Animal Ingredients List from CaringConsumer.com - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Many threads pop up asking for a list like this.

Quote:
PETA's list of animal ingredients and their alternatives helps consumers avoid animal ingredients in food, cosmetics, and other products. Please note, however, that it is not all-inclusive. There are thousands of technical and patented names for ingredient variations. Furthermore, many ingredients known by one name can be of animal, vegetable, or synthetic origin. If you have a question regarding an ingredient in a product, call the manufacturer. Good sources of additional informa-tion are the Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, the Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, or an unabridged dictionary. All of these are available at most libraries.

http://caringconsumer.com/resources_...ients_list.asp

If you join the Animal Savings Club, you can receive more information about supporting animal-friendly products and companies. I happened to receive a small pocket guide list of animal ingredients when I signed up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 AM

I dunno if its already been posted before.

But I found this website;

http://www.isitvegan.info/

Which as proved a great resource for me.

Its so simple, typ in the name of a product, or catogory of product you want and it tells you quickly if its vegan friendly or not by either a green tick or a red cross.

Takes seconds to check a whole variety of products.

I dunno how valuble a resouce it would be for anyone living outside of the UK.

But I think for anyone in the UK its a must have in your favourits.
#3 Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM

Wow! That's a really long list!

Are you supposed to know all of those by heart? I certainly don't!

I just stay away from rennet, glyserol/glyserin, gelatine, b-vitamins, and other well known substanses that may come from animals.

#4 Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by turistattraksjo View Post

Wow! That's a really long list!

Are you supposed to know all of those by heart? I certainly don't!

I just stay away from rennet, glyserol/glyserin, gelatine, b-vitamins, and other well known substanses that may come from animals.

Don't avoid all B vitamins! They're essential vitamins in our diet, and there are vegan sources. B12 deficiency is one of the more common problems from a veg*n diet, but it can easily be avoided by taking supplements or consuming vegan products that contain B12 (I get my B12 from fortified soy milk).

--Fromper

#5 Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Don't avoid all B vitamins! They're essential vitamins in our diet, and there are vegan sources. B12 deficiency is one of the more common problems from a veg*n diet, but it can easily be avoided by taking supplements or consuming vegan products that contain B12 (I get my B12 from fortified soy milk).

--Fromper

I take vegan b-vitaminsupplies, but here in Spain they put vitamins in many foods, and it isn't marked wether it's veg*an or not, so I avoid the ones that are added in food
#6 Old 05-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T(m)B!B View Post

I dunno if its already been posted before.

But I found this website;

http://www.isitvegan.info/

Which as proved a great resource for me.

Its so simple, typ in the name of a product, or catogory of product you want and it tells you quickly if its vegan friendly or not by either a green tick or a red cross.

Takes seconds to check a whole variety of products.

I dunno how valuble a resouce it would be for anyone living outside of the UK.

But I think for anyone in the UK its a must have in your favourits.

Thats the one i use, whenever i'm unsure about a certain product i go and check it on there.

It's helped me alot.

F x
#7 Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Does anyone know if Minute Maid orange juice for kids is vegan? I was looking at the ingredients and wasn't sure about the Vitamin D3 in the ingredients list. I thought that all sources of D3 were animal-based.

Here are the other ingredients in case there's another questionable ingredient in there:

"Contains water, concentrated orange juice, less than 2% of: calcium phosphate and calcium lactate (calcium sources), vitamin E (alpha-tocoheryl acetate), beta carotene, vitamin D3"

Source: www.minutemaid.com

I apologize if I stuck this reply in the wrong thread. I did a search for the topic and didn't want to start another thread just for orange juice.
#8 Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure about Minute Maid, but I know that Tropicana insists that the D3 in their fortified OJ is artificial and not from animal sources. That's what I usually buy.

And you should probably just start a new thread. You're more likely to get the attention of someone who might know the answer that way.

--Fromper

#9 Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

The Caring Consumer List is NOT accurate. Their listings for lactic acid and urea, for example, are just plain Wrong.

Check out http://shakahara.com/mindex.html for these ingredients. Urea is listed under nitrogen or urethane.

Determining the Earthly Origin of commercial materials is my LIFE. It is what I do. You may toss me a buck or 2 for the work I do, to help you determine the EO of commercial materials, the same way you may put a buck or 2 in a musician's cup. Just look for the donations page.
#10 Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

I wanted to remark that they are wasting our time by putting feathers, bone meal, and horse hair, on the list. Everyone instantly recognizes these as animal products. Nor are they there simply to make the list "complete" because their are 1000's of substances that they left out.
#11 Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janie View Post

If you join the Animal Savings Club, you can receive more information about supporting animal-friendly products and companies. I happened to receive a small pocket guide list of animal ingredients when I signed up!

