No Coffee/Tea before, after, or with meals?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Beginner

So I heard that having Coffee/Tea before after or with meals doesnt let your body absorbe all the nutrients it needs...

So how long before and after should you not drink it and are there any other key points to look out for to make sure we get ALL the nutrients we need.??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Beginner

really?

hmm. interesting.

I've also heard of not drinking any water while eating so that your body can absorb the nutrients. I wonder if the coffee/tea thing is linked to that as a liquid, or if it's the caffeine or tannin.
#3 Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Beginner

Caffeine and tannins are indeed known for hindering the absorbtion of nutrients. I think iron absorption can be hindered by coffee.
#4 Old 06-13-2007, 03:13 AM
Beginner

Things generally hang around in your stomach for around 4 hours or so (depending on what it is) so I would imagine keeping that much distance between them would keep everything spaced apart. Thats just a guess though.
#5 Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Beginner

I've heard that it's not good to drink with your meals because it dilutes the acids necessary for digestion...I'm going to go do some googling just out of curiosity on the subject, specifically about the coffee/tea...

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#6 Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Beginner

yes, definitely coffee/ caffeine inhibits iron absorption. but you should be eating iron rich foods throughout the day so i wouldn't worry so much.

and also, your stomach pH is pretty constant--more liquid would just mean a greater influx of protons to keep the pH low.
#7 Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Beginner

According to the British Food Standards Agency: "it's better not to drink tea or coffee at mealtimes or for half an hour afterwards. This is because tea and coffee contain compounds called polyphenols that might reduce the amount of iron we can absorb from food." Eating vitamin C-rich foods with a meal helps the absorption of iron.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/irondeficiency/
#8 Old 06-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

*sips tea* I usually drink my tea before I eat in the morning. I've been told that it's good to drink water with meals though, otherwise you're likely to overeat. I eat less food when I drink a lot of water.
#9 Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Beginner

That's so ironic because I'm drinking my morning cup of coffee right now and I just had a bowl of cereal......Oops!
#10 Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Beginner

>.>

<.<

Breakfast today I had a banana, strawberries, kiwi, and water - lunch was two avocado/cucumber sandwiches and raw corn on the cob . . .

... and an amaretto mocha.

The energy and liveness that i felt from the 90% raw intake that day was lowered upon drinking the sugary, coffee, alcohol beverage.
#11 Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

veggie4life - I was just finishing off the cup of tea that I had with breakfast as I was reading this *hehe*

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page