Main Dinner Proteins Help! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Question Main Dinner Proteins Help!

So my fiance is not vegan and I am. As a non vegan traditional dinner options are a protein (some meat) and a veggie and when I am short on time I would love to still be able to do this. However, as a vegan, I find it hard to come up with ideas for a main protein that isn't part of a bigger dish/recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions for proteins that are simple and can be served alongside a veggie that aren't a whole new complicated recipe themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Peace

Just vegan burgers, sausages etc? I mean the prepackaged stuff.

It might not be the healthiest option but I see no harm in them, I use them frequently myself and they haven't stopped me losing weight or caused any other remarkable unhealhty effects.

I'm chronically ill so I often don't feel the energy to cook, and those things are a lifesaver for me. They might be for you too.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#3 Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Bandit

Seitan steaks aren't difficult to make with some vegan gravy of your choice (though recipes *can* become more complex, for example seitan chkn fried steak takes more time and ingredients than a basic recipe).

If you don't want to cook really, Gardein makes very convenient and convincing Fishless Filets, as well as their ...Hmmm...I think it's orange chkn, or sweet and sour chkn? Just pan fry for a few minutes and microwave the sauce on the chkn (for fishless filets, use ketchup, or malt vinegar and lemon, or whip up a simple vegan tartar sauce ) ...you can also bake both if you stay away from pan frying.

I like Tofurky kielbasa vegan sausage, for a few minutes in a cast iron pan with sourkraut, until lightly browned, can use a canola oil spray for less oil, or a dab of olive oil for richer flavor. Serve with horseradish or brown mustard (or yellow mustard w/e) ...pair up with a quick veggie or a green salad. Can also make a sandwich on bun instead.

There are some meatless crumbles out there that can easily be added to recipes, like in spaghetti sauce, lasagna or stuffed shells (with vegan cream cheese or Daiya), or mixed with sauce to make Manwiches, or whip up something with a white vegan gravy or "cream" sauce and onions and mushrooms, over pasta or potatoes.

If you are trying to avoid pre-made vegan "meats" entirely, I suggest again basic seitan steaks you can make at home easily, as well as pan fried or baked tofu with spices or marinade, and adding beans to burritos or rice dishes, and lentils to tacos and ethnic dishes. Explore Indian, Thai and/or Mediterranean food - falafel with tahini, hummus and/or babaganoush is a protein in its own right, and Indian food that has dal and spinach somewhere in the mix is good protein. Thai food is very simple to add chunks of firm tofu.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

#4 Old 03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmf003 View Post
So my fiance is not vegan and I am. As a non vegan traditional dinner options are a protein (some meat) and a veggie and when I am short on time I would love to still be able to do this. However, as a vegan, I find it hard to come up with ideas for a main protein that isn't part of a bigger dish/recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions for proteins that are simple and can be served alongside a veggie that aren't a whole new complicated recipe themselves?
This has to do with your style of eating vs. his style, not vegan vs. omni!

I often have seitan cutlets, tofu nuggets, patties, meatless loaves, seitan sausages, seasoned beans, tempeh patties, okara cakes....

First that comes to mind are the chickpea cutlets from the Isa Moscowitz Veganonicom. Rather than just fry or bake them, I make as directed but add broth in a skillet to halfway their height, and simmer till absorbed and browned, then flip and do the same. These are great cutlets to have with potatoes and mushroom gravy

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

Great! These are all great suggestions! I have seen the seitan steaks out there and have made some seitan chicken before, so this is probably the option I will go the most with along with the marinaded and seasoned tofu! Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all great and I will definitely explore most of them!
#6 Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I like to make tempeh "bacon" to go along with pancakes, or even with a potato and veggies.

I second the chickpea nuggets, very easy to make.

Sometimes I simply roast chickpeas in coconut oil and paprika in a roasting pan in the oven and that can go with anything.

Baked beans are a little more complicated but not too hard to make. Those of course MUST go with potato salad and cornbread lol. I believe Amy's brand makes a vegan canned baked beans which you would just heat on the stove or in a microwave.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
dinner ideas , ideas , protein , recipe , simple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page