Is OREO cookies Vegan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Question Is OREO cookies Vegan?

Hello veggies!

I wanted to know whether OREO's are fully veggy-friendly??

One of the ingredients in question are Glucose Fructose Syrup, is it fully vegan?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieQuestions View Post
Hello veggies!

I wanted to know whether OREO's are fully veggy-friendly??

One of the ingredients in question are Glucose Fructose Syrup, is it fully vegan?

Thanks!
According to www.oreo.co.uk/faq , OREOs have milk as cross contact. I guess that's the only thing that doesn't make them vegan-friendly. I'd be more worried about the high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) that's in them however.

The glucose-fructose that is used in many of the processed foods stocked on the shelves of mainstream grocery stores today is usually made from genetically modified corn. YUCK!!!

Check out: http://www.facebook.com/BanOfHFCS and/or www.kingcorn.net

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
#3 Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Plant Powered

From what I understand, the latest is that they cannot guarantee that the sugar they use is vegan friendly (i.e.: not processed with bone char). Therefore, technically, they would not be vegan friendly.

Newman O's are vegan though, and IMO, they are much tastier

#4 Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

This comes up quite a bit-I believe in the UK, and Canada, they contain milk products, but not US.
I'm not a fan, but I don't totally avoid sugar in foods I may be offered. I'm likely to accept an Oreo if I'm offered one and have a sweet craving,

I don't know what the difference between glucose-fructose and high fructose corn syrup, but I more avoid, but not completely abstain from HFCS. I'm the same with palm oil. There are occasions I buy something with it, but rare

US oreo ingrediants-
UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN(--)AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tags
oreo , vegeterian-friendly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page