B vitamins and fluorescent urine. Correlation? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

A friend and I both bought the same B- complex supplement last night. We both took the supplement with lunch today. We both could now sell our urine to Brite-Liner highlighter company for use as ink in their markers. Is there an established correlation between these two things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM

Yes. Too much nutritional yeast can make stinky, strong colored pee!!!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM

at least it gets peed out though XD
#4 Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 AM

there is some correlation here. we learned about it in one of my nutrition classes, but i honestly cant remember what it is. i think its just something they use in the vitamins that's getting excreted, but not all vitamins are easily absorbed through taking pills, so it's probably some vitamins, too.
#5 Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Yep. I take a B complex daily and my tinkle is bright yellow and smells sort of vitamin-y. TMI, I know.
#6 Old 01-30-2008, 07:21 AM

I've taken sublingual B12s that warn it might make fluorescent pee. FUN! Science experiment.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM

When I take a multivitamin, I find that my urine turns a brighter yellow. Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal and actually is a very common outcome of taking a multivitamin. This change in urine color is mainly due to the occurrence of a specific B vitamin called riboflavin also known as vitamin B2. This change in urine color is to be expected with the intake of vitamin B2 and is no cause for alarm.

and

The use of B complex in a dose of 100 mg once to three times a day with meals is recommended per patient tolerance. If the B complex is being absorbed the urine will be bright yellow and have a pungent smell due to the riboflavonoids present. This is to be expected and should not cause alarm. If no change in urine color is noted then suspect that your brand of B complex is not being absorbed by your body- change brands.
#8 Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Gracias, Herr Doktor!!!

http://www.bga.com/anr/anrrda.html

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM

When my brother was a kid, the only reason he would take a B vitamin complex was because he liked the way it made his pee look. I'm serious. He even talked about it.
#10 Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

When my brother was a kid, the only reason he would take a B vitamin complex was because he liked the way it made his pee look. I'm serious. He even talked about it.

that's just weird.
#11 Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM

flourescent pee is a great party trick.

you'll be the envy of all your friends. screw criss angel!!
#12 Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Yellow high-lighter pee!

I know it sounds gross, but I'm kind of fascinated by the way urine and feces change with a person's diet.

About ten years ago, I had sonic wave surgery to break up kidney stones. During the surgery, they had to put in a catheter. After the surgery, they took the catheter out and I peed every color in the rainbow.
#13 Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootchick View Post

I peed every color in the rainbow.

#14 Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 AM

i think it is fascinating, too. the first time i ate a bunch of roasted beets, well....

i thought i was dying.
#15 Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 PM

i have the same thing, but i only have one florescent pee a day. on the same note, since i started taking an iron supplement, my... bowel movements are dark in colour. hot, i know.
#16 Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 AM

Does anyone know if you are taking B vitamin supplements and you don't pee yellow, does that mean your body is deficient in the vitamin and you are absorbing more of it? Is is yellow because it's extra that your body doesn't need? Someone asked me that at work and I didn't know the answer. Just wondering.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#17 Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Does anyone know if you are taking B vitamin supplements and you don't pee yellow, does that mean your body is deficient in the vitamin and you are absorbing more of it? Is is yellow because it's extra that your body doesn't need? Someone asked me that at work and I didn't know the answer. Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leminchyl View Post

The use of B complex in a dose of 100 mg once to three times a day with meals is recommended per patient tolerance. If the B complex is being absorbed the urine will be bright yellow and have a pungent smell due to the riboflavonoids present. This is to be expected and should not cause alarm. If no change in urine color is noted then suspect that your brand of B complex is not being absorbed by your body- change brands.

Does this kind of answer your question? I might try looking up something else...
#18 Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 AM

I'm not sure...I think I need to understand the workings of the kidneys better.

I think I was thinking the opposite, that if your body wasn't absorbing it would be passed in the urine, hence the reason it soluble and we don't have to worry about overdosing...oh, heck....*runs off to do some googling*....

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#19 Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Geesh...I killed the pee thread....

#20 Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Geesh...I killed the pee thread....

*** Runs in to give pee thread emergency CPR ***
#21 Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Am I the only person who thinks it's fascinating that asparagus makes everyones pee smell but not everyone can smell it?
#22 Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 PM

When I drink coffee, my pee smells like coffee for the next two times I pee.

#23 Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM

If its coming out its clearly not being absorbed.

its because you don't need riboflavin (you're overflowing). Don't stop taking the b complex though - B2 is just one of the vitamins in there.
#24 Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

I agree with twodot, there's 12 vitamins in the b complex, and you don't want to stop taking the other vitamins just because you're body is not absorbing one of them.
#25 Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Well, it is cool to have neon-colored urine

But as everyone has been saying, it's normal because your body excretes excess water-soluble vitamins
#26 Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHumanist View Post

Well, it is cool to have neon-colored urine

But as everyone has been saying, it's normal because your body excretes excess water-soluble vitamins

Niceness, I have the same thing going on, you ought to check it out where there is flouresence light, its spectackular, if you look at it from an artistic point of view...Haha.

blessed
#27 Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

I sort of want to take riboflavin now to make this happen! Fun times!
#28 Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Yes! I get the same thing when I take my vitamins. I like it though. I think it looks snazzy. =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page