How much do you eat? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dilettante
  • 2 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 AM

How much do you eat?

I made a thread not long ago in here, I am transitioning to vegan, will probably aim for end of february to be "done" with the transitioning. I do not have much place for food, so I will try to decide on maybe 20 things that I want to eat regulary and try to make place for those.

I have been looking at what my favorite veggies contain, before doing this I was only concerned about protein but now I'm starting to realise that I will have to eat a lot of food to get that I need, calorie and vitamin/mineral-wise.

How much do you eat? how big are your portions? What veggies do you mostly eat?

Another question while I'm at it: which non-animal milk tastes the best? I love warm chocolate and did try hazelnut milk, and that was bad. I could smell the hazelnuts from a meter away, it didn't taste as bad as it smelled, but I would like it to taste like...well...hot chocolate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

You do need larger portions or more snacks. I just eat until I am not hungry and check my weight regularly and use that to make minor adjustments, I don't actually measure calories.

Fats contain more calories per gram, and meat and dairy contain more fat than plant foods, so vegan contains less calories per gram, so you need to eat more grams.

Also, some meat and dairy foods are quite dense with more grams per unit area, so you need smaller amounts, so you also need your plate to look a bit larger.

If you don't count calories then aim for 10-20% more food to start with, and adjust up and down from there based on gut instinct, weight adjustment, and how you feel. Good luck!
#3 Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The concerns about having to eat more food apply mainly if it's a whole plant food, low fat vegan diet. That's just one type of vegan diet. If you eat vegan food with a lot of fat, such as processed food like faux meats, nuts and seeds, or junk food like potato chips, then you wouldn't need to eat any more food than an omni would to maintain weight.

By the way, oil seeds in particular are pretty similar to meat from a nutritional standpoint. Oil seeds include almonds, peanuts, and under some definitions, soybeans. If you eat a lot of oil seeds, or as noted faux meats or junk snack food, then a vegan diet wouldn't be that different from omni when it comes to weight gain/loss.

Incidentally, I am a vegetarian who eats vegan at least 95% of the time (exception: occasional cheese in social situations). My diet is a long way from whole plant food. A lot of tempeh, oil seeds, legumes, and faux meats. As a middle-aged male, I have to watch my weight to make sure it doesn't creep up, just as omnis do. I do this by restricting portion sizes and weighing myself everyday so that I don't put on weight.

So, again, it all depends on the type of vegan diet.
silva and Spudulika like this.

#4 Old 01-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say if you replace meat with soy burgers, and eat an equal amount of junk and processed food than before, then you are still going to need to eat a little more.

That's my experience and what seems logical.

What you say would be logical, if upon becoming vegan you eat more processed and junk foods than you did before, in effect replacing meat with these foods, and not increasing your fruit and vegetable intake.
Dilettante and Thalassa like this.
#5 Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say if you replace meat with soy burgers, and eat an equal amount of junk and processed food than before, then you are still going to need to eat a little more.

That's my experience and what seems logical.

Upon further consideration, Jamie, I think you're right, assuming (as I believe is correct) portion sizes are measured on a per unit of mass basis. This is because vegan foods, even on a diet like mine which is not wpf, tend to have more fiber. Fiber adds mass without adding energy (calories), so in order to get the same energy as an omni, typically the mass would have to be greater. Hence the portion sizes would be greater.

For example, today I had:

1. Oatmeal and soy milk with blueberries for breakfast (same mass/portion size as a typical omni breakfast)

2. Lentil soup and wild rice for lunch (more mass/portion size than a typical omni lunch of, say, a turkey sandwich, because the lentils and wild rice have a lot of fiber, which is mass without as much energy)

3. A veggie burger with a side of tempeh and brown rice for dinner (probably slightly more mass/portion size than a typical omni dinner because the tempeh and, to a lesser extent, the brown rice have more fiber than a typical omni side of a baked potato or French fries).

So, looking at today's meals, which are fairly typical for me, it seems that the lunch and dinner had more mass, and thus greater portion sizes, than a typical omni lunch and dinner of equivalent energy/calories. However, I didn't find it a chore or a time-consuming task to eat either of those meals, so it didn't feel like bigger portion sizes when I was eating them, even though technically it was.

Last edited by Dilettante; 01-10-2017 at 06:40 AM.
#6 Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 AM
Peace

I am counting calories and am staying around 2000 kcal, the recommended amount for a woman. I lost 3 stone that way.

I am from Europe so I can only tell you my habits in grams not cups.

