My boss doesn't know what milk is - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM

Question My boss doesn't know what milk is

So I have been a vegan for about a month. I cannot believe I've only recently realized the error of my previous ways, but I'm having a great time and I love the opportunity to talk about it with people who are curious about my new lifestyle. Anyway, I work at a restaurant and I was telling our bartender about how cows need to be pregnant to give milk, blah blah....and THEN, my boss proceeds to tell me that at home, she has a cow that gives milk frequently, in fact NEEDS to be milked to be healthy, but has never been pregnant. She told me that there are many breeds of cows, like Jersey cows, that are bred to give milk without calving, and that this is how we get milk from cows. I was DUMBFOUNDED. I was caught so off guard and was also not about to argue with my boss about something that she was obviously very sure of. I know this is not true. Can anyone help me out here? I just can't wrap my head around this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I am so uneducated about cows and milk. I stopped consuming dairy before I went Veg. It is pretty hard to stay away from dairy when you eat in restaurants. I wonder how much dairy I consume with out knowing it. I always ask if something has dairy in it and always say to leave out all dairy and do not order anything with dairy. Not sure how much we can trust a restaurant.
#3 Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irism View Post
So I have been a vegan for about a month. I cannot believe I've only recently realized the error of my previous ways, but I'm having a great time and I love the opportunity to talk about it with people who are curious about my new lifestyle. Anyway, I work at a restaurant and I was telling our bartender about how cows need to be pregnant to give milk, blah blah....and THEN, my boss proceeds to tell me that at home, she has a cow that gives milk frequently, in fact NEEDS to be milked to be healthy, but has never been pregnant. She told me that there are many breeds of cows, like Jersey cows, that are bred to give milk without calving, and that this is how we get milk from cows. I was DUMBFOUNDED. I was caught so off guard and was also not about to argue with my boss about something that she was obviously very sure of. I know this is not true. Can anyone help me out here? I just can't wrap my head around this!!!
TECHNICALLY this is possible, through continuous milking even after the cow has given birth, but it causes ENORMOUS stress on the cow. The article linked is from the NIH on this subject.

The milk production is at its highest immediately after giving birth, so the industry generally keeps its cows continuously pregnant and takes the calves away as soon as feasibly possible. Your boss milking their cow long after giving birth is ultimately stressing the cow out more than need be, and shortening her lifespan.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by irism View Post

This may be possible, but this isn't how the mainstream dairy industry operates. Lactation is maximized by periodically re-impregnating the cows. The dairy industry openly discusses this: https://www.midwestdairy.com/farm-li.../#produce-milk

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#5 Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a good discussion on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DebunkThis/..._get_pregnant/

I refrain from general discussions like that if not questioned. I find too many have opinions that factual information can't change.

Tags
butter , cheese , cows , dairy , milk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page