switching up - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ferncat
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 08-30-2017, 06:15 PM

switching up

So I recently have become vegan and to be quite honest, it is very difficult. I knew it wouldn't be easy and would take a lot of educating myself and time. However, I have found myself eating only one meal a day at this point and sometimes the vegan meals I make are completely unsatisfactory to me, they just don't taste right and I think it is the recipes I am choosing to pursue. I've decided to slow things down a bit and transition to becoming vegetarian. I dived straight into being vegan because I am very passionate about animals and hate myself for ever being a apart of the problem. I didn't transition from vegetarian to vegan and I know you don't have to do it that way, but with my past it's important I eat more than I have been.

Basically, I'm making this post to just get some peace that I'm not awful for this. I know the production of animal products such as dairy and eggs is no better than the treatment of animals for meat, so I don't know if I'm not actually doing any good by staying away from meat but not food derived from animal labor. I still plan on working towards veganism, it's just been difficult for me to find meals I like and I end up becoming very depressed and stressed for I feel like I'm a failure at this. I am still going to incorporate vegan meals into my diet so that I can make not of the meals that I do enjoy and keep a list so that when I go vegan again I know I have options.

This is ok, right ? I just need some other opinions or else I'm going to just beat myself up. This isn't what I want to do, but I also need to care for my body. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2017, 09:51 AM

Stop feeling like a failure. You are not a failure. You are changing a huge part of your life.

It seems to me that when some people go vegan or vegetarian, they can look at it as an all or nothing sort of thing and can be so harsh on themselves for "messing up". I think that especially when people are making a huge change like this, it can help to go more gradually. Big changes take time to adjust. Especially diet changes. You are used to eating a certain way and then all of a sudden you eat a different way. Your body and tastebuds are accustomed to eating things and then overnight, you decide not to eat that way. You are throwing away how you ate growing up, things that you like to eat and changing to things that are less comfortable and familiar. This is a huge lifestyle change. You will have to learn new tastes and learn new ways of cooking and eating. Let yourself have this learning process and go as slow as you need to. You will discover amazing foods that you never even though about eating and you might miss things you previously ate.

It does become easier as you gain knowledge about what you like to eat and how to cook it. You will get better at figuring out what recipes work for you and how to tweak them to your liking. Be gentle with yourself and don't be too judgey about being perfect. You do this the way you need to and don't make excuses or feel bad. Whatever you do will be better than what you were doing before you started. You will get this.
#3 Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Vegan since 1991

I agree with Ferncat. It can be easier, and better in the long run, to do things more gradually.

Rather than becoming vegan overnight, it can be easier if you first find 5 or 6 meatless meals that you really enjoy. This might take several weeks, or longer, and that's OK. Once these 5 or 6 veg meals become an enjoyable part of your life, it will be much easier to let go of your old meat dishes.

This website has good information about transitioning to a vegan diet: http://www.chooseveg.com

Mr. H. likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-01-2017 at 11:20 AM.

#4 Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 AM

My journey into veganism was a long and meandering trail. But looking back i think the best way is the as much as possible as soon as possible technique.
Some foods are addictive. and the sooner you get over them the better. It usually takes just a week to get over them. There is also the mental addiction part which takes longer. Most psychologists agree that it takes just 3 weeks to get over a bad habit or to create a new good one. And I don't think its a coincidence that most vegan transition plans are built around the 3 - 4 week model.
So i think your very best bet is to adopt a "go vegan" plan. My favorite is the "30-Day Vegan Challenge". It normally costs $10. but if you scroll down to the bottom of the Cowspiracy page they have a link to do it for free.
But what you might like even better is the PCRM kickstart. Its very structured and includes meal plans, recipes and grocery shopping lists for 3 weeks. The idea is that after 3 weeks your "good habits" are formed and you are ready to be vegan on your own. AND there is an app for it. And if you start it at the first of the month you can share notes with others who have started - so its cool - is has a social media component.
Either one takes out a lot of the guess work and false starts you can encounter on your own.
Good luck
#5 Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't feel bad about doing things gradually. I also went through a period of eating 90% less meat, and then no meat and no fish and then no eggs but still I ate cheese. It was all a bit confusing but I got there in the end and now I don't miss any of that.

Here are some things I make and eat. As you can see, I keep it very simple. With more time you can do better.

Breakfast
Mushroom + tomato + toast/bread
Fruit
Cereal

Lunch/Dinner
Pasta + veg + peppers
Rice + veg
Soy/lentil Burger + chips
Black bean burrito/tacos (I like sweetcorn in mind, or rice, or lettuce, avocado, tomata etc) + salad
Jacket potato + whatever you like
Vegetable lasagna
Sandwiches: vegan cheese with either tomato, onion or lettuce

Did you see this thread on the forum with ideas?
What did you eat vegan today? (Version 2.0)

Google recipes, buy a recipe book.

You can also just buy the vegan versions of the things you already like. Hamburgers, sausages etc.
#6 Old 09-04-2017, 04:20 AM

I became vegan overnight cold turkey and never looked back.

People are different, we all have different ways of dealing with things.

Some people need gradual adjusting and that is perfectly normal.

One of the things I noticed is that becoming vegan can seem overwhelming at first. What I find helped me is to keep it simple. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when you look at vegan website recipes and Youtubers making all these fancy looking foods, but you do not have to be all flash like that if you do not want to.

Keeping it basic and simple is the way I have been able to stay vegan. Cook some rice and mix it with beans and veggies. Get some tortilla and fill it with hummus and veggies and beans. Eat veggie burgers using substitute meats they sell at the store. Oatmeal with fruit. So on and so forth. And use various spices to keep your taste buds guessing.

Tags
opinions , stress , support , Vegan , vegitarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page