• 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Tues
  • 2 Post By kyr656
  • 1 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By Ember Ruby

#1 Old 05-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Ethical Vegan in Training

Vegan with Braces

I hope this is the right forum to post this in. Anyway...

Salutations, everyone!

I'm getting braces in July and I want to be as prepared as possible. I already know about mashing up my food or cutting it into small pieces, but I would really appreciate any other tips you have and I'd also like to get various suggestions on which foods to eat.

Thank you!
Tues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tues View Post

Salutations, everyone!

I'm getting braces in July and I want to be as prepared as possible. I already know about mashing up my food or cutting it into small pieces, but I would really appreciate any other tips you have and I'd also like to get various suggestions on which foods to eat.

Thank you!
Tues

Hi Tues,

If you wanted to, you could make a list of the foods that you currently eat, and show them to your orthodontist. He/she will be able to tell you which of your foods could cause problems, and how those foods can be prepared so as to avoid those problems.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Salutations, everyone!

Thank you!
Tues
No chewing gum! 😃 I think braces look cute, good luck on it all!

#4 Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

No nuts!
Lots of hummus and all the bean dips
No raw veggies, really nothing that you need to break down by chewing.
Good time to experiment with smoothies and sorbets.
If you don't have a good blender this is a great time to ask for one
A water pick and electric toothbrush are great ideas, and get in the habit of rinsing well before and after brushing
#5 Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

A lot of my favorite foods are soft come to think of it lol. I love oatmeal, and mashed sweet potato with pineapple, and bananas. All kinds of beans would still be edible, and rice and spaghetti if chopped well. You could make carrot sauce (steam and mash carrots with plant milk and spices), or applesauce from fresh apples. Peaches, berries, grapes, melon are all easily edible.

I feel for you as I had braces for three years. But it is well worth it! Not only did they improve my bite and straighten my teeth, they made my jawline look so much better. I wore braces over thirty years ago so i don't remember how I coped with food. I think I had trouble with salads, apples, that sort of thing. I worked hard at keeping my teeth clean.

Best wishes!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

I'm looking into better blenders than the one we have, but recommendations would be nice. If you know of any really good ones under about $100 that would be appreciated since I'm going to be 25 in July which means insurance won't cover my braces and I'll have to worry about making payments on them. (I know I may seem a little old for braces, but I've always been insecure about my smile/teeth, so this is for me.)

I have an electric toothbrush, but I will look into a water pick as well.

Also, I was thinking about it (especially after Naturebound's post) and I think the majority of the foods I eat are already soft foods, but I love getting ideas for more.

If anyone has any other advice, like I said in my first post, I want to be as prepared as possible, so please share. Even if you think it's something that I'd easily know via common sense, it never hurts to reiterate things.
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#7 Old 05-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

I'm looking into better blenders than the one we have, but recommendations would be nice. If you know of any really good ones under about $100 that would be appreciated since I'm going to be 25 in July which means insurance won't cover my braces and I'll have to worry about making payments on them. (I know I may seem a little old for braces, but I've always been insecure about my smile/teeth, so this is for me.)

I have an electric toothbrush, but I will look into a water pick as well.

Also, I was thinking about it (especially after Naturebound's post) and I think the majority of the foods I eat are already soft foods, but I love getting ideas for more.

If anyone has any other advice, like I said in my first post, I want to be as prepared as possible, so please share. Even if you think it's something that I'd easily know via common sense, it never hurts to reiterate things.
I had braces for 5 years and ate normally. I just didn't chew gum.

You don't need everything soft, and you sure don't need a $500 blender to be veg. I use a kitchen knife 99% of the time, and a $20 stick immersion blender for smoothies. I used to have a Magic Bullet ($75ish?) that was very good, but it died after 5 years or so.
David3 likes this.
#8 Old 05-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I had braces for 5 years and ate normally. I just didn't chew gum.

