• 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning

#1 Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Making the Film 'Okja' Turned Director Bong Joon Ho into a Vegan

Quote:
The new Netflix movie is a searing look at the mass production of meat.

At first glance Korean director Bong Joon Ho's latest feature for Netflix is a love story between a young girl and her beloved pet. But just as Ho's last big North American film, Snowpiercer was about capitalism's dire effects on our physical environment and climate change's resulting class war, Okja is a searing look at the environmental and cultural impact of our mass production and consumption of meat.
Read the rest here: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/v...=vicetwitterus

Has anyone seen this on Netflix yet?
Emma JC likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Emma JC

I just heard about this film on Jimmy Fallon's show last night and so we will be watching it this weekend and I will report back when I do. That is so cool that the director would become vegan.

I was also just watching a YouTube video by 'that vegan couple' about a 7 year old girl that no longer wants to eat meat and it led me to a whole bunch of other videos of children being upset about having to eat meat. Children are so empathetic and caring and may help to lead the way to a kinder, gentler, healthier world.

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

It made me cry.
Mr. H. likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Emma JC

We did watch it this past weekend and I am not sure how I feel about it.

It was very sad and yet a bit hopeful.

I had recommended it to family, before watching it, and then had to contact them and suggest they not watch it due to the language. I don't have a problem with it, they are more sensitive and I knew that the language would turn them off.

There was a bit of a paradox in that it is wrong to eat the pet pig and yet not wrong to eat the fish or the chicken - so the message was really about "corporate food farming" rather than veganism itself. Corporate food farming is definitely an issue worth making a film about and so in that sense it was successful.

I would watch "what the health" again, not sure I would want to watch this again.

Emma JC
Werewolf Girl likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)

Find a

#5 Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Not that I am one of them, but there are reasonable people who believe the eggs from backyard chickens are "OK" ethically.

I loved that they rescued the baby super pig. but what was he doing there with his mama and papa. I don't think factory farmed pig children are kept in a different place than the animals being sent to slaughter.

Also I haven't seen anyone else ask this: is Okja pregnant at the end of the film?
#6 Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The film is a cut above, irrerevent, original and as well as benefiting from some gorgeous scenery at the start. Probably not quite a truly great movie - but then few are. It's very pro vegan in a broad sense, although yes it is more clearly against factory farming really. It is less clear cut in the movie whether it is pro militant animal activism or not, you can judge for yourself but that could be read either way to me.
Mr. H. likes this.
#7 Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
Not that I am one of them, but there are reasonable people who believe the eggs from backyard chickens are "OK" ethically.
I wonder if those people ever wonder where all the roosters are? I have never ever seen a backyard chicken coop where the rooster to hen ratio was anywhere near 1 to 1.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#8 Old 09-27-2017, 08:50 AM

I am no expert on chickens. but I am pretty sure that you don't want a 1:1 ratio. That would be way too many roosters. Also I don't thing roosters get along with other roosters. My best guess is that you want just one rooster per coop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLightning View Post
I wonder if those people ever wonder where all the roosters are? I have never ever seen a backyard chicken coop where the rooster to hen ratio was anywhere near 1 to 1.
#9 Old 09-27-2017, 08:56 AM

Yes, I think the writer director purposely left that to be unclear or open-ended.

I did feel that they painted the ALF members sympathetically. Heck they even made them out to be heroic. I bet if someone analyzed we would find they as a group displayed many of the classical virtues.

But in the end they didn't succeed in their mission. and they were also sometimes comical.

Maybe the movie isn't pro-vegan. or pro animal rights, but just anti big greedy immoral corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
It is less clear cut in the movie whether it is pro militant animal activism or not, you can judge for yourself but that could be read either way to me.
#10 Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Godwin's law asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1."

I am making a new version of this law. I'll call it Fox's law.

"As an online discussion abot veganism grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning backyard chickens approaches 1."
#11 Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
I am no expert on chickens. but I am pretty sure that you don't want a 1:1 ratio. That would be way too many roosters. Also I don't thing roosters get along with other roosters. My best guess is that you want just one rooster per coop.
That as the crux of my point. Chickens are born in a near 1:1 ratio, so if these people with their "ethical hens" and "ethical eggs" get mostly hens, then each "ethical" hen they buy involves a hatchling male chicken being ground up. Since egg farms (as well as dairy farms) need only the females for production this gives rise to people thinking that all chickens lay eggs or all cows produce milk, or they simply do not even think about the males as they see all females and equate what they see as "chicken" or "cow".
Mr. H. likes this.

Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#12 Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLightning View Post
That as the crux of my point. Chickens are born in a near 1:1 ratio, so if these people with their "ethical hens" and "ethical eggs" get mostly hens, then each "ethical" hen they buy involves a hatchling male chicken being ground up. Since egg farms (as well as dairy farms) need only the females for production this gives rise to people thinking that all chickens lay eggs or all cows produce milk, or they simply do not even think about the males as they see all females and equate what they see as "chicken" or "cow".
Oh, OH! I never thought about it that way. GOOD POINT!
#13 Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

But that point is more important if the person that has backyard chickens has purchased them from a commercial source and would not apply to hens that were rescued in some way. In the first case, the person that purchased the hens has provided financial support for the killing of the males and probably caused more of it to happen, but in the second case neither is the case.
#14 Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
But that point is more important if the person that has backyard chickens has purchased them from a commercial source and would not apply to hens that were rescued in some way. In the first case, the person that purchased the hens has provided financial support for the killing of the males and probably caused more of it to happen, but in the second case neither is the case.
True, but it depends on what type of rescue it is too. If the rescue hens were taken from a farm against the farm owner's wishes, they will simply buy extra chicks to compensate, thus more chicks being bred and more male chicks being killed. This is a double-edge to doing A.L.F style rescues, if it isn't massive enough it may not shut down that farm, and just cause them to order more.
Regardless, chickens do not belong to humans, and nor do the eggs that chickens produce. Let the chickens eat their own eggs to regain calcium, protein and calories, and save yourself the negative health effects of eggs... *shrug*

#15 Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, good point, I hadn't thought about that type of rescue. I guess it depends on exactly what we mean by rescue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page