Vegan substitutions - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM

Figured I'm not the only one who may be looking for some things, and figured we could just make a thread for substitutes!

General subsitutions: (baking, fake meats, just about everything) *NEW LINKS*

http://www.veganwolf.com/vegan_cooki...stitutions.htm

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookboo..._Substitutions

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/wellm...at-substitutes

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/628710.htm

list of things to avoid:

http://www.veganwolf.com/animal_ingredients.htm

2 basic vegan cakes:

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vegancakes.htm

General Vegan resources:

http://www.vegan.org/resources/links/index.html

FOR REPLACING EGGS, there are several options, depending on what they are needed for. You may want to experiment. Here are some possibilities (each quantity is equivalent to 1 egg):

Ener-G Egg Replacer (follow directions on box)

1 banana (for cake recipies)

2 Tbsp corn starch

2 Tbsp arrowroot flour

2 Tbsp potato starch

2 Tbsp soy milk powder & 2 Tbsp water

2 Tbsp mashed silken tofu

1/4 c applesauce (for muffins and quick breads, especially)

CHEESE, etc

* Tofutti cream cheese

* Tofutti sour cream

* Follow Your Heart cheeses: http://www.imearthkind.com/ (apparently melts, is good in mac & cheese, on pizza, or alone!!!)

FOR BAKING:

For some reason, I have a VERY hard time making eggless quick breads rise well in loaf form. For this reason, I tend to stick to making muffins! These are small enough to not have too much trouble, and are nice and portable for later. (so if you have trouble with bread, use the same recipe and just make muffins. Drop oven temp to 350* and they should take 25-30m.)

I usually grab for canola or veggie oil for baking with. Some recipes call for melted butter and if you want the CLOSEST to this, melt some Earth Balance and use that. Subbing oil does change texture a little, sometimes, but I have never really had a huge problem with this myself. Now, this is for the batter. For frosting you will definitely want shortening & Earth Balance blended, or just EB, as directed. Earth Balance has a vegan shortening that isn't terrible for you, and they also have a soy free version now as well. Good stuff. I find it at Whole Foods and my local Kroger brand grocery store. Have yet to see it at Walmart or Super Target, but that could be a local thing.

MILKS:

Soy~ Silk is my favorite brand to buy~ GREAT for cooking with

Rice~ Rice Dream is good~ GREAT for cooking with, especially in soups

Almond

Hazlenut

other misc nut milks

Coffee creamers~ Silk brand creamer is REALLY yummy. I like to mix the hazlenut and vanilla flavors together, lol. Coffee Mate has a soy creamer as well that tastes just like their regular one

Ice Cream:

Soy Delicious is my favorite! I can even find this in my regular grocery stores

Rice Dream is the best rice milk one I've found

I absolutely am IN LOVE WITH Turtle Mountain. Best cookies and cream ever. http://turtlemountain.com/products/p...avalanche.html (they have soy free on occasion, are often soy and coconut milk mixed... creamy texture like no other vegan ice creams I've had. VERY good.)

Mayonaise:

Some people have a huge preference here.. love one, hate the other, etc, so don't give up if you dislike your first choice

Veganaise~ heard this one is good if you like real mayo

Nayonaise~ heard this one is good if you like Miracle Whip

Spectrum*~ the one I found and liked. Just like mayo, and no trans fats! Made from canola oils, mostly.

Butter:

For baking, you can use:

oil of your choice

shortening

For spreading, look for:

Smart Balance (they have one with "omega" on the packaging that is vegan)

Earth Balance (stick, tub, soy-free version available, and they also offer shortening. Non-tras-fat, etc, good stuff)

or just look in the health food store in the butter area, and read labels. I found my margarine there, and it's no trans fats, as well as vegan.

Canoleo (the brand I like)

Cook books I love:

Vegan With a Vengeance http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Vengeanc...6782473&sr=8-1 Loads of low cost but amazing taste vegan foods. Mostly stuff you can get from your basic store, too, which really really helps those who cannot make it to a health food store all that often.