You don't need everything soft, and you sure don't need a $500 blender to be veg. I use a kitchen knife 99% of the time, and a $20 stick immersion blender for smoothies. I used to have a Magic Bullet ($75ish?) that was very good, but it died after 5 years or so.
Good to know. We do have a blender and a mini Magic Bullet, but they only blend thawed items well. They can't handle partially frozen that well. I was thinking it'd be nice to try and make some nice cream for myself, but maybe I just need to blend everything first and then freeze it. I hope it would still taste right.

I know I will be able to eat solid foods, but I think in anticipation I'm sort of overestimating how much pain I will be in and that's why I'm acting more focused on softer foods.
#9 Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It's really not as it seems- I had them for over 2 years and was vegan the whole time. I also remember feeling nervous about getting them. Your teeth will likely be a little sore once you get them on as well as sometimes when you get the elastic ligatures/wires changed (about every month). Some changes are painless, some are bad. For the first few days after getting them on, you'll probably feel like you can't eat anything. Totally normal! The inside of your lips and mouth will also be a little sore. Your orthodontist should give you some wax (usually paraffin wax) to put on the brackets to help with that. Pasta, rice dishes, soups, salads, steamed veggies, fruits and anything that isn't too hard to chew will be fine for those days. You'll learn what you can and can't handle on those days.

It feels a little weird to bite into thick foods (think sandwiches and burgers) because the brackets get in the way, though, it's not impossible. You will re-learn how to eat those things. Whole apples, raw carrots, raw broccoli, and celery is not recommended because they're tough foods that can break off brackets and bend wires. Same with very crunchy foods, sticky foods, chewy foods, ice and popcorn. If you're very prone to cavities, you'll probably want to be careful with pop and sugary foods. Your orthodontist will go into the specifics and go over all of this when you get them.

I also used a waterpik - they're a little pricey but well worth it. The alternative is flossing and that takes FOREVER (you have to thread it under the wire for each tooth). I was always told to still floss a few times a week, even though I used waterpik regularly.

One last note: it seems obvious, but make sure you go to an orthodontist and not a regular dentist if you want it done right. Orthodontists do more schooling and are trained to align teeth, bites etc.
#10 Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely get a waterpik and make sure to brush very well. If you are lax on oral care with the braces on your white teeth will fade but the spot under the braces will stay bright white so they won't match when you get your braces off.

We have a ninja blender which works great, it was a Christmas present though so I'm not sure about the cost. My mom has a bullet which is also great.

When I first got braces, and each month when they were adjusted, I ate cold foods (like smoothies) for a day or two. Hot foods I found more painful.
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 05-22-2016, 05:03 PM

I have braces too. You can eat mostly normally as long as your braces haven't only just been tightened. After tightening, your teeth will be sore for about three days. Whilst they are sore, soup and smoothies are great. Sandwiches are okay, just be sure the bread and fillings are soft. And pasta is awesome too, just don't eat it raw (am I the only one who used to do that?). Salads, fine. Avoid croutons regardless of whether your braces have recently been tightened or not, unless the croutons been softened in some soup. Crackers are fine as long as they're more crispy and brittle, as opposed to solid and crunchy. Avoid excessively sticky food at all costs, like toffee and chew sweets. Opt for vegan marshmallows instead! They taste so good. Hot chocolate is a great way to satisfy cravings too.

Chocolate is fine, however it might be good idea to let it melt in your mouth first. Melted chocolate is actually really delicious. Be careful about chocolate with nuts in.

Unless my teeth are sore after tightening, I find softer nuts such as cashew (preferably halved, not whole), pecan, and pine are good. You might find pine nuts are so soft you can eat them regardless of tooth pain. Whole almonds, hazelnuts, and Brazil nuts are an absolute no, at any time.

I tend to eat things I probably shouldn't, lol. Such as popcorn and relatively crunchy bread crusts. I just eat things really carefully if I can do so comfortably. Have had braces for just over a year now, never had any problems. And I do sometimes eat raw brocolli as long as it has been cut very finely.

Good luck!
LedBoots likes this.

Tags
advice , braces , tips , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page