• 1 Post By greenmamato3
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Alicia Laucirica
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Thia Winter
  • 2 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 AM

Screwing up Day #2

I went out to buy some food for the week that i thought was vegan i looked at the packaging and there was a label that said may contain milk that i missed. Im doing the best i can right now but i beat myself up a bit if i screw up. I dont have time to return it. I have to eat it, im poor and in college and i cant afford to waste food convenient for me. but i have to say im not completely vegan yet. Any words of encouragement from ppl who have gone through this?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 AM
Peace

''May contain milk'' doesn't mean it contains milk.

It means that the product is made in a place where products with milk in them are made and it's required to state it due to allergy laws.

Most people consider such products vegan. So you didn't screw up.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#3 Old 02-14-2017, 02:08 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Transitioning to vegan is a complex learning process. We have priorities that are overlooked by mainstream marketers. Cut yourself some slack. We've all done it!
Purp and highlyoriginal like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

#4 Old 02-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, may contain doesn't mean it contains. There are vegans who go as far as not eating products that say "may contain", but from what I've seen most don't go that far, myself included.

I've been vegan for a while and not that long ago I got crackers that eggs in them. Only noticed when I was halfway through the package. Doesn't feel great, but not a big deal. I just know for next time not to get that product.
Sidhuriel likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM

I don't eat "may contain" products, but it is quite limiting.
Purp likes this.

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
#6 Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Precautionary labelling

This is the type of labelling that uses terms such as 'may contain'. This type of labelling (also termed advisory labelling or defensive labelling) is strictly voluntary and not required by federal regulation. Consequently, situations when precautionary labelling may be used vary among food companies, as does the wording of the statements used (see Table for some examples but note this list is not exhaustive!!). FDA specifies that such labelling cannot be used as a substitute for good manufacturing practices such as allergen identification and control, cleaning of shared equipment, and segregation during processing. Some consumers believe manufacturers use precautionary labels as a way to protect themselves from legal action in case a food causes a reaction. This is not typically the case since this type of label should only be used by food manufacturers when there actually is a possibility (however small) that the food may contain an allergen which is not an ingredient but may be present as a result of the manufacturing process.
From : http://farrp.unl.edu/food-labelling-...ergic-consumer

These really are legal terms to protect companies from lawsuits rather than the possibility of contamination. I used to stress over it, I don't give it a thought anymore, but don't come across those labels much
Purp and Sidhuriel like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Thanks you guys. I had no idea that it not even containing milk was a possibility
#8 Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Laucirica View Post
I went out to buy some food for the week that i thought was vegan i looked at the packaging and there was a label that said may contain milk that i missed. Im doing the best i can right now but i beat myself up a bit if i screw up. I dont have time to return it. I have to eat it, im poor and in college and i cant afford to waste food convenient for me. but i have to say im not completely vegan yet. Any words of encouragement from ppl who have gone through this?
*picks up @Alicia Laucirica, dusts her off,and stands her up again*. Don't beat your self up over it. Unless you have an allergy, which is why those "May contain" labels are on there, I wouldn't worry about it. Take care.
Sidhuriel likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 AM

I agree. Don't beat yourself up. Part of living a lifestyle without harm means caring for you too. We all have done it.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Plant Powered

Everyone has to decide for themselves what their boundaries are, but personally, I don't worry about "may contain" statements. All it means is that the product is made in the same factory as other products containing those things. Worst case scenario, it may have microscopic traces of it, but it's mainly just a legal disclaimer ^_^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page