Where can I go to learn simple but tasty raw vegan meals? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 09-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Where can I go to learn simple but tasty raw vegan meals?

I want to be a raw vegan for health and spiritual reasons, but I don't know how to make vegan meals that actually taste good. I don't like learning this stuff from books or youtube videos. I want to go somewhere where I can get some hands on experience.

I thought about going to the Hippocrates Health Institute, but I seriously doubt they teach you how to make meals that actually taste good. I figure they probably focus on the basics like how to make nut milk, grow your own sprouts and wheatgrass. They probably don't focus on how to prepare meals that taste good.

I also hate recipes that have a lot of ingredients or ingredients that are hard to find.

Does anybody know where I can go to learn simple but tasty raw vegan meals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

You said you don't know how to make "vegan meals that taste good" but also want to go raw vegan. I presume this means you are going from a carnist (vegetarian or omnivore) stance to a raw vegan one?

If so, then I suggest you look in to cooked vegan foods first. Tofu stirfry, cooked oats, etc. You are making a very big jump, and I worry you will simply fail if you try to jump to raw vegan. On top of that, finding enough calories in a raw vegan diet is challenging compared to a vegan diet with cooking involved. So I suggest that you transition to a cooked-based vegan diet first, get that hammered out, and then look in to adding more raw options. If you look in to it, you could do a raw vegan diet, but it simply is not easy, and the amount of food you will have to eat may make it hard depending on your personal life (work schedule, kids, etc).

To simplify what I said: Start with a cooked vegan diet, then include more uncooked meals as you deem fit that still satisfy your nutritional needs.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#3 Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuurt View Post
I want to be a raw vegan for health and spiritual reasons, but I don't know how to make vegan meals that actually taste good. I don't like learning this stuff from books or youtube videos. I want to go somewhere where I can get some hands on experience.

I thought about going to the Hippocrates Health Institute, but I seriously doubt they teach you how to make meals that actually taste good. I figure they probably focus on the basics like how to make nut milk, grow your own sprouts and wheatgrass. They probably don't focus on how to prepare meals that taste good.

I also hate recipes that have a lot of ingredients or ingredients that are hard to find.

Does anybody know where I can go to learn simple but tasty raw vegan meals?

Hi kuurt,

Properly-planned raw vegan diets are healthy. However, mixed cooked/raw vegan diets are also healthy. It's not necessary to eliminate healthy cooked foods from your diet.

A reputable book about raw vegan nutrition (with plenty of recipes) is Becoming Raw, by long-time vegan Registered Dietitians Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis: https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Raw-...s=becoming+raw . Vesanto Melina is the principal author of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians) position paper on vegetarian diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27886704 . Brenda Davis is a past chair of the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association. This book is well-researched - it references more than 100 peer-reviewed studies. It also examines the benefits, potential pitfalls, and myths of raw vegan nutrition. I strongly recommend this book over those written by certain other very popular (but not terribly well-educated) raw vegan advocates.

I attended a lecture by Brian Clement, director of the Hippocrates Health Institute. He is a fascinating speaker, but I would be cautious about some of his claims. He's gotten himself into serious trouble:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/fl...taff-1.2867597

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nder-fire.html

kuurt, are you addressing a personal health issue at this time?

Tom likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.

#4 Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think SapphireLightning and David3 have good ideas. I really don't know anything about the raw-food approach, although of course I don't cook everything I eat... but I'm expecting that not cooking any or at least most of your food would complicate matters, especially since you want your meals to be tasty as well.

I do love all fruit and most vegetables raw, but my diet is quite legume-and-grain-heavy. I wouldn't even try to eat legumes raw on a regular basis; I've tried them right after soaking and before cooking, and they don't taste good. I've even heard that kidney beans can make you sick if you eat them uncooked. My breakfast is almost always a sort of oat muesli: quick-cooking oats eaten uncooked, with fruit, moistened with water- but someone here (Penny79, I think) informed me that quick-cooking oats aren't raw to begin with, even if you don't cook them. I've made muesli with regular oats, and I think they qualify as "raw", but they're... chewy... and I can definitely see how Sapphire's warning about it being hard to eat enough on a raw diet could apply there. I haven't investigated sprouting grains and legumes. Raw nuts and seeds are good, yes- but they're quite expensive, and also generally high in fat.

Anyway, that's how I'm seeing it for now: the fruit and vegetables wouldn't be a problem raw, since they're generally tasty and nutritious that way, but getting enough calories and protein would take considerable effort (although I'm not saying it's impossible).

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Emma JC

Personally I love learning from YouTube as it is there for me everyday, I can watch any of them again, I start to feel like many of the YouTubers are my friends.

There are so many amazing people doing incredible videos with recipes and meal swaps and they are generous with their sharing of the actual ingredients too. I would recommend finding a few good YouTubers that you can relate to and who share the way you wish to eat. The other reason I like YouTube is that by watching one or two videos everyday it helps to reinforce why we are eating and living this way and is encouraging and motivating and reminds me to just 'keep it simple'.

Good luck, Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#6 Old 09-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Ultimately I think raw food is better because cooking destroys 100% of the enzymes in the food plus some of the other nutrients. I could learn some cooked vegan recipes first, but then I will have to learn twice as many recipes. I don't know how to make things like legumes taste good. Or grains. I personally question whether or not humans should even be eating grains.

I have seen some recipes on youtube but they almost always require a ridiculous amount of ingredients - like 8+ ingredients in a smoothie. I also can't believe how much food some of these people eat. I don't want to eat that much food nor pay for that much food. Maybe I just haven't found the right videos, I don't know.

I figure eventually I could grow my own leafy greens indoors all year around, along with sprouts. And I can add wild edible leafy greens to my diet. That might make the diet more affordable.

Quote:
kuurt, are you addressing a personal health issue at this time?
I have tissue damage to my lungs from chemical pneumonia. I get indigestion a lot probably because I'm eating cooked food which lacks enzymes. I have blood sugar issues sometimes.
#7 Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

You don't get indigestion from eating cooked foods. Lacking enzymes, however, can be a separate issue, but raw is not the solution.

No, never eat raw beans-soaked or not.

Whole grains are very healthy, there are few people who need to avoid them for medical conditions
David3 and Emma JC like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Why wouldn't you get indigestion from cooked foods if cooking destroys 100% of the enzymes? Enzymes are needed for digestion.
#9 Old 09-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuurt View Post
Why wouldn't you get indigestion from cooked foods if cooking destroys 100% of the enzymes? Enzymes are needed for digestion.
Hi kuurt,

The pancreas produces a variety of digestive enzymes: proteases, lipase, amylase, ribonuclease, deoxyribonuclease, gelatinase and elastase. Please see this webpage, from the Colorado State University physiology department: http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks.../exocrine.html .

The human body produces all the enzymes necessary for digestion; externally-sourced enzymes are not needed. If you are not convinced, please consider that traditional Chinese cuisine includes almost no raw vegetables - everything is cooked: http://www.ibiblio.org/chinesecultur...od-c01s01.html. Despite this, all those past generations of Chinese managed to live normal, healthy lives.

Tom and Emma JC like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-17-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page