VeggieBoards banner

Vegan comfort food

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Purp 
#1 ·
I'm having a bad week, with that dude shooting up the Las Vegas concert (@ElaineV--Please let me know you are all right), Tom Petty dying on Monday, Walking to the library on Thursday only to see a cat get hit by a car and killed, and going to an old friend's memorial service, I could use some vegan comfort food, please. :crying::cry:

#3 ·
I've been having stress myself and just want to go get some top ramen oriental!

I did make a pot of miso mushroom noodle soup with celery carrots and onion. I had the big fresh udon noodles from the Asian grocery that I chopped into inch long pieces. Now that I'm thinking about it, dumplings would be perfect in that kind of broth! Whole wheat flour, a pinch of baking powder, some poultry style seasoning (wish it was called something else...) and enough water to make a dough. Drop by teaspoon into hot broth, or make a stiff dough and slice into ribbons

Gardien almost anything!

Take out french fries, onion rings or a fried veggie basket

I'm thinking about a bottle of raspberry Jose Cuervo Margaritas tonight and a funny movie

#5 · (Edited)
French fries (chips) and ketchup? That's what I'll be eating this afternoon.

It has been a terrible couple of monts, and a bad year.

I do wish that @Naturebound (the same Elaine?) would drop in and say hi.

Reactions: Purp and Mr. H.
#7 ·
I've taught myself to make "flat breads" with leftover juice pulp, but you can also use the whole veggie/fruit to make them, as I learned one day I was craving them but had not juiced anything.

I crafted one that tastes like the dressing balls my mom used to make for thanksgiving, which I also use to make finger sandwiches using tomatoes, chickpea salad, lettuce, spicy mustard, etc....and one that's sweet and can be used as pancakes, or as a sweet sandwich treat with some nut butter and bananas or jelly.

For the dressing version, I use celery, romaine, veggie broth, sage, rosemary, thyme, red onion, garlic, and chickpea flour, with a small amount of baking powder. I don't really measure things out exactly, I go by intuition, taste, and consistency.

For the sweet version, I use apples, ginger, apple juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, chickpea flour, and a small amount of baking powder.

I put parchment paper on a baking sheet and dump the mixture out and smooth it out evenly, then bake at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes, checking consistency as it goes. Once it's done to my satisfaction, I cut it with a pizza cutter into small-ish squares, and if it's still too moist inside, I put it back in the oven, with the oven now turned off, to let it bake a bit more while the oven cools down...usually 10 or 15 more minutes, max.

Reactions: Purp and Mr. H.
#11 ·
Food is OK, but it can't really "comfort" you.

Life kinda blows, or it doesn't, depending on your outlook.

Food won't solve your problem. A different mental attitude might.

There's the old parable about the guy that hated fire..cuz it burned down his house. Another guy loved fire, cuz when he was homeless, it kept him warm.

Same thing, different outcome.

Reactions: Purp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.