Veganomicon, same author (plus one) http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-Ul...ref=pd_sim_b_7 This is my favored one right now. NOTHING I have tried out of this (other than the mac & cheese, I guess) has turned out bad. And really, even the mac turned out well, I just am picky with my mac and always have been.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World ~ Same authors as Veganomicon, really great recipes from basic cupcakes to really fancy party types! Can be made into round cakes, etc, and everything I make from this gets rave reviews. And nobody can believe they're vegan. http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cupcakes...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Vegan Brunch ~ Again with the same authors. My thinking is, if they've done so well before you can trust them to deliver more! If you love brunch or breakfast for dinner, this is your kind of book. Pancakes & waffles of all types, crepes, blintzes, scrambles, muffins, all so tasty! http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Brunch-H...ref=pd_sim_b_4

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook ~ different author this time! LOADS of cheese type things. Macaroni, dip, blocks for shredding, spreads for making grilled cheese... it's all here. Very good if you want some cheese like variety! http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Unche...6782817&sr=1-1

The Joy of Vegan Baking is a nice book as well, though it doesn't get as much love here as some others. She uses egg replacement stuff more than I like, so I tend to grab for the ones that just don't use them I guess? I dunno, the things here have turned out pretty good, but again I have not tried LOTS of them. http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Vegan-Baki...ref=pd_sim_b_3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 PM

Oh, and I was meaning to ask... any suggestions for substituting evaporated milk? One of my traditional Christmas recipes calls for it, and I can't just NOT make it...

I know it is thicker than typical milk... would soy milk powder made up thick do the trick?
#3 Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Oh, and I was meaning to ask... any suggestions for substituting evaporated milk? One of my traditional Christmas recipes calls for it, and I can't just NOT make it...

I know it is thicker than typical milk... would soy milk powder made up thick do the trick?

I was thinking you could just cook soy milk until it became thicker. I looked and found a recipe for evaporated soy/rice milk. I'm having trouble with the link so here's the url: http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/925...k-Slow-Method/ There's also a recipe using the same idea you had: http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/923...-Quick-Method/

#4 Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM

I read that if you buy soy milk powder and make it at double or triple strength it becomes a sort of evaporated soymilk.
#5 Old 12-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Great thread idea!
#6 Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 AM

I have a recipe for Christmas cut-out cookies that I have to make because I've had them for Christmas every year since I can remember. I tried a batch, substituting apple sauce for eggs, and they turned out all right, but it changed the flavor a bit. I wasn't sure if Ener-G Egg Replacer would work, because I was told before that you should bake things right away when you use it, but the cookie dough has to be refrigerated and rolled out. Has anyone used egg replacer for this kind of recipe or do you have a suggestion for the best replacement that won't effect the flavor of the cookies?
#7 Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM

Obladi: Using JUST egg replacer has had very "cakey" and dry results for me with cookies.

Instead, I do this:

Use egg replacer in amount directed on the box, plus a teasp of flax meal - blend egg substitute powder and flax meal well with soy or almond or rice milk, instead of the water listed on the Egg sub. directions. Then use this mixture as "eggs".

(If that makes sense?)

I use the above "blend" and make refridgerated cookies all the time and it works fine. If you're making a pure white cookie (like plain sugar cookies) you will see little brown flecks from the flax meal. If this bothers you, you may need to experiment a bit with some other substitute.
#8 Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Obladi: Using JUST egg replacer has had very "cakey" and dry results for me with cookies.

Instead, I do this:

Use egg replacer in amount directed on the box, plus a teasp of flax meal - blend egg substitute powder and flax meal well with soy or almond or rice milk, instead of the water listed on the Egg sub. directions. Then use this mixture as "eggs".

(If that makes sense?)

That makes sense. Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know how they turn out. First I've gotta go buy some flax meal, which I've been meaning to do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I use the above "blend" and make refridgerated cookies all the time and it works fine. If you're making a pure white cookie (like plain sugar cookies) you will see little brown flecks from the flax meal. If this bothers you, you may need to experiment a bit with some other substitute.

