Any harm in drinking milk? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 10-05-2016, 07:21 AM

Any harm in drinking milk?

I have researched the internet and i can't come to a conclusion whether milk really is bad in long term. I enjoy milk. I am from india where everyone drinks milk on a daily basis whether in form of pure milk or tea/coffee/ yogurt/ paneer. I wanted to know opinion of vegans about this. I only drink organic lactose free milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

You started this in the vegan section so you will get very honest answers about the dairy industries cruelty to cows, as well as the adverse health effects.
s
All milk is specific for babies of the species. Cow milk is wonderful for calves and it is horrible that humans take it. I realize in India there are more humane dairys, like Krishnas Cows, but pretty much everywhere else cows are bred to produce far more milk than their bodies can safely handle, and bred far too often. They're treated as machines.

I understand it can be done in a more humane manner in small farms, but the bottom line is that milk is not neccesary for anyone but babies- of the same species

Especially being lactose intolerent I would suggest any variety of non dairy milk

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 10-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Avoiding milk In India is quite something!and being vegitarians I don't see any other protien source other than panner!I personally don't like milk but love panner!i have to say that I made good gains just by having paneer!but the constant body heat is something you have to deal with!cheers

#4 Old 10-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveg View Post
Avoiding milk In India is quite something!and being vegitarians I don't see any other protien source other than panner!I personally don't like milk but love panner!i have to say that I made good gains just by having paneer!but the constant body heat is something you have to deal with!cheers
I'm scared to think you may be serious!

Any and all beans, lentils, pulses, seeds, whole grains--
All food, but some fruits, contain some protein in varying degrees

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
Werewolf Girl and CaGoldi like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Milk is definitely not required for protein. Legumes such as beans, peans, lentils are high in protein, so is broccoli, lettuce and mushrooms have protein.

Milk can involve killing the cows when they become unproductive, separating them from their young, and keeping them captive in small spaces without much of a life, so it is a cruel practice. Vegans would not drink milk. If you are using milk, you are paying to support this practice.

You can find soy milk or other non-animal milks. I haven't tried them. I don't know how easy they are to find in India.

Milk is a habit, but there is no need for it. However in other people's houses you could probably just drink tea without milk?
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#6 Old 10-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

The harm in milk is mostly to the cows -- they are not treated well. You can watch some of the undercover investigations from Mercy for Animals if you want to know more. Dairy cows are also generally slaughtered when they stop producing milk, and they have to be periodically impregnated to continue producing milk (the calves often end up being slaughtered for veal).

As far as for people, there really aren't great benefits to drinking dairy milk, although I don't believe most of the "milk is bad for you" propaganda from certain vegan groups. What is true is that full-fat dairy products are pretty high in saturated fat, which is not as heart healthy as plant oils.

It is thankfully easy to replace milk. Soy, almond, coconut and other nondairy milks are delicious and usually fortified with the vitamins and minerals you would usually get from milk (check labels). Plant milks are more environmentally friendly, too. Tofu can stand in easily for paneer, and soy yogurt is available commercially or easy to make from scratch. Vegan cheeses are getting better and better all the time.

I hope you will at least consider exploring some of the delicious nondairy options out there!
#7 Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
I second all of the above!
Plus on the health side of things, rather than the ethics, I agree that the milk health propaganda is a bit overblown (in fact full-cream milk is shown to lower diabetes risk and perhaps heart disease! But skim milk is terrible for you. And all of them raise IGF-1 a whole lot and that isn't good...) but it's definitely not necessary for human health and errs on the side of detrimental.

Many people have health issues coming from milk (like me) and don't realise this until they cut it out. Perhaps you could trial life without it for a while and see how you feel? Habit is powerful and my milk-drinking was all habit. I hate the taste and feel of it now. And that's not even going into the environmental and animal cruelty issues.
#8 Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

The dairy industry is cruel to cows, but milk is probably not that unhealthy to humans. Also, I don't get the argument that I always see on vegan pages that milk is "not necessary." Of course milk is not necessary in the human diet, but neither is any single food item. Neither rice, nor wheat, nor soy, nor orange juice is necessary. Milk is, however, a convenient source of protein and calcium. The relevant point, however, is that milk (meaning dairy milk), despite being a convenient food source, is produced in a way that causes suffering. Dairy cows have their babies taken shortly after birth, are often abused, and are sent for slaughter when they're no longer sufficiently productive. So, despite the usefulness (though not necessity) of milk and its derivatives (cheese, etc.) in the human diet, and despite the fact that some of these products taste good, humans should begin transitioning away from consuming dairy. Soy milk, in particular, is a near perfect replacement for dairy milk, without the cruelty. Soy milk fortified with calcium is nearly nutritionally identical to dairy milk. Most of the other plant milks besides soy have very little protein and do not pack the same nutritional punch.

Tags
milk , oragnic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page