Any vegan options at Chilis? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Beginner

My boyfriend and I recieved a gift card to Chilis restaurant and I've never been there. Do you know what entrees are vegan OR can be easily made vegan?

I'm really shy about asking the waiters if something has cheese in it or what not, so I thought I'd ask you guys first!

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Beginner

I haven't been to a chili's since I went vegan but I copied this from a site. "Chili's: The salsa and chips is obviously vegan. In addtion, you can order the veggie quesadillas without cheese or sour cream and the cadillac fajitas without meat."
#3 Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Beginner

All the salads can be made Vegan if you leave off the meat, the cheese and ask for a dairy-free dressing.

I'm pretty sure the Black Bean burger contains cheese, which is unfortunate because it is quite tasty.

The fajitas can be made Vegan. The chips and salsa are also Vegan.
#4 Old 01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Beginner

The steamed veggies usually come with a buttery sauce, so watch out for that. AFAIK, the fries are vegan.

~Wondre
#5 Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Beginner

actually, the rice with the fajitas is made with chicken broth.
#6 Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Beginner

I didn't know that, Penny79. I usually stay away from rice dishes when eating out, so I think I've always told them no rice. Thanks for the confirmation.
#7 Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure, but try not to be shy. Most servers are very nice about answering questions and accomodating different diets!
#8 Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Beginner

They have a "guiltless black bean burger". you could get it without the low-fat ranch and the parmesan cheese.

you could get the lettuce wraps, minus the chicken.

you could pretty much veganize any of their salads, i think.

asks about their "soups of the day" and see what's up with those.

tomato basil pasta, without the chicken and parmesan cheese.

they have the tostado chips with the salsa.

their website has a menu with some of the ingredients listed but you'd probably have to talk to someone in person to get detailed information.
#9 Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Beginner

I'm thinking the flour tortilla and pita are safe...not sure though...then you get them to grill you some mushrooms (or even a portobello) and onions in a little oil. Add some steamed veggies. I'd be good to go.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Beginner

They will also make any burger a portabella burger for you. Although I do not know if their buns are vegan. The portabella burgers are quite tasty though.
#11 Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

The portabella burger is not on the menu but all of the Chilis I have been to will sub it if you ask when ordering without a problem.
#12 Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

You're in luck! I e-mailed the company a few months ago and here's what they said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us an email and for your interest in Chili's. Our corporate dietitian has compiled the list below of Chili's vegan/vegetarian menu suggestions. Please be aware that none of our food items are certified vegetarian. Additionally, many of our recipes contain meat, fish, egg and dairy products and normal kitchen operations involve the sharing of cooking and preparation areas, including common fryer oil. Therefore, it is possible for any food item, including French Fries and/or Chips, to come into contact with animal products during preparation and/or

cooking processes.

Based on our supplier information, the vegan items you may consider are as follows:

? Corn Tortillas

? Salad without cheeses, meats, fried tortilla strips or croutons (choose dressings below

only)

? Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

? Low-fat Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

? Pico de Gallo

? Salsa Picante

? Rice

? Guacamole

? Black Beans

? Steamed Veggies Corn on the Cob, Broccoli, and/or Fresh Veggies (request no oil

or butter)

? Sliced Tomatoes, Onions and/or Bell Pepper (raw)

? Marinara Sauce

? Kiddie Wheat Bun

** Please note that our Black Bean burger is not vegan friendly and contains dairy ingredients (patty).

On your next visit to Chili's, please speak with a manager about your dietary restrictions to ensure that your meal is carefully prepared with your needs in mind. We hope that you are able to choose a meal to your liking and look forward to serving you soon. We will forward your suggestions to our Culinary department for their consideration and review.
#13 Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Wow, thanks for posting that. I just wanted to chime in real quick and this confirmed my thoughts. Most flour tortillas you buy at the stores and at restaurants (unless they're a mexican restaurant, but ask still) contain some kind of dairy. I don't know why since all a tortilla is, is flour, salt, baking powder and shortening. Healthy, no, but vegan, yes when you make them yourselves. Or just be very thorough when reading the ingredients.
#14 Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome!

I don't even go to real mexican restaurants... the only thing I can ever eat there are the tortilla chips (I'm a vegetarian). It's nasty how they put chicken stock in the rice (often) and lard in the beans. Yuck Yuck Yuck.

I think restaurants should have a seperate vegan/vegetarian menu. I get lost reading some menus...
#15 Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Beginner

I wondered about the black bean burger patty. Last time I went and asked the server and he said it did not contain dairy so I ordered it. I guess he didn't know, didn't bother to find out or both. Next time I'm forced to go there I'll just stick with steamed veggies and chips n salsa.
#16 Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Beginner

ive had the black bean burgers sub'd in for a few of the regular ones. it turned out really good. you could order without cheese. i think somone here mentioned that they had cheese in the black bean patties? ill be sure to ask next time were there.
#17 Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Beginner

There are NO vegan options at Chillis. I asked the chef in a Florida Chillis in Feb 2014 if there were any vegan options, and he said there is nothing he can make without butter besides a salad. Even though I specified I was a vegan, and allergic to dairy products while ordering the Vegetable Fajitas, they served it to me anyway, and when I asked what the food was cooked it they told me it was butter, and they do not cook anything with oil.

#18 Old 03-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc825 View Post

There are NO vegan options at Chillis. I asked the chef in a Florida Chillis in Feb 2014 if there were any vegan options, and he said there is nothing he can make without butter besides a salad. Even though I specified I was a vegan, and allergic to dairy products while ordering the Vegetable Fajitas, they served it to me anyway, and when I asked what the food was cooked it they told me it was butter, and they do not cook anything with oil.

I couldn't find anything vegan at Chili's a few years ago, I remember. It was a terrible place anyway.
#19 Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Oh lol this thread is from 2007. It might be interesting to compare their menus then to now.
#20 Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Beginner

I am horrified about the rice in chicken stock thing. I always assume rice is vegan. I stink.
#21 Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Beginner

Cadillac Fajitas (w/o meat), Bottomless Tostada Chips, Fries, Steamed Broccoli (no butter), Sauteed Mushrooms with Onions and Peppers (fried in vegetable oil) My local chillis cook their foods in vegetable oil only ....
#22 Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Beginner

I just went there today. I got the guacamole. It was amazing and filling
#23 Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Beginner

mmmm guacamole! I am glad that you found something you can enjoy! smiley.gif
#24 Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

The best thing to do with Chili's is stay away. My friend moved to Philadelphia for school, had dinner at Chili's, and got food poisoning. :sick:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#25 Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Oh , how sad sad.gif I hope your friend is feeling better and thank you Purp for the heads up smiley.gif
#26 Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

The best thing to do with Chili's is stay away. My friend moved to Philadelphia for school, had dinner at Chili's, and got food poisoning. :sick:

Several people I know got food poisoning from the Chili's near me also. And the Applebees.
#27 Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Several people I know got food poisoning from the Chili's near me also. And the Applebees.

We don't have Chili's here where I live so I don't really have to worry about that. Although Applebees has some great menu options I've heard from a few friends who have gotten sick there as well. (On non meat dishes) Something tells me they don't have very high standards for their chefs.

#28 Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNesbit View Post

We don't have Chili's here where I live so I don't really have to worry about that. Although Applebees has some great menu options I've heard from a few friends who have gotten sick there as well. (On non meat dishes) Something tells me they don't have very high standards for their chefs.

Something tells me that chefs is too kind a word to use.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page