Good Protein vegan diet? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By SteveW

#1 Old 04-20-2016, 01:47 AM

Question Good Protein vegan diet?

How do i build muscle on vegan diet? Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2016, 01:58 AM
Beginner

Hard work, consistency and get enough calories.
#3 Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 AM

Thumbs up

You have to be aware of nutrient-rich vegan foods and make sure you get enough fat and protein. For building muscle, meat, eggs, milk, and whey are pretty much the most effective forms of protein. Unfortunately, you can't eat any of them :/

I recommend getting to know what vegan foods will give you enough nutrients and calories to grow. Avocadoes, split pea soup, nuts, lentils, rice and beans, spaghetti... all are things I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, you need to eat at a calorie surplus (about 500 calorie surplus a day as a start) and make sure that you are getting in enough proteins along with carbs and fat. You can get plenty of proteins from vegan foods such as tofu, soy beans, beans, rice, seeds, nuts, hemp protein powder, etc.
To learn more Protein Vegan Meal Plan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 04-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Building muscle on a vegan diet actually isn't very hard - just make sure you are eating lots of whole foods like starchy vegetables, fruit, beans, nuts, seeds, and grains. I started cycling seriously about 5 months ago while eating a vegan diet. I don't use any protein supplements or any sort of powder, and my quads have gotten bigger and stronger and my legs a lot more defined. Your body can build muscle on good clean food!

I will also mention that making sure you eat enough calories is very important, or you will feel exhausted all the time. Here is a typical day of training and eating for me:

Breakfast: 1 bottle of water while walking the dog + oatmeal with soy milk, chia, hemp, almonds, raisins and berries

Cycle 25 min into work

Snack: Green smoothie - kale, spinach, banana, berries, ginger

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner - roasted mini potatoes, steamed broccoli and white bean mash
(http://www.kitchentreaty.com/mashed-...lic-and-lemon/) - I half the oil in that recipe

Snack: Homemade blueberry muffin and banana

Snack 2: On days I am really hungry I will have a PB/J sandwich here - I can never get sick of these!

25 min cycle home from work

Eat something quick, like a couple dates and a banana or half a whole wheat bagel

1.5 hours of intervals or hill repeats + core and a little bit of leg exercises for injury prevention

Dinner: Lentil Pumpkin Seed Pie with Lemon Tahini Dressing, steamed greens, and steamed sweet potato
(http://www.veganrunners.org.uk/lenti...hini-dressing/)

Dessert or Before Bed Snack: Peppermint tea with melon or if no fruit, then maybe some crackers with jam

Listen to your body and eat when you are hungry, just make sure you are putting quality food in.

Hope that helps!
#5 Old 04-20-2016, 04:42 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehall View Post
How do i build muscle on vegan diet? Any recommendations?
As much as I hate invoking his fat-shaming name in any public space, Vegan Gains has some info on his site, including workouts. Becoming Vegan has some good info for weight gain/muscle growth as well. Make sure that you're eating plenty of whole foods and varying your workout routine every couple of months.

Nuts, seeds, tofu, quinoa, whole grains of all sorts, beans, and soy milk are going to be your best friends for protein, but don't neglect complex carbs for replenishing your glycogen stores. Just about any "body building" routine will work on a vegan diet, so long as you're meeting your body's energy needs, which isn't hard to do.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consistency View Post
Organic hemp hearts may change your life and spike your hormone levels.

Could you post a link to research regarding this?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#7 Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Could you post a link to research regarding this?
Went looking through JStor and Google Scholar and couldn't find anything. The closest I got was a bunch of "because of the glycemic index..." blah, blah, blah, tabloids-stretching-research-beyond-it's-practical-application garbage.

I looked because I was curious. :P

#8 Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
There is quite a bit of arginine in hemp hearts in which we convert into nitric oxide. Plenty of healthy fats to produce hormones.

I shortened the web links below since I can't post links yet as my post count is low. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arginine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_functions_of_nitric_oxide
nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=286
google.ca/search?q=nitric+oxide+growth+hormone
google.ca/search?q=nitric+oxide+testosterone

Protein digestibility
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20977230

Protein types in hemp seeds
ergogenicsnutrition.com/blog/hemp-can-repair-dna/

I've noticed from consuming a lot of hemp hearts that they aren't all created equal though in terms of quality and taste. White colored hemp hearts taste fresh while yellow colored taste stale. I prefer organic since they don't contain excess amounts of shells and aren't contaminated with dirt or black bindweed seeds. I usually consume more than 100 grams of hemp hearts daily as my main staple. I truly appreciate the affect they produce on my body.
Argenine is found in all manner of nuts and seeds, hemp hearts aren't really that unique. It is needed for testosterone production, but an excess of the nutrient doesn't guarantee an excess of production. Our bodies make what they need.

OP, just make sure you eat plenty of nuts and seeds to get the fats and proteins you need to produce enough testosterone to build muscle.

#9 Old 04-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
Argenine is found in all manner of nuts and seeds, hemp hearts aren't really that unique. .
Here is an (exhaustive) list of nut and seed products with arginine: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrien...29&measureby=m .

Interestingly, hemp seeds do appear to be among the top nut/seed sources (grams of arginine per gram of food). Other excellent contenders are pumpkin seeds and black walnuts.

Note: Check the total nutrient content of any food (especially saturated fat content) before incorporating it into your diet.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

Last edited by David3; 04-21-2016 at 08:21 PM.
#10 Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
There is quite a bit of arginine in hemp hearts in which we convert into nitric oxide. Plenty of healthy fats to produce hormones.

There is a 2005 peer-reviewed study which found that orally-administered arginine resulted in significant growth hormone response: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15809017 . However, a relatively large amount of arginine was required to cause this response.

The study found that oral administration of 5 grams or 9 grams of arginine produced an increase in growth hormone (GH). Oral administration of 13 grams of arginine caused gastrointestinal distress, and did not increase GH. In order to obtain 5 grams of arginine, it would be necessary to consume about 120 grams of pre-hulled hemp seeds, which is 680 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TE1MjM1NQ.html . @Consistency , your daily intake of 100 grams of hemp seeds, by itself, does not appear to be enough to supply the amount of arginine (5 grams) which has been shown to raise growth hormone levels. Your remaining foods could possibly supply the remainder, of course.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-21-2016 at 08:42 PM.
#11 Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Amino acids compete for absorption in the intestine therefore a food with a higher proportion of certain amino acids will guarantee higher absorption of those amino acids.

Walnuts also contain a higher proportion of arginine however quality non-rancid walnuts aren't available year around and this is why I consume hemp hearts as my staple. Sometimes close to 300 grams if my muscles are sore with quite a bit of tender leafy greens.

Regardless of diet. Anyone feel like something is missing?
#12 Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hemp "hearts" (also known as hemp seeds) are a healthy food. They are sold by a variety of companies, such as:

Bob's Red Mill: http://www.bobsredmill.com/hulled-hemp-seed.html

Nutiva: https://store.nutiva.com/hempseed/

Just Hemp Foods: http://justhempfoods.com/products/hu...seed/original/

Navita's Naturals: http://navitasnaturals.com/product/454/Hemp-Seeds.html

_________

Tags
bodybuilding , protein , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page