VeggieBoards banner

What to do with non-vegan clothes/products?

650 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AspiringBuddha 
#1 ·
My husband and I have eaten vegan for about 3 months now.

We transitioned by finishing off or trashing the non-vegan food we had, replacing with vegan brands when we needed more stuff, and slowly trying more things over time, figuring out what brands and dishes we like, etc. We returned and exchanged a lot of stuff too.

I used to coupon, so I have a whole sh*tload of makeup I’m still going to use until I need more. Hair products, etc., all of that. The consumables are covered.

But what do I do with a fur coat my granddad gave me??? Or the leather jacket my mom gave me? The fur doesn’t hold any particular sentimental value, I’ve only worn it once (cuz really, who has occasions to wear fur to anymore anyway?), it’s warm and nice but has to be stored, blah blah blah.

The leather coat I have had since high school and I love it, and seeing as my mom and I don’t communicate anymore, it really holds a place in my heart.

Do I donate so others who have NO coats have something to wear? Which also maybe would perpetuate the use of animal products?
Do I trash them so I’m not propagating animal products when I’m out and about?
Do I burn them in effigy and honor the animals that died to create these things for us humans?
Do I keep them and honor the animals by wearing them so their deaths weren’t “a waste” or in vain, etc.? Which somehow feels hypocritical and pragmatic simultaneously.

Questions I never thought I’d have. Sheesh.

Thoughts? Experiences?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks

Would it matter what kind of fur then? I think it's fox but I don't really know. That's a great idea too, thank you so much!

#4 ·
I donated most of my leather purses when I went vegetarian, but I kept one that had a special meaning for me for a while. Finally though, I have reached the point where every time I look at it I see animal suffering, so that one is going away too.

I think this is a very individual choice, and it's all about what you feel comfortable with. You could certainly hold on to the coat, and I don't think anyone would think less of you for keeping it. Or you could give it to a good charity. I don't think there's anything wrong with showing compassion for human animals, even while striving to do no new harm to the non-human ones.

Congratulations on going vegan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.