• 1 Post By greenmamato3
  • 1 Post By heatherz82
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Kaitlyn_Moore

#1 Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Fabulous

Is Quacker Instant Oatmeal Vegan?

Hello friends!
I've been doing great going vegan all by myself and I'm proud! Not many teenagers can do it and I use to always mess up but i've been meal planning so I stay on track Anyway I've been eating the quacker dino egg instant oatmeal (cooked with water) for breakfast on lazy days and I'm pretty sure it's vegan but just making sure. Also is the Quaker Protein Triple Berry Flavour Instant Oatmeal vegan? I know these aren't the healthiest things for breakfast but I'm not big on breakfast in the mornings and only have it every few days anyway.
Liiv Line likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn_Moore View Post
Hello friends!
I've been doing great going vegan all by myself and I'm proud! Not many teenagers can do it and I use to always mess up but i've been meal planning so I stay on track Anyway I've been eating the quacker dino egg instant oatmeal (cooked with water) for breakfast on lazy days and I'm pretty sure it's vegan but just making sure. Also is the Quaker Protein Triple Berry Flavour Instant Oatmeal vegan? I know these aren't the healthiest things for breakfast but I'm not big on breakfast in the mornings and only have it every few days anyway.
I'm almost 100% positive the dinosaur one is not vegan. I think it has milk in it or something. I had looked a while back.

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
#3 Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 AM

I think apple cinnamon and raisin spice are both vegan. And the raisin date and walnut one too.
Liiv Line likes this.

#4 Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato3 View Post
I'm almost 100% positive the dinosaur one is not vegan. I think it has milk in it or something. I had looked a while back.

No need to guess, when the ingredients are posted right on the Quaker Oats website:

WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, DINOSAUR EGG SHAPED PIECES (SUGAR, DEXTROSE, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, YELLOW 5 LAKE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CONFECTIONER'S GLAZE, CARNAUBA WAX, BLUE 1 LAKE, PALM OIL), SUGAR. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, MOLASSES, CAROB POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, NIACINAMIDE*, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, FOLIC ACID*, CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3).

Link: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/h...duct/2/267.htm

I don't see any milk ingredients, but it does contain these non-vegan ingredients:

Confectioner's glaze (made from ~ 35% shellac, derived from insect shells): http://www.vrg.org/vrgnews/2010dec.php#s5

Cholecalciferol (made from sheep's wool): http://www.agdnutrition.com/d3-story.html

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#5 Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Hello friends!

All Quaker Instant Oats ingredients are shown on their website.

Protein Triple Berry Flavor:

Whole grain rolled oats (with oat bran), soy grits, sugar, oat hull fibre, soy protein concentrate, inulin, dehydrated fruit coated with coconut oil (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), salt, natural and artificial flavours, guar gum, calcium carbonate (thickener), caramel colour (soy), sucralose (8 mg per 38 g serving).

Vitamins and minerals: iron (coated with hydrogenated soybean oil), niacinamide, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid.

Link: https://www.quakeroats.ca/products/q...nstant-oatmeal

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

#6 Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
All Quaker Instant Oats ingredients are shown on their website.

Protein Triple Berry Flavor:

Whole grain rolled oats (with oat bran), soy grits, sugar, oat hull fibre, soy protein concentrate, inulin, dehydrated fruit coated with coconut oil (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), salt, natural and artificial flavours, guar gum, calcium carbonate (thickener), caramel colour (soy), sucralose (8 mg per 38 g serving).

Vitamins and minerals: iron (coated with hydrogenated soybean oil), niacinamide, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid.

Link: https://www.quakeroats.ca/products/q...nstant-oatmeal
Quote:
No need to guess, when the ingredients are posted right on the Quaker Oats website:

WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, DINOSAUR EGG SHAPED PIECES (SUGAR, DEXTROSE, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, YELLOW 5 LAKE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CONFECTIONER'S GLAZE, CARNAUBA WAX, BLUE 1 LAKE, PALM OIL), SUGAR. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, MOLASSES, CAROB POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, NIACINAMIDE*, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, FOLIC ACID*, CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3).

