What are the best vegan creamers? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Beginner

Right now, the only bit of dairy in my diet is in my morning cup...there's milk derivatives in the cream I use. I don't like the soy milks I've tried...and I've not yet come across a creamer sans milk derivatives. I never got around to browsing Whole Foods Market (I asked about it last week) because, honestly, I found wayyy cheaper alternatives in my regular grocer. Did anybody know tons of generic brands of different spreads and sauces are vegan? Maybe that's not helpful to those of you who have developed a taste for certain expensive vegan foods...I actually prefer the taste of generic brands of accidentally vegan foods (lol) to the more expensive vegan brands I've purchased. Unfortunately, even the generic creamers have milk derivatives in them. Any info on a great tasting and reasonably priced creamer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Beginner

I do not like soy millk at all...but the Silk brand soy creamer tastes great to me!! And they come in flavors like vanilla and hazelnut....but I like the plain since I used to be a half and half/heavy cream addict.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Ankle Biter

^^^what she waid. I love the Silk plain creamer! It may take you a day ro two to get used to it, but most omnis I know don't mind it.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4 Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Beginner

If you have a Trader Joe's around they may carry their own line of vegan creamer in the refrigerated section. They have one here, and it's just as good as the Silk (but less expensive).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Banned

agree, agree, agree, Silk creamer all the way!
#6 Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Beginner

I don't use a creamer but have found that a sweetened chocolate almond milk adds a nice twist to things. May or may not be of interest to but I thought I'd toss it out there.
#7 Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Beginner

Silk creamer! Yum!! So happy this stuff exists.
#8 Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrLinus View Post

I don't use a creamer but have found that a sweetened chocolate almond milk adds a nice twist to things. May or may not be of interest to but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Whenever I drink coffee, that is exactly what I do. I pour in some chocolate almond milk or some chocolate soy milk. Very Vanilla Silk also goes great with coffee. I was making imitation vanilla lattes like that when I gave up Starbucks.
#9 Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Beginner

I have yet to find a non-dairy creamer that is actually creamy enough for me. I have tried rice, almond, soy milks, soy creamer.... they are just all so watery to me. I'm still searching for that perfect creamer. I'm planning on stopping at WF (maybe even today after work) for ideas. Keep the suggestions coming! I want this to be the year that I give up dairy.
#10 Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Someone on another veg forum suggested coconut milk. I've tried that and found it curdled but I may not have mixed it enough. Try it though, it sounds like it would be wonderful!!
#11 Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Beginner

I'm sorta leery of a silk brand creamer (as I really hate the milk) but I'll try it! I actually tried to make my own creamer by blending tofu and vanilla extract...needless to say, it was disgusting lol
#12 Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Beginner

I really hate soymilk but I like creamer. The only one I can get in the UK is soyatoo, dunno if that even exists in the US. Definitely give it a go or get used to black.
#13 Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Trader Joes soy creamer is great!!!
#14 Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Beginner

another vote for silk soy creamer
#15 Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Beginner

Silk creamer, especially with a pinch of cinnamon added to coffee <3
#16 Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Ok, I thought I'd use this thread to post my question which is sort of similar.

I have no idea really what creamer is (Im in Australia, FYI)

But in a lot of recipes it says "vegan creamer", can I just use milk? Or wouldn't it work?
#17 Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Creamer is usually a slightly thicker, creamier version of milk. Most people put it in their coffee. It probably won't make much difference but that depends on what you're making. Vegan creamer is usually pretty easy to find if you can find soy milk it should be by that.

HTH!
#18 Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

I have yet to find a non-dairy creamer that is actually creamy enough for me. I have tried rice, almond, soy milks, soy creamer.... they are just all so watery to me. I'm still searching for that perfect creamer. I'm planning on stopping at WF (maybe even today after work) for ideas. Keep the suggestions coming! I want this to be the year that I give up dairy.

If you added some soymilk powder to the soy creamer would it be creamier?
#19 Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula View Post

I'm sorta leery of a silk brand creamer (as I really hate the milk) but I'll try it! I actually tried to make my own creamer by blending tofu and vanilla extract...needless to say, it was disgusting lol

lol

sounds like it probably would be disgusting.

Ew.. your coffee would taste like vanilla tofu. *gag*
#20 Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Beginner

If you have an asian market near you, you can buy powdered coconut milk, it works a lot like those powdered "Coffee-mate" creamers (and it's cheap!)....

OR if you're like my sister who hates soy, and ONLY used half-and-half and missed that thick, almost fatty flavour in her coffee... I mixed silk creamer with a little powdered coconut milk and it made a very thick, creamy, NON-SOY-TASTING creamer...

Of course, that's a lot of fuss and bother, eventually she started drinking coffee with just Silk Soy Creamer.

Quote:
...tons of generic brands of different spreads and sauces are vegan? Maybe that's not helpful to those of you who have developed a taste for certain expensive vegan foods...I actually prefer the taste of generic brands of accidentally vegan foods (lol) to the more expensive vegan brands

I TOTALLY AGREE!! I don't have easy access to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, fancy brands or health-food stores. I shop discount stores, order bulk or use outlet warehouses. I find so many generic and store-brand "accidentally vegan" items that are just GREAT!!

(Oh, and Silk Soy Creamer is available at most any mainstream grocery, even some of the cheapie budget ones)
#21 Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Beginner

silk soy creamer!!!
#22 Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Beginner

i tried the silk creamer and didn't like it. i like soy milk, just not in coffee.

does anyone know of a powered vegan creamer, like a coffee- mate type thing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page