VeggieBoards banner

What should I do with my seitan?

924 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SapphireLightning 
#1 ·
I have the best part of a 1lb sausage of seitan in the fridge.

When I make it, it usually ends up in sandwiches for work, but I think PB won out this week as we have a huge jar of that.

Now I'm thinking I should use it up in something tasty tonight before it goes stale (I don't know what the life of homemade seitan is in the fridge - any thoughts)

My first thoughts are to do a mushroom and seitan stew with carrots and potatoes.

Anyone got any other good ideas? I have more in the freezer.

#3 ·
^^^that pizza idea sounds fantastic!

I just went to Sprouts and bought a TON of faux meats/vegan cheeses & faux dairy last night (I went a little overboard :p ). One of the things I bought was a package of sliced seitan that I'm so excited to try! The package suggested making faux philly cheese sandwiches out of it - once I stopped drooling I bought some onions and peppers and plan on trying that this week!

Reactions: Spudulika
#4 ·
When I make seitan sausage it is usually for pizza, or I cook it up in a pan (unsliced) with onions and green peppers, served with a side of spicy mustard and BBQ sauce. I also will tend to just eat it like a stick of pepperoni. :p

#6 ·
I used most of it in a stew with mushrooms, potatoes and carrots in a 'beefy' red wine and yeast extract stock, and it was blumming amazing. Soooo tasty. Had what was left of the first sausage in sarnis for work today with mustard and greens - really is so much better than any of the bought faux meat sandwich slices I've tried.

#10 ·
I stopped calling stuff like tofu/seitan/tempeh "meat substitutes" a long time ago. Whenever I would bring up how good a chunk of seitan I made was, I was always told something like "yeah but it is fake meat". I now tell people, no, it is seitan, it is its own food. Something completely different. It is savory and you can program the flavor and texture of it. I have gotten the "vegans eat too much fake food" lines, so I need to express that things like tofu and seitan are their own foods, and not fake in any way.

#8 ·
I got an idea. Send me some. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.