Vegan hunger & weight gain? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 AM

Question Vegan hunger & weight gain?

Hello

I've been a vegetarian for a year and so many months and decided I wanted to go vegan.

I'm in the UK and follow a Slimming World diet which is basically eating clean (high carb low fat if I'm correct) if you know what SW is. And I'm constantly hungry all the time I never get full up no matter what I eat and people have pointed it out. I've also gained 3 pounds.

I eat vegetables, fruit, soya meat replacements, pasta ect.

Weight for me is a big thing I used to be big and it effects me confidence wise and mentally. And being vegetarian I've never had this problem, weird.

Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Instead of high carb, low fat, try moderate carbs, and a little more fat. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein. I find that protein helps fill me up too.
Also, a 3-pound weight gain is nothing. Very normal for weight to fluctuate even during the day.
You didn't have this problem as a vegetarian probably because dairy is higher in fat (and calories).

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 02-03-2017 at 02:55 PM.
#3 Old 02-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like you've only been vegan for a short time. I think you need to try it out for some months to get a clearer idea of whether your way is temporarily fluctuating up or whatever.

Because it doesn't sound like you are on a diet that would cause weight gain in particular.

#4 Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Peace

Keep track of your calories, nutrient intake and general food consumption through an app like myfitnesspal. That might give you insight in how many calories you are really eating and might show you some habits you were not aware of that might cause weight gain.

For me it was an eye opener to do that, by just tracking my daily calories I lost 3 stone in a year. And never felt hungry or anything, because it taught me new ways to eat through experience. Why eat a 800 calorie pizza when I can have two plates of veggie roast dinner instead for the same calories?

Stuff like that really taught me how to eat healthily in a way that was manageable for me. Since being vegan is new to you, I recommend that you help yourself by doing something similar.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#5 Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone!

I just started to panic cause I've watched YouTube videos of vegans saying they eat double and still lose weight and stuff similar and within a week I got on scales and put 3 pounds back on. I'll download MFP app, follow Slimming World and try to do smaller portions.
#6 Old 02-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I just browsed Slimming Worlds site- It actually sounds like how I eat now-that caused me to gain everything I'd lost back! Unlimited pasta, beans, rice...Food optimizing?

When I first changed my diet I was all about Dr. Furhmans Eat to Live, which is unlimited veggies, dark leafys, proper fruits, then servings of beans, lentils, legumes, tofu, tempeh, whole grains. By eating all whole food/plant based and exercise I lost and looked great, felt great. When I started focusing more on vegan (I would still have cheese then) I got into baking, and really just started to really enjoy making, and eating foods.

How long have you followed this Slimming World, and can you tell more about it's strategy?
The food it says are free are the ones I overeat!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlewis3 View Post
Thanks everyone!

I just started to panic cause I've watched YouTube videos of vegans saying they eat double and still lose weight and stuff similar and within a week I got on scales and put 3 pounds back on. I'll download MFP app, follow Slimming World and try to do smaller portions.
They may eat double, but it's food that is low in calories. Or they started to exercise more, but don't mention it.
This whole "You can eat as much as you want as a vegan and lose weight" some vegans like to say is BS. You can lose or gain weight eating vegan.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#8 Old 02-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I just browsed Slimming Worlds site- It actually sounds like how I eat now-that caused me to gain everything I'd lost back! Unlimited pasta, beans, rice...Food optimizing?
I was just reading this on their website. They say you can have unlimited calories... lol. A good portion of my husband's diet consists of beans, rice, and pasta, he has in the past gained weight eating those foods when he's not careful with his portions. He's also lost weight eating those foods being careful with his portions.

Honestly, doesn't sound like any program that anyone should be following, and I hope you, OP, aren't paying for it.

Tags
hungry , slimming world , Vegan , vegetarian , weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page