Is bread vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Beginner

Is bread considered vegan? Is this a stupid question? I iwas just thinking about that, isn;t bread made with milk and eggs?
theheadandtheheart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Beginner

It's not a stupid question.

Most bread is vegan, some bread is not. Homemade bread usually involves an egg, so ask questions. Store bought bread, especially bread that's made in the bakery itself, is usually vegan. Get into the habit of looking at the ingredients lists before buying. Don't get anything that contains whey, eggs, milk, or honey (unless you're a honey-eating vegan, of course)
#3 Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Beginner

tiggybrown, also watch out for mono-/diglycerides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetarian Resource Group View Post

What are Mono- and diglycerides?

Monoglycerides and diglycerides are common food additives used to blend together certain ingredients, such as oil and water, which would not otherwise blend well. The commercial source may be either animal (cow- or hog-derived) or vegetable, and they may be synthetically made as well. They are often found in bakery products, beverages, ice cream, chewing gum, shortening, whipped toppings, margarine, and confections. Our Guide classifies them as "May be non-vegetarian." Archer Daniels Midland Co., a large manufacturer of monoglycerides, reports that they use soybean oil.

As stated above, these may be derived from non-vegan sources. They are commonly found in bread. And no, it wasn't a dumb question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

(unless you're a honey-eating vegan, of course)

#4 Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Beginner

It depends on the bread. French bread is usually vegan. Normal white bread sometimes contains milk and butter (it did the way I used to make it anyway.) If the bread is yellowish, it might contain eggs. Whole wheat bread sometimes contains honey. You just need to read the ingredients. Annoyingly, most commercial breads also contain high fructose corn syrup which you may or may not care about. It's vegan but terribly, terribly bad for you. Nowadays, I usually get my bread at the health food store which has WAY more variety than the regular supermarket. I've been getting the ezekiel sprouted grain bread which is vegan, 100% whole grain, has no HFCS and you don't need a chemistry degree to read the ingredients.
#5 Old 09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Only people that don't know how to cook use milk and eggs in bread.

pasta too.
#6 Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Beginner

flour + water = dough

dough + heat = bread

Everything else is for flavour/texture alterations.
#7 Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Beginner

You usually need some kind of sugar to feed the yeast and get it to rise (unless you're making a sourdough in which case the yeast comes from the air). Which explains the honey and high fructose corn syrup.

The mono- and diglycerides are totally unneccessary. At no point have I ever been baking and said, "you know, some mono- and diglycerides would be really good in this."
#8 Old 09-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Sara Lee Breads (as well as some "store" brands) use lard in them -- which around me accounts for like 95% of the store breads (bakery ones included)

So in those cases, it's not even vegetarian with any prefix added.
#9 Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Sara Lee Breads (as well as some "store" brands) use lard in them -- which around me accounts for like 95% of the store breads (bakery ones included)

Lard?
#10 Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Beginner

also a lot of bread contains sodium steyrol lactate (sp?) or something like that which can be animal derived as well.
#11 Old 09-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for the helpful info. I havenot bought bread at a regular supermarket in such a longtime, I usually get it at the health food store.
#12 Old 09-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!
#13 Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elena99

(unless you're a honey-eating vegan, of course)

!
#14 Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

also a lot of bread contains sodium steyrol lactate (sp?) or something like that which can be animal derived as well.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium stearoyl lactate (and the similar calcium stearoyl lactate) is made by combining lactic acid and stearic acid, and then reacting the result with sodium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide to make the sodium or calcium salt. It is used as an emulsifier in processed foods.

Replacing the lactic acid with fumaric acid gives sodium steroyl fumarate, a compound with same uses as the other two.

On The Shelf

These products are derived from animal body parts that are boiled. The stearic acid is then extracted from the layers of other by-products. Stearoyl-2-lactylates are found in the majority of manufactured breads, buns, wraps and tortillas, and many similar bread-based products.
#15 Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Beginner

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

Lactic acid is used in a variety of food stuffs to act as an acidity regulator. Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived from bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or L. bulgaricuswhey to ferment carbohydrates from sources such as the cornstarch, potatoes or molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", products claiming to be vegan do sometimes feature lactic acid as an ingredient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

Stearic acid (IUPAC systematic name: octadecanoic acid) is one of the useful types of saturated fatty acids that comes from many animal and vegetable fats and oils.

Stearic acid is prepared by treating animal fat with water at a high pressure and temperature, leading to the hydrolysis of triglycerides. It can also be obtained from the hydrogenation of some unsaturated vegetable oils.

