vegan chocolate chips/ghirardelli - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Beginner

i've been using ghiradelli semi-sweet choclate chips for a few months now, because my roommate swore they were vegan. i checked the ingredients (of course) and couldn't see anything non-vegan. then, another vegan friend of mine scared me into double checking with ghirardellis. i got this email in response to my question asking if there were any animal products in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and if they were vegan:

"Thank you for contacting Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response to your

inquiry, Ghirardelli does not consider any of our chocolate products to

be vegan. Our Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips do not contain a dairy

ingredient; however they do share a line with chocolate products which

do contain either whole milk powder or a milk fat. Our lines are

cleaned and flushed between the changing of one flavor to the next."

the ingredients on the package are: semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, unsweetened choclate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin- an emulsifier, vanilla). May contain trace amounts of milk.

so....i'm wondering if anyone else thinks that, although they don't admit they're vegan, these chocolate chips are vegan. i'd appreciate any input. i can't see any reason why they wouldn't be, and i'd like to keep using all the left over bags of chips that i have. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Other than the sugar.. I see no problems. Unless you don't want the stuff made on the same machines as something with dairy in it. It's up to you.
#3 Old 02-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Beginner

They're just missing the point/covering their asses. The ingredients don't contain anything derived from animals. Thus, imo- vegan. The potential for minute cross contamination which would affect only those with severe allergies is a totally separate issue. Veganism= boycotting animal products. The formula doesn't contain any. You're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbuzzcock View Post

i've been using ghiradelli semi-sweet choclate chips for a few months now, because my roommate swore they were vegan. i checked the ingredients (of course) and couldn't see anything non-vegan. then, another vegan friend of mine scared me into double checking with ghirardellis. i got this email in response to my question asking if there were any animal products in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and if they were vegan:

"Thank you for contacting Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response to your

inquiry, Ghirardelli does not consider any of our chocolate products to

be vegan. Our Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips do not contain a dairy

ingredient; however they do share a line with chocolate products which

do contain either whole milk powder or a milk fat. Our lines are

cleaned and flushed between the changing of one flavor to the next."

the ingredients on the package are: semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, unsweetened choclate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin- an emulsifier, vanilla). May contain trace amounts of milk.

so....i'm wondering if anyone else thinks that, although they don't admit they're vegan, these chocolate chips are vegan. i'd appreciate any input. i can't see any reason why they wouldn't be, and i'd like to keep using all the left over bags of chips that i have. thanks!

#4 Old 02-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Beginner

I'm with lilacwine... they're vegan.
#5 Old 02-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Beginner

thanks guys!!!
#6 Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I'd continue to use the ones that you have. However, if you want certainty, you can buy such things from online stores like Vegan Essentials (US) and VeganStore (UK)

They have sweet treats and bakery kinda items.

pirate x
#7 Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I imagine that they aren't willing to claim they are vegan because they don't want to deal with any liability issues/ lawsuits. Vegan = Diary-free, which they aren't for someone with severe allergies.

Even Wal-Mart has a store brand variety of chocolate chips that are vegan... if you aren't turned off by Wal-Mart, of course.
#8 Old 02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I use them and consider them vegan too.

I bet lots of vegan products are actually made using equipment that also processes non-vegan food sometimes. The equipment gets cleaned in between, so I still consider it vegan. In an ideal world it wouldn't be like this, of course.

They're the only choice I have at my local stores. If there was a better choice, I would use it, but until then it's the most vegan option I've got.
#9 Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post

I bet lots of vegan products are actually made using equipment that also processes non-vegan food sometimes.

yep, virtually all of them are.
#10 Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Beginner

I used to use ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips but noticed recently that they added "milkfat" to their list of ingredients on the package! It didn't say that before, but now it does!
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Beginner

The ones at my local store don't say that yet, but I guess that's just perhaps because they haven't gotten new stock yet.

DANG IT! If they get a new batch in and they have milkfat in them I am sending a hateful e-mail so fast it will make your head spin.
#12 Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Beginner

I dont see a problem with them. I mean, most soy milks, soy ice creams, etc. are all made on the same equiptment. They thouroughly wash all the machines between each batch, so I dont worry.
#13 Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Beginner

oh wow, good to know!

I bought those chocolate chips when I baked my first batch of Vegan ChocoChip Cookies! I figured I bought the right kind since all the others had obvious dairy-derived ingredients. Mine didn't say milkfat, so hooray! They WERE 100% Vegan Cookies
#14 Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Beginner

they sound vegan IMO. I consider myself vegan and eat lots of products that have to have that allergy warning but don't contain animal-derived ingredients.
#15 Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Beginner

I think they are vegan, no animals are harmed or used in making them. Sure there is some milk products in some of their other products but there are none in this one, so why not enjoy your vegan chocolate chips, I sure am. I know vegans who wouldn't eat them because they are processed in the same facility and that is their choice, but I live by the fact that as a vegan I am saving the lives of around 171 animals a year, and I am saving cows and calves from being tortured for milk products. I will never knowingly eat any non vegan products that contribute to hurting animals. Ghirardeli semi sweet chocolate chips do not, so I will enjoy eating them. Much love to you! smiley.gif
#16 Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Beginner

Ghirardeli has different types of chips--there's the semi sweet -which is what I think are vegan--and the bittersweet which I believe has milkfat or something.

Yeah, a lot of store brand semi sweet chips are also vegan, but some aren't very good. I get one that has a silouette of a women on the front that's good for cookies-not a store brand but definitely cheap.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page