Thanks for mentioning that! It's too bad it takes up to 10 weeks to recieve. At least it saves printing it off and carrying around a 8x11 page to the store.

I usually end up buying products I think are safe, then get home to thoroughly look up ingredients and find myself wrong. Still getting a hang of it though...
#12 Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I was curious about OreIda Onion Rings and French Fries and I ran across this section of their website:

http://www.oreida.com/quicktipsfaqs/vegan.aspx

It impressed me that they have a vegan section! Oh, and the product code apparently is the last 5 digits of the bar code.

That's really awesome when major companies like that actually take the time to inform us. Wouldnt it be so nice if every food item said "vegan", or "not vegan" on the box... lol, yeah right! some companies are so sneaky.
#13 Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Just for keeping things in one place here's the page I compiled with columns:

Animal ingedients list on one page.doc 30k . file
#14 Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

"Just for keeping things in one place here's the page I compiled with columns:"

commercially sold urea, uric acid, and carbamide are not animal products. They are made from natural gas or petroleum, and air.

Alcohol is rarely if ever made from animal materials. Most "wax" is non-animal.

Carminic acid is listed twice.

FD&C colors are made from coal or petroleum.

Ribonucleic acid is listed twice. Tallow is listed at least 4 times.
#15 Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Look Man, I just took the list from caring consumer that Chicagoan had compiled without all the descriptions and formatted it. I'll go back and fix it but seriously... I was just trying to be helpful. The information is out there if anyone needs to adjust this thing for themsleves.

Where's my fact checker?? lol
#16 Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

I don't see anyone named Chicagoan in this thread.
#17 Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

YOu have the column widtsh set so that many items need 2 lines to display, and that means you can't tell which word of a 2-word or 3-word substance is the first word.
#18 Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

YOu have the column widtsh set so that many items need 2 lines to display, and that means you can't tell which word of a 2-word or 3-word substance is the first word.

I know im new here and all, but if you are SO much better then why don't you do us all a favor and do it yourself? She (I assume) was just trying to help and I for one am very thankful for all the help I can get.
#19 Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Beachbnny thank you. I'll print that and stick it in my wallet. At least until I get my pocket sized list from PETA. I appreciate it, even if you listed tallow at least four times and even though the column "widtsh" set is effed.
#20 Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks Garnett and Pogo It's something that gets asked about a lot around here and I was just tryin to help. Good intentions are often scrutinized though. It's a long freakin list, one that I copied out of another thread, from another member. When I get time, I'll go through and fix it.

As for the "tallow" issue, Soilman, you can take that up with the caring consumer guide website as that is how they list it.
#21 Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know im new here and all, but if you are SO much better then why don't you do us all a favor and do it yourself? She (I assume) was just trying to help and I for one am very thankful for all the help I can get.

here ya go. It took me a minute longer to do it correctly instead of incorrectly. However it is a waste of time being that the list is rife with errors. It doesn't quite fit on one page now, but at least you can tell where one ingredient ends and the next one starts.

Animal ingedients list2.doc 30.5k . file
#22 Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

#23 Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM

The whole point was so it was on ONE page. You've just made it two pages. If it's full of errors, then fix it. I've gone and checked it now twice and it's the exact list from caringconsumer.com. If you're debating one of the most comprehensive animal ingredient lists to date then you should publish your own. /end discussion
#24 Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

The errors are from 2 sources, (1) from caring consumer and (2) introduced by you when you caused substance names to be broken up in the middle of the name. I can't fix all the errors, only the ones that I am knowledgable about.

It is NOT the most comprehensive list to date. There a couple of others, which have been mentioned before on veggieboards, that are more comprehensive, and have less errors. Search veggieboards. If they aren't too long ago, you may find them.
#25 Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

For example, an error I know about is in regard to urea, which is synonymous with carbamide. While it is present in urine, that does not mean that commercial urea comes from urine. In fact, commercial urea, unless it specifically says "comes from natural animal urine" is almost 100 percent certain to come from "synthetic ammonia" which is made by combining natural nitrogen in the air, with natural gas or petroleum products. http://shakahara.com/nitrogen.shtml http://shakahara.com/mindex.html
#26 Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Beta carotene comes from plants. It is not made from animals.