Meh, I don't care what they look like, as long as they taste good.
#9 Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Great thread! I've had a lot of success using applesauce in cookies. They turn out amazing every time.

My mom was making some zucchini breads (kind of like banana bread) and did an experiment: she made one with the egg and one with applesauce for me since I was going to be visiting. Apparently the one with applesauce turned out MUCH better than the one with the egg! (She's now sold on it as a sub)
#10 Old 12-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Does anyone else find that when using applesauce instead of egg in quick breads/muffins (like zucchini bread, applesauce spice bread, banana bread, etc) that they take longer to cook??

I couldn't even get my pumpkin bread to cook in the middle after 1.5 hours. I gave up and tossed it since it didn't taste good at all, like that.

Ener-G egg replacer worked really well for my cornbread.... light and fluffy. And Applesauce did work well for my banana bread, but it does have the extra binder in there from the bananas...
#11 Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM

hmm. That makes a lot of sense^^. Ive had that happen to me quite a bit lately. Thanks for saying that, now I dont feel like a phycho.
#12 Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM

did you figure out how to do the evaporated milk? it was on here in the recipes section i think...just cook down soy milk (i used rice milk) 2 cups until it is down to 1 1/2 cups..don't boil just slow simmer. add a half cup sugar and cook down to 1 cup for condensed milk. that equals the 12oz can. I used this in my pumpkin pie this year and it was awesome! and i don't always use applesauce. i really like throwing bananas in my baked goods and just adding a little more baking powder/soda. i have yet to adjust the baking times on things. HTH
#13 Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks Sararie! That makes a lot of sense for the condensed milk. I will have to try that~ I probably won't make the monkey bread until Christmas morning, but I think I'll do that adding sugar and simmering down.

I did notice that the egg replacer (Ener-g) did not work well in some of the quick breads.. Applesauce worked ok for the banana bread~ Do you notice that adding banana makes it taste banana-ish? That's why I've avoided it for non-banana flavored things. I don't taste a difference with the applesauce as an egg sub.
#14 Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 AM

I break up the banana and microwave it for 30sec to break it down..i add a little water sometimes too. i guess i am making a banana sauce hehe. i can't really taste it in sweet goodies. there has only been one cookie recipe that my hubby said tasted like banana. for savory breads, i tend to just double the bak soda/pwdr. i honestly have never used ener-g. i'm afraid..
#15 Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Ener-g is basically potato starch, really. You mix it with a little water and then put it in with your wet ingredients. It has worked well with a few things, and not so much with others (but I did have trouble with my pumpkin bread while using eggs.. just need to find a vegan version of that, that is *meant* to be vegan) But the ener-g stuff worked well in my cookies the other day. REALLY good cookies, tasted just like I am used to.

And alas, no microwave. Counter hogging appliance, lol. I never used it... and I just reheat leftovers on the stove. (add water, medium heat, stir as needed)
#16 Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM

I use flaxseed meal for all my egg replacing needs. I use half a tablespoon of flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons of water for each egg. I microwave it for ~45 seconds or until a fork inserted comes out with littles stringynesses attached. If you're making something quick, like pancakes, you could grind up the flaxseed meal ever more in a coffee grinder so you don't get little hard flecks which can sometimes happen with flaxseed meal. But for cookies and such, I've never had a problem.

~Wondre
#17 Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM

I was going to try the flaxseed when making potato pancakes this year. I have potato starch...i wonder how I could use that instead of the ener-g...hmm.

Maybe just try smooshing the banana really good. I'll check for a veg*n version of pumpkin bread amongst my many recipes and can post if I find it.
#18 Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I smash the bananas up with my potato masher thing, so they're good and gooey. And I save them as they get darker, too, to use especially for baking. They mash up easier when over-ripe... but they do taste better when ripe & then mashed.

I have also heard adding your sugar to the banana while mashing it (or part of the sugar) will help it break down better, if nice and ripe.

