How many calories? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM
artisan vegan princess

Wink How many calories?

Hi everyone!

So lately I've been watching countless YouTubers who claim to eat over 3000 to 5000 or more calories a day. I grew up believing that major calorie intake caused weight gain. Right now my mind is all scattered and confused. Should I be eating more? I've been vegan for 7 months now, but I've probably been eating around the 1300-2000 calorie range. I also saw a couple people do a 10,000 calorie challenge and was completely astonished that these individuals could actually consume that much food!

Anyways, if anyone has advice or information about calories please comment/reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Longtime vegetarian

How many calories a person needs each day depends on a variety of factors, including things like: whether they're trying to maintain or lose or gain weight, how active they are, how old they are, any medical conditions they may have, and so on.

One thing for sure is that an average person, of average weight and average activity levels would GAIN weight eating 5,000 or 10,000 calories per day! The only way anyone can consume that many calories and NOT gain unwanted weight is if they're extraordinarily active, such as people who do triathlons.

In general, a diet of approximately 2,000 calories per day is considered "normal" for most adults. But, again, that varies depending on a number of factors as outlined above. Are you happy with your current weight? If so, you can probably stick to your current caloric intake and be just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Veggie Recycler

I'm guessing these people are hard core athletes. For example a friend of mine who was male, 6 feet tall, had a naturally fast metabolism, who could easily run 10 miles and liked to play tennis told me he could eat 3000 calories a day or more and remain slim. In fact very slim.

Triathletes and pros are probably the ones doing closer to 5000.

10000 sounds unhealthy and absurd.

If you are average height/weight and aren't seriously athletic I doubt you need that many calories even if you walk, swim, or do some kind of daily exercise.

#4 Old 03-19-2016, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest not focusing on calories at all. I didn't ever think about how many calories I was consuming until I was in my mid thirties. I just ate naturally until I was full or satisfied. I was never overweight, not even remotely close. I was active but not extremely so, though in my teen years I was VERY active with ballet/modern dance training 22 hours per week. I probably ate more then but didn't obsess about it. I started counting calories and "dieting" when I was in my mid thirties, and it led to a long hard struggle with anorexia and eventually bulimia. $10,000 of debt from treatments uncovered by health insurance, health problems I can not undo (I have a terrible bone density for example), a shot metabolism. It's just not worth it to live your life obsessing about food and dieting and calories. Just eat a variety of healthy plant foods and enjoy an occasional treat or dessert and call it a day. Your mind, body and spirit will thank you down the road.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-19-2016, 03:26 AM
Beginner

The people who eat around 5000 calories day will be extremely active.

You've probably seen Freelee's videos, she does a lot of cycling so she needs that amount of calories to fuel it.

I play soccer/football 3 times a week and go to the gym 4/5 times and I eat 3000 calories a day, I still struggle to gain weight.

It's all about listening to the body, if you're sedentary you can get by on sub 2000 calories.
#6 Old 03-19-2016, 04:35 AM

What is your BMR?

Tags
10000 calories , calories , diet , freelee , how many

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page