I wonder if I would ever have figured out where blood comes from if it wasn't on this list of "hidden animal ingredients." Bone char? Calfskin? They are wasting people's time with that. Everyone knows where these things come from.
#27 Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM

In case you haven't noticed, many many ingredients can be made with vegan sources but aren't easily decipherable.

CaringConsumer.com actually states this:

Quote:
PETA's list of animal ingredients and their alternatives helps consumers avoid animal ingredients in food, cosmetics, and other products. Please note, however, that it is not all-inclusive. There are thousands of technical and patented names for ingredient variations. Furthermore, many ingredients known by one name can be of animal, vegetable, or synthetic origin. If you have a question regarding an ingredient in a product, call the manufacturer. Good sources of additional information are the Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, the Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, or an unabridged dictionary. All of these are available at most libraries.

I'm sorry for you that you have such a difficult time with this list but it has long been the list that most people refer to. I have it on my ipod, at one time I had the whole thing printed out and I took That with me to the grocery store. At the website, each ingredient has a description and offers the other possible vegan alternatives that could possibly be masquerading under the same name. It's the most comprehensive list out there and I'm damn thankful for it. I don't know why you have such an issue with this and I don't know why your issue with my attempt at providing some sort of additional convenience for others bothers me so. But it does.

ETA:

Quote:
Carotene. Provitamin A. Beta Carotene.

A pigment found in many animal tissues and in all plants. Used as a coloring in cosmetics and in the manufacture of vitamin A.

I'll say it again, if you have such a problem with the list contact PETA and get it resolved at the source or publish your own. As for me, I'm out of this discussion. Have a nice day.
#28 Old 01-21-2008, 04:30 PM

I must just be better at getting information out of stuff than most but the list I got from beachbnny seems to make sense to me. Who knows maybe I am just special and don't expect perfection out of everything in a world thats far from perfect.
#29 Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Carotene. Provitamin A. Beta Carotene.

A pigment found in many animal tissues and in all plants. Used as a coloring in cosmetics and in the manufacture of vitamin A.

Wrong.

In the context of items found on product ingredient lists, this statement is just wrong. As a general statement, taken out of context, it is a true statement. But in the context of the article entitles "animal ingredients and their alternatives" which claims to be about the ingredient lists found on commercial products, this statement is just wrong.

Carotene is not a pigment that, when listed in the ingredient list of a product, could possibly come from animal sources. The carotene in all products on the market comes from vegetable sources. While carotene exists in animals, it is never extracted from animals for commercial purposes, to use as a product ingredient. The same goes for lactic acid. Lactic acid exists in all mammal muscle tissue, including human muscle tissue. It is possible, in a lab, to extract the lactic acid. But the lactic acid in products on store shelves never comes from animal sources, except the naturally occuring lactic acid that is present as a component of, for example, sour cream. However because it is a component of sour cream, and not an ingredient put into sour cream, it is never listed on the ingredient list. Same goes for the lactic acid in sauerkraut. It is there, but wouldn't be listed, because it forms as cabbage is left to stand and naturally ferment. Except of course, if the product contains both saurkraut and has lactic acid added in addition to the lactic acid naturally occuring in the sauerkraut. Then the label would list the lactic acid. Otherwise it would be there, but not listed.

Thus, when speaking about the ingredient lists on products, it is erroneous that carotene may have an animal source and a vegan alternative. It is just not so.

These distinctions, such as the distinction between a component of a product, and an ingredient, are important. To ignore them is foolish and to be proud of ignoring them is a willful display of ignorance.
#30 Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll say it again, if you have such a problem with the list contact PETA and get it resolved at the source or publish your own.

I have been publishing my own since 1998. while my list is not is longer, the items on it and claims I make about where they come from, have been checked more thoroughly for accuracy, each from several non-biased sources. While my list is shorter, it is infinitly more reliable. I have been repeatedly asking for expert help from chemists and other to help increase the size of the list, as I only have time to look into so many items. Often each item takes days or weeks to research. Just soap alone took me several weeks before I was satisfied that I had enough information for a reliable article and reliable set of claims about soap.

http://shakahara.com/mindex.html

Again, if you are a chemist or a journalist with an interest in chemistry, please help me expand the list. I will give you credit and you retain the copyright to any article you write.

Further, my articles have been reviewed by high school teachers and chemistry professors, who have recommended them as reliable sources of info for their students. Chemistry professors whose goal is to get their students the most accurate information that is in understandable form.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page