Unsupportive parents- need help! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Funsized

#1 Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM

Unsupportive parents- need help!

Hi, im a vegetarian that recently celebrated being a vegetarian for a full year. My friend just became vegan a few months ago and before then I didn't know how corrupted egg and dairy products are.

I'm in eighth grade which means my parents call the shots on my dietary needs. My mom was vegetarian for eight years until she started to get intense meat cravings ( which would last for weeks) which I'm guessing now that I know, was probably just iron deficiency. So being vegetarian was a well known and risk free option to my family. It's been great, I love eating tofu and don't miss eating meat for a second. But I'm ready to move on.

So far I've decided that since my parents have said they won't cook vegan, I've decided on meal planning. Every Sunday I'd bus to whole foods, my debit card holding my grocery allowance ( my family doesn't have money problems so that would be okay) and buy groceries. Then cook my dinners for the week until next Sunday. Sunday would just be prep day.

I've also made a vegan info book which is where I store recipes, vegan iron and protein sources, egg and dairy substitutes, required supplements, dietary tips, main foods eaten in a vegan diet, etc..

And I'm going to propose a two week test run. Tell them I'll meal plan and become a vegan for two weeks. Just to see how things would go.

Any tips or anything of people with unsupportive family members as well?

( they've also known people who have gotten sick etc.. From being vegan. One person lost more than a healthy AMMOUNT of weight)
Vegan Dave and BlueMts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Sounds like a good and responsible plan! I hope your family goes for it. Welcome and good luck!

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
#3 Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 AM
person

Sounds good to me and well thought out. Good luck

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

#4 Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Ankle Biter

Imho, if your parents support your being vegetarian, you've got pretty cool parents. If they do not support your going vegan, chalk it up to the fact that they love you, they want you to be healthy, and are perhaps not up on the latest health news - oh well. Your plan sounds reasonable. But you are a minor. So if your parents put their feet down on your going vegan, chill. Soon you will be an adult and you can then do/eat/whatever however you wish. (woo hoo!)For now, though, count your lucky stars that they are willing to accept you as veg. Then learn to make a couple of really excellent vegan meals that you know/hope they will like, offer to shop and make the meal and clean up - and don't bring up animal rights issues at the table! Be as nice as you can be, don't cop an attitude, and don't preach. Preaching is a sure sign of "this is a phase". good luck! And just remember, when you are 18, you'll be an adult and can do as you please!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Beginner

You didn't make it clear if they were unsupportive or not. If they are unsupportive, I recommend you show them the YouTube channel Mic the Vegan, as well as the website NutritionFacts.org started by Dr. Michael Greger.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJ...FSwgcqgxIE9MHw

https://nutritionfacts.org

I also recommend this cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/Thug-Kitchen-...ug%27s+kitchen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to this Riuma. All rights reserved.
#6 Old 05-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post

I also recommend this cookbook:
Umm, no please don't look up that book. I don't think your parents would like it.
There's a lot of swearing and apart from the recipes, it's also a comedy book for adults.
#7 Old 05-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Umm, no please don't look up that book. I don't think your parents would like it.
There's a lot of swearing and apart from the recipes, it's also a comedy book for adults.
Yea that could be an issue, but it has some good recipes in it.

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to this Riuma. All rights reserved.
#8 Old 05-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

It's fantastic that you are mindful of your eating habits at such a young age!!

Be very respectful, and ask your parents if they want a healthy child.

If so, ask them to watch FORKS OVER KNIVES. (There are many other vegetarian videos).

Tell them that you don't want to be one of the kids that are eating the standard American diet...and are predisposed to being over weight or obese, and at risk for diabetes, etc.

Tell them that your healthy diet will save them a lot of money in health care costs.

Plus, you'll be at your ideal weight, and be able to participate in sports, etc.

Ask them that if they really love you, shouldn't they support your efforts to be a healthy child?

If they don't support you, ask them if they have a better plan for your health.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Tags
parents , unsupportive , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page