Is it okay to eat ONLY fruits + veggies + nuts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Beginner

As much as I love cooking, I have to say that I am now officially tired of it. Probably because I've done it SO much. And have been thinking about just holding it off till the weekends. So is it healthy to live off of the following things. (As long as I make sure to eat enough calories.)

A variety of fruits/ veggies (brocolli, carrots, peas, tomatoes, garlic, onion, asparagus, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, squash, cauliflower, potatoes, apples, bananas, berries, oranges, tangerines, kiwi, mangos, pears, grapes, etc.)

Nuts

Organic Whole grain or pumpernickle bread

Pasta/ couscous (occasionally)

Brown rice (occasionally)

Soy yogurt

Cereal

Whole Wheat Bulgar

Vanilla soy milk

Dried Fruit

condiments like: Peanut butter, Jam, Agave nectar, Smart balance light, mustard, olive oil, tofutti cream cheese.

Luna bars (occasionally)

Chocolate soy icecream (occasionally)

Old fashioned oats

Whole grain crackers

Tofu

Vegetarian multi vitamins (one everyday)

Anybody have any feedback? Or REALLY easy "recipes." Or anything that I should add to my grocery list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Beginner

i would maybe consider adding a little bit more protein besides nuts. ^^'
#3 Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Where are the beans and lentils?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Beginner

I hate beans but I do eat chickpeas and brown rice. I have yet to try some lentils. Until I get the hang of being a vegan, I'm gonna continue taking a vegetarian multi vitamin each day.
#5 Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Beginner

I'd say that it is perfectly healthy to eat fruits, veggies and only nuts. You can easily look online and find out if the food you are eating in a day gives you enough calcium, protien, calories, etc.
#6 Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Oh I should have added tofu to my list too. I grew up eating tofu in my Korean meals. But now I like it alone too.
#7 Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Beginner

you can get canned beans of almost any kind, just open them, rinse them, and dump them in a skillet, preferably one where you've sauteed some onions or something first to give them some flavor, or put them in with some tomatoe sauce and herbs.

Also, buy some tofu--I always have a few packages lying around. Ultimate lazy food: open the tofu, add some salt and stick it in the microwave for a few minutes. Tasty? Not the best thing you've ever had, no. Edible and fast? yep.

Anyway, as long as you focus more on the veggies and fruit, (plus some legumes/beans please) and less on the soy products and pastas, you should be perfectly fine. In fact, that sums up what I eat altogether anyway. What else would you be eating? Cooking is just mixing together those things with some heat in certain ratios.

edit: i see you say you eat tofu alone. It's not recommended you eat tofu raw, though they say if its packaged in an airtight container its ok? Either way, to be safe I prefer to microwave it at the least to be on the safe side. Steaming and sauteeing is also extremely quick.
#8 Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I eat tofu plain- but not un cooked. I do heat it up. I just don't mind it without any seasonings.
#9 Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelly~Bell View Post

i would maybe consider adding a little bit more protein besides nuts. ^^'

Didn't you see the whole grains and vegetables? She'll be getting plenty of protein if she eats enough calories.
#10 Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Beginner

I make sure to eat enough calories each day to maintain my weight. Otherwise I lose weight kinda easily. So I try to keep track, I also eat 3 medium meals + 2 snacks everyday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page