EMERGEN-C ingredients? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Hi all, I'm feeling under the weather today, and am starting with a sorethroat. Previous to 2 weeks ago, I'd have just grabbed an emergen-c packet and called it good, but now am thinking it might have animal ingredients....does anyone out there know offhand?

thanks, nv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Well Vegan Essentials sells it, under Antioxidants, I can't get a like directly to it, tho.

I hope you feel better.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#3 Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 PM

thank ya much.....I went ahead and took some, and am going to bed soon. 'pershiate your help!
#4 Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 PM

I take it almost every day...I love it!! But now you have me curious as to the ingredients!!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#5 Old 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Maybe you can help me with the ingred. Karenlovessnow, I've tried for a while to learn about glycine. Have only found out it was originally derived (in 1820)from gelatin , and silk fibroins, whatever they are! but I couldn't find anything about how they are made in this modern day....if it's still from animal, or possibly beans, as they contain it too. Guess I should have paid more attention in science class, 'cause most the sites I went were pretty intimidating!! Now my head hurts, and I've given up(for now).

However, due to illness will take one more packet before bed, and pray for forgiveness if I find out otherwise.

nv
#6 Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 PM

I was under the impression that they were all vegan except for the ones with Vitamin D3 in them. But I haven't done any research on them.

And be careful how many of those things you take. Yes, vitamins are good, but too many can definitely be bad
#7 Old 07-28-2007, 02:27 PM

No Ma'am, Won't over do it.....my doc said I can take 4 a day and be safe......however I never take more than 2 a day, and only when I'm sick.

thanks for the concern
#8 Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 PM

You're welcome

It's just that I know some people who drink 4+ a day on a regular basis - up to the point where you might start seeing side effects from all the vitamin C, not to mention getting more than you need of the other vitamins.

I hope you're feeling better soon!
#9 Old 07-28-2007, 03:24 PM

side effects from too much vitamin C?? elaborate please...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#10 Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Nausea, abdominal cramps, diarrhea. It may also interfere with some medications, and may lead to kidney stones in certain individuals. The upper limit for vitamin C is set at 2000 mg (2g), but it's very rare that someone would need more than 200 mg. (I believe the Emergen-C's have between 500 and 1000mg). For healthy, non-smoking people, 75-100 mg is considered adequate.
#11 Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 PM

Everything I'm finding so far indicates that glycerin in NOT vegan

This was a pretty good website that I stumbled upon:

http://vegan-info.com/additives.html#G

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#12 Old 07-28-2007, 05:02 PM

I was taking one packet of Emergen-C a day (1000mg of C) and had no ill effects. That seemed to be enough for me to reap the benefits. The box does suggest taking 2-4 daily.

#13 Old 07-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Glycerin can be animal or vegetable-based. The only way to find out would be to contact the company to find out which source they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I was taking one packet of Emergen-C a day (1000mg of C) and had no ill effects. That seemed to be enough for me to reap the benefits. The box does suggest taking 2-4 daily.

Taking 2-4g of vitamin C a day is excessive. Your body can only absorb about 500 mg a day, IIRC. A good rule of thumb when taking vitamins is to not take more than 100% of the RDA for the vitamins & minerals within it (although there can be exceptions to this: some vitamins are quite safe to take in large doses, particularly B12).

Of course they want you to take 2-4 a day - they do have a product to sell, and the more you consume, the better it is for them

Here an interesting articles on the dangers of taking high doses of vitamin C:

Vit C
#14 Old 07-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks, fyvel, I didn't know that! I was under the impression that vitamin C was 'water soluble' so you couldn't o/d on it. Interesting. I'll stick to my fresh fruits/veggies!

I'm curious about the glycerin still, so maybe I'll drop an e-mail to the company and see what they have to say, if they respond at all.

#15 Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM

You're welcome It's actually pretty hard to not get enough vit C. Unless you're eating a SAD diet with no fruits, veggies, juice, etc. I think that would be pretty hard to do
#16 Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Good info, .....is glycerine the same as 'GLYCINE'...same family???

will have to contact emergen-c co. and find out I guess.

Thanks for the input all!! (handy website, Karenlovessnow)!!!
#17 Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 PM

As far as I can tell, glycine is another of those that could be derived from animal or plant sources.

From the Emergen-C website FAQ:

Quote:

Which of your products contain animal derivatives?

* Joint Health Emergen-C contains Glucosamine derived from crustacean shellfish and Chondroitin derived from bovine..

* Immune Defense Emergen-C and Lozenges contain Honey derived from beeswax.

I notice they didn't mention vitamin D3, which as far as I know, is always derived from animals, and is in some of their products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page