But the list above says 2T potato starch is = to 1 egg. I'd think mixing it with 2T water would give a really egg-like result...
#19 Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM

This is slightly off-topic, but all of this banana talk reminded me of something. A lot of people aren't aware that you can store bananas in the freezer to use at a later date. Whenever I have any leftover bananas that get too ripe, I throw them into the freezer and then if I ever want to make banana bread, etc, I just have to take a few out to thaw and I have nice super ripe bananas

Well, I guess that is kind of on topic if you're using bananas to replace eggs
#20 Old 12-13-2006, 01:00 PM

I've done the frozen banana thing and find it to be really obnoxious to thaw without leaving gross stuff on the counter or sink... Maybe I'm just being picky
#21 Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

you can use the frozen bananas for smoothies instead of adding ice. Or stick it in a bowl to thaw.
#22 Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Whenever I have any leftover bananas that get too ripe, I throw them into the freezer to use at a later date.

I have at least 30 bananas in my freezer at the moment and I keep saying I'm going to make banana bread, but I never get around to doing it. But anyways, my mother stored bananas in the freezer when I was growing up. She just stuck them wherever they'd fit, so half the time you open the freezer a banana would fall out and smack one of your toes.

~Wondre
#23 Old 01-11-2007, 06:28 PM

(any way we can sticky this for the future?) Bumping since I needed it for something...
#24 Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 PM

I had a banana smoothie today. It tasted like ice cream. With banana and coffee. lol. Recipe for anyone that wants it:

Banana Coffee Soft Serve Smoothie

1 frozen banana

2 tbsp. soy milk

3 tbsp + strong coffee

sugar to taste

Throw everything in a food processor and blend. Pour into a pretty dish and enjoy your soft serve "Ice cream".
#25 Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks for he infos
#26 Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 AM

My advice is get some good Vegan cookbooks, and start out with a recipe that is already Vegan. My new favorite is Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Who needs eggs? These are scrumptious and decadent.
#27 Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspjs View Post

My advice is get some good Vegan cookbooks, and start out with a recipe that is already Vegan. My new favorite is Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Who needs eggs? These are scrumptious and decadent.

I'm trying to stay away from the temptation to make the gingerbread cupcakes with lemon buttercream icing - they are just so good!
#28 Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Wow great thread guys, thanks for the tips
#29 Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM

I just used this in a recipe I "veganized" and it worked GREAT so I thought I'd pass the recipe along - I found it somewhere on the web, can't remember where:

Dry soymilk powder equivalent to what you'd need to make 3 cups liquid milk. (or about 3/4 C dry, I used Better Then Milk brand powder)

3/4 C water

Heat until boiling point. (Microwave works fine for this)

In a pan on the stovetop Melt 6 T vegan margarine on medium.

Add 1 1/2 C sugar

When the sugar begins to melt, add hot milk and a dash salt. The second time I made this I also added just a drop of vanlla extract

Boil gently and stir 5 min.

Cool and use wherever sweetened condensed milk is called for.
#30 Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 AM

And another favorite of ours, vegan "Cream of Mushroom" soup.

Since I used to use Cream of Mushroom soup a lot in casseroles and such, I thought I'd post the substitute recipe here in this thread:

Mushroom Soup

1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced mushrooms (a mixture of varieties is nice)

1/4 cup margarine

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 lb roasted (not salted!) cashews, coarsely chopped

5 hot cups water

2 Tb. "beef" style vegetarian bullion powder, dissolved

1/4 cup minced parsley

1 pinch chili powder

nutmeg (optional)

In a 4 quart pot, saute the mushrooms in margerine till tender.

Add garlic.

Saute on low heat 5 minutes.

In a blender, puree the cashews with the water until very smooth. Do this in batches so the hot water doesn't explode out the top of the blender (I say with experience)

Add to the mushrooms.

Add the boullion and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until the soup begins to thicken.

Add parsely and nutmeg.

Serve.

Tags
Daiya-Cheddar-Style-Shreds , Tofurky-Organic-Five-Grain-Tempeh , Earth-Balance-Vegan-Buttery-Sticks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page