6Likes
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Red face New Vegan Questions?

Hey guys,

So I'm a 20 year old college student in NYC. I recently had to drop out for the semester because my unhealthy lifestyle finally took it's toll on me and landed me in the hospital. I am not home till September, working, saving up money and I will be returning to school in the fall.

I decided to go vegan because I never want to get sick like that again and for the longest time I felt to guilt that I was contributing to the immense environmental issues we have today and it was time I did something.

I've been vegan for almost a week now and I'm really feeling great, I have a lot more energy and I just feel refreshed. Unfortuantelly, I can't really tell my family because we're Greek and my parents would freek on me if they knew so I'm just telling them that my doctor ordered this diet. I also did get my blood tested and was approved to continue this diet by my doctor a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I've noticed a couple of changes happening and I just wanted to know if they're normal.

1) I'm eating a lot more meals every day but I can't eat large portions or I really don't feel very well. As a result, I'll have 6-7 small meals a day.

2) I'm getting little dizzy spurs so I assumed that maybe I'm dehydrated? Is it ok to have a gatorade or should I stick with water?

3) Are there any vitamins I should be taking? I did my research and the only on that seems to be necessary is b-12? I understand of course this means I'm getting adequate amounts of other vitamins from fruits and veggies as well as regular vitamin D from the sun.

4) I'm having a bit of difficulty sleeping at night but I figure that's guaranteed to happen with any diet?

Any other tips you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdigigirl View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm a 20 year old college student in NYC. I recently had to drop out for the semester because my unhealthy lifestyle finally took it's toll on me and landed me in the hospital. I am not home till September, working, saving up money and I will be returning to school in the fall.

I decided to go vegan because I never want to get sick like that again and for the longest time I felt to guilt that I was contributing to the immense environmental issues we have today and it was time I did something.

I've been vegan for almost a week now and I'm really feeling great, I have a lot more energy and I just feel refreshed. Unfortuantelly, I can't really tell my family because we're Greek and my parents would freek on me if they knew so I'm just telling them that my doctor ordered this diet. I also did get my blood tested and was approved to continue this diet by my doctor a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I've noticed a couple of changes happening and I just wanted to know if they're normal.

1) I'm eating a lot more meals every day but I can't eat large portions or I really don't feel very well. As a result, I'll have 6-7 small meals a day.

2) I'm getting little dizzy spurs so I assumed that maybe I'm dehydrated? Is it ok to have a gatorade or should I stick with water?

3) Are there any vitamins I should be taking? I did my research and the only on that seems to be necessary is b-12? I understand of course this means I'm getting adequate amounts of other vitamins from fruits and veggies as well as regular vitamin D from the sun.

4) I'm having a bit of difficulty sleeping at night but I figure that's guaranteed to happen with any diet?

Any other tips you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi mzdigigirl, and welcome to the forum!

Great to hear that you are enjoying vegan eating. I've been a vegan for 26 years, and other forum members here have also been vegetarian / vegan for decades.

Because your medical condition was (is?) severe enough to require extended hospitalization, I strongly encourage you to plan your vegan diet with a Registered Dietitian who will work with you and your physician. A change to a vegan diet, though positive, can require changes to medicine doses and other treatments.

You can find a local Registered Dietitian (RD or RDN) through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org. Just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper-right of their webpage. You can select from RD's who specialize in vegetarian nutrition, and in other nutrition-related issues (diabetes, weight management, etc.). Because you are managing a serious health issue, your insurance may actually cover the cost of the appointment.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy meeting everyone here.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 04-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
#3 Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What do your meals consist of? Are you eating enough grains or starches with your meals (pasta, rice, potatoes)?
If your meals are mostly consisting of vegetables, they can make you feel full, but in the end, you only ate about 200-300 calories due to the low calories by volume.
David3 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 04-16-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
What do your meals consist of? Are you eating enough grains or starches with your meals (pasta, rice, potatoes)?
If your meals are mostly consisting of vegetables, they can make you feel full, but in the end, you only ate about 200-300 calories due to the low calories by volume.
Hey!

So my meals usually consist of primarily fruits and veggies. I also include a variety of nuts occasionally (almonds, peanuts, macadamias ect.). I haven't had the opportunity to make some pasta or bake some potatoes but I will definitely get to it next week once I find some good recipes.
#5 Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hi there
How about the beans, legumes, lentils, tofu, seitan, whole grains?

I just want to acknowledge that saying 'vegan diet' does not in itself mean healthy, it can be just as junky, or healthy, or in between, as any omni diet

I do agree with seeing a dietitian if your previous diet put you in such bad health.

Here are some good links to check -
http://www.internationalvegan.org/nutrition/
https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf
David3 likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdigigirl View Post
Hey!

So my meals usually consist of primarily fruits and veggies. I also include a variety of nuts occasionally (almonds, peanuts, macadamias ect.). I haven't had the opportunity to make some pasta or bake some potatoes but I will definitely get to it next week once I find some good recipes.

Hi mzdigigirl,

Although it's possible to eat a diet of primarily fruits and veggies, mainstream vegan organizations also recommend including legumes (beans, lentils, tofu) and whole grains. As jessandreia said, it can be difficult to consume enough calories if you're only eating fruits and veggies.

The Vegan Society and Mercy For Animals recommend this approximate ratio of foods (see below). You don't have to exactly match the ratios shown below - just try to enjoy a variety of these foods each day.

Whole grain foods include whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, bread, tortillas, corn, brown rice, quinoa, and others.

Tasty bean foods include vegetarian chili (available in cans at your supermarket), lentil soup (also available in cans), hummus dip, falafel, bean burritos, and others. Tofu can be finely mashed and added to oatmeal, or to your spaghetti sauce.

Here is a good website that summarizes vegan nutrition, and contains lots of easy meal ideas: http://www.chooseveg.com/ .

As I mentioned in my earlier post above, I really encourage you to ask a Registered Dietitian to help you plan your diet, due to your existing medical issues.

Welcome to the forum with us!
Spudulika and BlueMts like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 04-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.
#7 Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 AM

well, i think dizziness can be caused by quick change in your diet, or your iron levels are low.. keep doing what you are doing for a month and do a blood test to compare is any improvements. Doctor will tell you which vitamins to take if needed or just tell you 'Well done!'
#8 Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh not posh View Post
well, i think dizziness can be caused by quick change in your diet, or your iron levels are low.. keep doing what you are doing for a month and do a blood test to compare is any improvements. Doctor will tell you which vitamins to take if needed or just tell you 'Well done!'
Not a good to "keep doing what you are doing" when you're having dizzy spells! Time to take a really good look at vegan food choices and nutrition. It sounds like too few calories may be a factor. I've never heard dizziness caused by a quick change of diet if it's complete.

Quite frankly, most doctors have little of nutrition and will only point to deficeits from in bloodwork. Anyway, a week in is not enough to produce dificeintcies-other than calories
David3 and BlueMts like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tags
advice , new vegan , question , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page