Assuming the people who entered this info in Wikipedia are correct, Vegan Joe, sodium stearoyl lactate isn't always comprised of ingredients that were derived from animals.
#16 Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

!

I'm trying to play nicely.
#17 Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I don't know where you shop - but the Sarah Lee bread around here doesn't use lard - (unless it's lard being disguised under the term "vegetable oil" which would be highly illegal and quite unlikely)

... All the Sarah Lee brands in my supermarket use vegetable oil or vegetable shortnening - as do all the "generic" store brands... some have whey or honey or other trace ingredients listed above, but no lard.

In fact, now that I think about it, I have NEVER heard of lard being used in bread...

Where do you shop? Or where do you get your information?
#18 Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I don't know where you shop - but the Sarah Lee bread around here doesn't use lard - (unless it's lard being disguised under the term "vegetable oil" which would be highly illegal and quite unlikely)

... All the Sarah Lee brands in my supermarket use vegetable oil or vegetable shortnening - as do all the "generic" store brands... some have whey or honey or other trace ingredients listed above, but no lard.

In fact, now that I think about it, I have NEVER heard of lard being used in bread...

Where do you shop? Or where do you get your information?

All of my breads seem to contain lard.

Probably has to do with the fact that I rub handfuls of lard on the bread before I eat it though.

I'm a lard-eating vegan.....
#19 Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Beginner

Oh man! I missed the "Lard is now a vegan product" memo....
#20 Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm a lard-eating vegan.....

Man that's really FATT
#21 Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:

!

I just didn't want to step on any toes. We do have a fair number of honey-eating vegans around here, as odd as I know that sounds.
#22 Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Beginner

I haven't found any edible bread that doesn't contain honey. I really didn't like the "flourless" sprouted wheat breads, so I rarely eat it (I eat tortillas instead).
#23 Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Beginner

I found a bread that was 100% whole wheat, contained no honey or milk and was organic. The bread was good too. My dad attempted to buy me the same bread and got the wrong one. I told him it wasn't the right bread, he looked and it and said "there is no milk in it" and I said that wasn't it. He looked at the ingredient list again and realized there was honey in it. Was nice of him to try though. Why do companies think they need to add honey to bread? I don't think it makes it taste any better.
#24 Old 09-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Beginner

Stonemill breads are organic. and although I haven't checked out the rest the multigrain rye is vegan (and darn good too). I don't know if they sell it in the US though.
#25 Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista82 View Post

. Why do companies think they need to add honey to bread? I don't think it makes it taste any better.

I think they add it as a preservative.
#26 Old 09-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Only people that don't know how to cook use milk and eggs in bread.

pasta too.

I have never in my life heard of EGGS in bread. Never ever ever. They call that bread????

Pasta with eggs I do know about. It's also very weird. Why would anyone want to put EGGS in pasta?

Talk about ruining good food.

(Someone in this thread also mentioned HONEY in bread. That sounds more like cake to me than bread. Never heard of this either.)

*Going off to make some nice home-made bread with WATER and WHOLE-WHEAT FLOUR*
#27 Old 09-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I just didn't want to step on any toes. We do have a fair number of honey-eating vegans around here, as odd as I know that sounds.

There's no such thing as a vegan who eats honey. Those who do eat honey and call themselves vegans are living in cloud cuckoo land. Hopefully they will wake up from their dream one day. If not, perhaps in another life-time. Maybe they will be born again as a honey bee and will then realise the folly of their past life.
#28 Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

There's no such thing as a vegan who eats honey. Those who do eat honey and call themselves vegetarians are living in cloud cuckoo land. Hopefully they will wake up from their dream one day. If not, perhaps in another life-time. Maybe they will be born again as a honey bee and will then realise the folly of their past life.

Diana, you crack me up with some of the things you say!

I am going to try some of those sprouted grain breads from the health food store. I am waiting to get paid (TOMORROW...YEAH!) but I need to start eating healthier. I have noticed that white flours have taken over my life. This mostly happened when I started suffering from IBS and wheat was killing my stomach. I think I have taken it to extemes though. I need to be a healthier vegan.
#29 Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Beginner

hey now, play nice - we have some chicken eating vegetarians around here too.
#30 Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I have never in my life heard of EGGS in bread. Never ever ever. They call that bread????

Challah bread has eggs in it.

I always like to pronounce it, Hollaaaaaa!

Cuz that's how I roll.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page