I have about 350 grams of veg every night, with about 200 grams of starches and a 100 grams of protein. Varying types of it each night.

For breakfast I have two slices of whole wheat toast and a piece of fruit and usually a soy product. In winter I have oatmeal and fruit.

For lunch I usually eat the same or something like a soup or a salad to get some extra veg.

I snack on stuff like dates, nuts and raisins, chocolate and sometimes cookies. As long as it fits my calorie scheme.

I recommend unsweetened soy milk because it has the most neutral flavour, I use it for chocolate milk, oatmeal but also mashed potatoes etc.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#7 Old 01-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Thank you all for your replies! They are really helpful

I will probably eat way less junk food than what I did before for two reasons: 1. I can't find anything vegan in the stores among the things I used to buy, 2. because I want to get as healthy as possible. My new year resolution was to stop eating chips and things like that (I used to replace meals with those!) so far it is going really well, my appetite for such things recently vanished, which feels really great.

I'm not used to cooking meat at all (I have been avoiding it for years), so I'm not too sure about the veggie burgers, I suppose I could try.

Thanks again!
#8 Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Bandit

Depends. If you eat a lot of whole foods like beans, grains, veggies and fruit, I recommend eating bigger portions, or six small meals instead of three larger ones (so that you get enough calories and nutrition without feeling overly full from fiber)...if you eat some meals with things like pan fried faux chkn in oil, you can eat about the same amount you would as an omni. More calories, more fat, more filling.

For example I ate a peppered Tofurky sandwich with Just Mayo and sliced tomatoes, on sourdough toast for breakfast, with coffee. Because of the Tofurky and vegan mayo, I just ate a sandwich just like any person would eat.

But if I were eating beans or tofu with brown rice and vegetables, I would probably eat a larger portion than an omnivore or dairy/cheese eater would.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#9 Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Bandit

Also I am not sure where you are from, but American portion sizes are actually adequate for vegans. If American vegans eat beans and rice in the same huge portions as their meat-eating counterparts, they are getting plenty of nutrients but may lose extra weight they put on eating huge portions as an omni.

Portion sizes will probably be more obvious for vegans in Europe.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 01-13-2017, 12:02 AM

I'm from Sweden and have difficulties eating a standard Swedish portion (I get full really fast), hopefully food without egg and dairy will feel light enough to make me able to eat more of it.

Thank you for the reply, I think 6 small meals would be easier for me since I can't eat big portions.
#11 Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 AM

Actually, many veggie contains high calories that is much more than types of meat.
Vegetable oil: Olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, Hazenut oil, etc.
Nuts and seeds: For examole, macadamia nuts can provide us up to 718 calories in 100 grams.
Butters: 100 grams peanut butter is loaded with 590 calories.
Dried fruits and fruits juice
Avocados: Half a typical avocado contains 7 grams of fibre, 41% DRV for folate, and only 2 grams of saturated fat.
Whole Grains (Wholewheat Pasta, Cooked)
So you can add them in your daily diet and don't need to increase your normal intake.
About what non-animal milk tastes best, just find out by yourself. Each person has different favorite foods. Personally, I like hazelnut milk.
#12 Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maara View Post
I made a thread not long ago in here, I am transitioning to vegan, will probably aim for end of february to be "done" with the transitioning. I do not have much place for food, so I will try to decide on maybe 20 things that I want to eat regulary and try to make place for those.

I have been looking at what my favorite veggies contain, before doing this I was only concerned about protein but now I'm starting to realise that I will have to eat a lot of food to get that I need, calorie and vitamin/mineral-wise.

How much do you eat? how big are your portions? What veggies do you mostly eat?

Another question while I'm at it: which non-animal milk tastes the best? I love warm chocolate and did try hazelnut milk, and that was bad. I could smell the hazelnuts from a meter away, it didn't taste as bad as it smelled, but I would like it to taste like...well...hot chocolate.

Hi Maara,

Here's a pretty easy way to make sure you're eating enough:

First, use a calorie-requirements calculator to estimate your daily calorie needs: https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

Next, just remember this calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of cooked beans/legumes contains about 230 calories

One cup of cooked grains/pasta contains about 190 calories

One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#13 Old 01-14-2017, 01:02 AM

Thank you both for the tips! I have no idea how much one cup is, but I suppose I can find it converted to dl on the internet if I search for it. That nuts and seeds are so many calories makes it easier for me though, thanks again! ^.^
#14 Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 AM

Not much. Just eat the possible amount of foods which my belly can keep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page