Milk - Detox? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2007, 02:33 PM

I read some stuff about milk detox. Is it really true that when you stop drinking milk or any dairy for just one week your body will expel all of the mucus that you supposedly have inside of you? Do you really notice any changes after cutting milk or this is just an exaggeration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Not a clue, but to be honest i've felt happier and had more energy since giving up dairy. Think it was a good step for me, as milk had started to make me feel a bit ill anyway (my cereal kept reappearing an hour after i'd eaten it!! )
#3 Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM

I feel a hell of a lot better since bc vegan 2.5 yrs ago. I never had many ailments prior to veg/vegan but since going vegan I now have none--and I'm 43 yrs old.

Do I still have mucus? Yes. But I am allergic to pretty much everything that flies through the air.

Also, this may be tmi but I still have my tonsils. Ever since adolesence, I'd always (maybe every week or so--more often if I went excavating) these had to deal with these chunks (gravel-like) of white, semisoft, stinky crap would come out of the crevices in my tonsils. I was never able to figure out what that crap was and no doctor was ever clear. I'm not sure if they even knew. But, since bc vegan, I never get that crap any more.

I cannot emphasize enough how you do not need dairy in your diet. After about a week off it, you will stop wanting it, too. Yes, even cheese!

Read the following book for an explanation why:

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Food-...5224341&sr=8-2

Go for it!
#4 Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 PM

wow, i dated a person with that stinky white crap and i couldn't stand to kiss him anymore! glad it stopped for you...
#5 Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Yeah, it was pretty gross.

And I had no idea what to do to get rid of it. I had nothing wrong with my tonsils and so no reason to have them removed and I couldn't cut them out myself.

Glad it's behind me now.
#6 Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

i also did not go through any "detox" period but i have to agree with previous posters that i feel way better without dairy (i think i am slightly lactose intolerant or something) and i also stopped craving cheese very quickly
#7 Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Getting rid of all the mucus in your body is a flatly ridiculous claim. Mucus is an important part of your barrier against invading microbes in the nose, mouth, throat, and respiratory tract, and is constantly produced by the cells that line these spaces. I therefore would not trust any other information from the same source.

Which is not to say getting rid of dairy will not improve your health. I've gone a week with no dairy and not noticed anything one way or another, but experiences differ.
#8 Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM

I've been without any dairy for 2 weeks now.....my CONSTANT allergy symptoms(sinus issues, congested ears, throat drainage) have decreased significantly....not gone, I suspect it will take a little longer to get it all completely out of the system.

On the wknd I work with an elderly lady who used to get diarrhea 'blowouts' every 2-3 days.......she had alot of yogurt, cott.cheese, milk, ice-cream etc. After 1 week without dairy the blowouts cut down to 1 a week, and it took a good 2 months to get it all out of her system.... we have now been 2 months without a single blow out, and I truly believe it was getting the dairy out of her diet that was the key!
#9 Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 PM

I have way, way less mucus now than I did when consuming dairy. I didn't even realize I felt better until quite a while after I'd stopped...

Oh, and CHOCSOYMILK: the nasty tonsil grossness is called Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones... {{{shudder}}}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

My daughter had it (them?) until she had her tonsils removed.
#10 Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh, and CHOCSOYMILK: the nasty tonsil grossness is called Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones... {{{shudder}}}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

#11 Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Tom

I don;t know that I went through a detox when I started cutting back on dairy, but I get the impression that I started having trouble digesting dairy at that same time. None of my blood relatives have lactose intolerance, and using lactose-free dairy products didn't make any difference, so I don't know what was going on.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page