarian to vegan. Medesha could very well be right, because I upped my fiber and I was having stomach/intestinal cramps, because my body was probably trying to pass all the gunk out. You'll feel better soon, try to not going heavy on the soy at first.
#7 Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM

I got pretty sick when I first became vegan! I persevered (sp?) though and am now a happy and healthy vegan I think it is just your body trying to adjust! I have never really had caffeine in my diet, but I have heard from others who have stopped caffeine intake cold turkey that they have had withdrawel symptoms from it!

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#8 Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM

It really could mainly be the caffeine. I have been addicted to caffeine a couple times and had to wean myself off of it. Even if you drink as little as 2 drinks with caffeine a day it can effect your head and your stomach! Also make sure your drinking TONS of water to help flush it all out and taking your b vitamin complex (diauretic) But other than that good luck!
#9 Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Yea I was used to drinking diet pop and coffee on a daily basis so it could very well be the caffine. Anyways thank you all for your comments. Hopefully I overcome these symptoms soon!!
#10 Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Till then keep to things that are easier to digest, if only to get rid of (or at least lighten) the diahrrea in the first place and let your system recover a tad--diahrrea flushes out a lot of the bacterial cultures in your intestines (so i've heard) and so eating really easy to digest foods helps give it a chance to recover.

Unfortunately the easiest is white rice and bread, but you're trying to get off the overprocessed... Brown rice (not wild!), pasta, oats (instant is easiest, but again very refined--rolled is next best) are also easier on your system. I'm not saying eat ONLY this, unless you're desperate to make the diahrrea stop, but it should alleviate your problems a bit if you eat a bit more of it for a few days...

Actually, all things considered I'm not surprised you're getting these symptoms--going 100% plant based as well as cutting out refined flour is a huge spike in fibre intake! Going off caffeine can't help. Not that I condemn this, just saying: I wouldnt worry too much, it isn't unexpected, it should go away.

Good advice on eating/drinking habits while you have diahrrea: http://www.healthcastle.com/diarrhea.shtml no matter what the cause of it is, you don't want to get dehydrated *nodnod*
#11 Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 PM

If I drink too much Silk soy it gives me stomach issues, otherwise I have no trouble with soy (either other brands of soymilk or other forms such as tofu). Maybe try mixing things up.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page