advice for getting digestion back on track - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 09-09-2016, 12:09 PM

advice for getting digestion back on track

Hi!
I am about to go home after vacationing with my boyfriend's family; they're not veggie whatsoever and at the restaurant choices, I was usually stuck with either fries or white rice and vegetables.

I did end up having lunch at Down to Earth in Oahu a lot, and am bringing food from there from the flight back.

Anyways, not to be crude but I was pooping three times a day at home, flat belly, and feeling great and now my stomach is a balloon, I haven't even pooped today and I feel like cr@p.

When I get home, any tips to expedite the process to get digestion on track?

My ideas so far:
-Laxatives
-Drink a lot of water
-Possibly fasting?

Those are my only ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you stayed vegan, but ate fried, processed and sugared foods? I do that a lot and am never bothered.
I would certainly avoid taking laxatives, or fasting.
Do you normally have digestive problems?
#3 Old 09-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganacho View Post
Hi!
I am about to go home after vacationing with my boyfriend's family; they're not veggie whatsoever and at the restaurant choices, I was usually stuck with either fries or white rice and vegetables.

I did end up having lunch at Down to Earth in Oahu a lot, and am bringing food from there from the flight back.

Anyways, not to be crude but I was pooping three times a day at home, flat belly, and feeling great and now my stomach is a balloon, I haven't even pooped today and I feel like cr@p.

When I get home, any tips to expedite the process to get digestion on track?

My ideas so far:
-Laxatives
-Drink a lot of water
-Possibly fasting?

Those are my only ideas.
A cup of strong coffee works as a laxative.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

#4 Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 PM

swiss kriss tablets (senna) & banana smoothie
#5 Old 09-10-2016, 10:14 PM

My digestion has always been easily bothered. I usually cook with water and minimal oil and have many different food allergies (that I've known of since I was a baby) so all of the things i ate really seem to have caused a problem.

For example, I wasn't allowed to eat anything with corn as a child because of a corn allergy so I never was able to eat a lot of the processed snacks kids usually eat. I do occasionally eat fake meats, but prefer to stick with tofu seitan and tempeh.

As far as laxatives, I've had to use them periodically for constipation in the past. I can totally understand how it sounds extreme, but at one point my doctor advised extended use of MiraLax since the problem kept recurring.

I guess I'm kind of worried all of the junk has made my digestive system do what it used to do (not that long ago) and I'd prefer not to be corked up for weeks lol!!
#6 Old 09-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Just go back to the way you were eating before the trip and the processed junk food. There really isn't a magic solution. Laxatives will disrupt your electrolytes, and often have a rebound effect when you stop them (making the constipation even worse). Fasting will slow your metabolism and will do nothing to get things moving easier.

When I traveled to Texas (by plane from Minnesota), I brought along energy bars and ate fruit at the airport stands. I also researched ahead for grocery stores in the area I was traveling to, and bought simple items like oats, canned beans, salsa, produce for salads, tortillas (without fillers), pumpkin seeds, peanut butter, fresh and dried fruits that keep without refrigeration. I ate a lot of raw food as surprisingly it tends to keep without refrigeration. I had stayed in an old historic hotel that had a small cafe with a microwave, but did not have a refrigerator of my own. My partner's parents were staying in a trailer/camper nearby and his mother allowed me to keep some produce in her tiny refrigerator. So for breakfast at the hotel I would just add hot water to the oats for breakfast and have a mango with it. I would have peanut butter tortillas, and beans, rice and salad for dinner. It was a tiny town we stayed in, not known for any specialty foods, but I was able to find soy milk and simple stuff.

If you know ahead where you will be eating out, you can always call the restaurant and ask to talk to the cook/chef to see if there are vegan friendly items that can be thrown together. For example, beans or nuts/seeds in a simple salad with a vineigrette or olive oil instead of a salad with chicken and loaded with ceasar dressing. If they have hummus, see if that could be added to the rice and veggies. Once I had to attend an all day staff meeting at work that was held at a banquet center attached to a steak house. The food items being catered to us were not in the least vegan, so I did call ahead to inquire about vegan options for myself to be catered in. I didn't get a response (chef was busy and didn't get back to me in time), so I brought my own sandwich to the meeting. Well, I was surprised when they brought the food out and a waiter came over and asked if I was the person who inquired about the vegan options. He sat a beautiful vegan pasta/bean/veggie dish with tomato based sauce in front of me! It was custom made, not a menu item they have per say, but they do alter dishes for special diets and were quite familiar with vegan cooking. You never know. Can't hurt to call or even if you are already there, ask to talk to someone and see what you can get!
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 PM
99% Vegan

A good vegan refrigerated probiotics, that has at least 50 billion probiotics in it, helps. I do not know if any vegan probiotic contains corn or not.

I have had success after eating a can of great northern beans with Spinach. I also will also drink lots of water and eat prunes. I would avoid bananas. Normally, I will follow this with a good, well balanced meal, high in vegetables and leafy greens.

It is hard for me to really say for sure what I would do, as I do not know all the foods you react too, thus I am using my list instead, as its also a bit lengthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan

Tags
constipation , digestion , helpfultips , travel , tummy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page