Link: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/h...duct/2/267.htm

I don't see any milk ingredients, but it does contain these non-vegan ingredients:

Confectioner's glaze (made from ~ 35% shellac, derived from insect shells): http://www.vrg.org/vrgnews/2010dec.php#s5

Cholecalciferol (made from sheep's wool): http://www.agdnutrition.com/d3-story.html
I don't know the random ingredients that aren't vegan O.o I've never even heard of Cholecalciferol or anything like that so I had no clue I thought vegans just avoided milk eggs meat mono and degylitics. So I guess I wasn't eating vegan with the dino oatmeal Is the berry one atlest vegan?
#7 Old 05-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
I don't know the random ingredients that aren't vegan O.o I've never even heard of Cholecalciferol or anything like that so I had no clue I thought vegans just avoided milk eggs meat mono and degylitics. So I guess I wasn't eating vegan with the dino oatmeal Is the berry one atlest vegan?

I apologize Kaitlyn - I have a bad habit of acting antisocial sometimes. Your questions are good ones.

Yep, the berry oatmeal appears to be vegan.

If you are unsure about other ingredients, you can check them at this website, from the Vegetarian (and vegan) Resource Group: http://www.vrg.org/ingredients/

_________

#8 Old 05-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Fabulous

Quote:
I apologize Kaitlyn - I have a bad habit of acting antisocial sometimes. Your questions are good ones.

Yep, the berry oatmeal appears to be vegan.

If you are unsure about other ingredients, you can check them at this website, from the Vegetarian (and vegan) Resource Group: http://www.vrg.org/ingredients/

No worries I'm antisocial a lot too lol, thank you! I feel so bad for having the dino egg one not knowing it wasn't vegan! So many secret hidden ingredients in foods I never knew about the poor cute little animal friends I feel really bad even tho it wasn't my fault I always feel like it is, but now I know so that's good I can prevent it now! I guess pretty much if you can't pronounce it it's probably not healthy or vegan anyway!
#9 Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

You know, you could just buy plain instant oats (much cheaper too). They are incredibly fast and easy to cook. All you do is pour some into a bowl. Add a little vegan sugar (whether it is organic cane sugar, maple syrup, molasses, agave, beet sugar such as American Crystal sugar, etc). Heat some water in the microwave for a minute or two, or on the stove. Add this to your oats in the bowl, and let it absorb for about a minute. Viola you have oatmeal, and it takes about 3 minutes tops to make. It is no different than cooking your instant oatmeal mix, except that you just have to add the sugar and/or spices and whatever. I don't even add sugar to mine, just fresh or frozen fruit. But my partner likes sugar in his, so I keep turbinado or organic cane sugar around for him. Just a suggestion, no judgment.
Spudulika likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 05-12-2017, 06:21 AM
Fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
You know, you could just buy plain instant oats (much cheaper too). They are incredibly fast and easy to cook. All you do is pour some into a bowl. Add a little vegan sugar (whether it is organic cane sugar, maple syrup, molasses, agave, beet sugar such as American Crystal sugar, etc). Heat some water in the microwave for a minute or two, or on the stove. Add this to your oats in the bowl, and let it absorb for about a minute. Viola you have oatmeal, and it takes about 3 minutes tops to make. It is no different than cooking your instant oatmeal mix, except that you just have to add the sugar and/or spices and whatever. I don't even add sugar to mine, just fresh or frozen fruit. But my partner likes sugar in his, so I keep turbinado or organic cane sugar around for him. Just a suggestion, no judgment.
Haha I've tried making oatmeal like that many times but I just never seem to like it and I've tried flavoring it so many different ways I guess my taste buds only like the more unhealthy version XD But thank you maybe when I go to university I'll end up liking it more who knows?
Naturebound likes this.
#11 Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Nabisco- the same company that makes Oreos and Nutter Butters- has vegan ones.
#12 Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM
person

Hi, When you look up the ingredients of a packaged food on the net and you don't know what something listed actually is just open another window and google the word and you will get all sorts of information on what it is, how it's made, what it's good for or bad for etc.

I just did that with "inulin"(in one of David3's posts on this thread) and found out what it is (starchy carbohydrate that we can't digest), where it comes from (various plants) and what it is used for ( soluble fiber).

I also ring the consumer line numbers that are on the packages (they are here I don't know if they are there) to ask for information. I rang two today one for a toothpaste and one for a brand of peanut butter.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't ask here. There is nearly always someone here that knows if an item is vegan or not. I just like to check that the things made in Australia and NZ are ok (even if they have the same brand name)

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 05-24-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Tags
is it vegan , oatmeal , quaker instant oatmeal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page