VeggieBoards banner

Does it annoy you when?

3K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  lockie 
#1 ·
Does it annoy anyone else when people say they care about the environment/animals but they are not vegan?? For example, I see this girl on Instagram that calls herself a "crazy animal lover", silly me thinks she must be vegan, I scroll through a couple of photos and guess what I find? Meat, meat and more meat. Another example, people that claim to care about the environment because they recycle and take a 10 second shower or whatever but they eat meat. Like no you do NOT care!! And of course, you can't just suggest going vegan without being accused of an extreme vegan Nazi. Argghhhh it just makes me so angry, I feel like my head will explode! Maybe I should just learn to calm down :D

#3 ·
Meat-eating environmentalists exist. Some track their meat so it's local and organic. Some are breeders or hunters. And most of them drastically reduce their meat consumption. When I go out I meet many of those environmentalist omnis, while I "know" only one vegan person (might be some hidden ones). I also meet several vegetarians, who eat cheese and eggs.
Still, those people make a difference. They don't do fast food, processed meats or long travelling ones. And they reduce their intake. So, it is worth not much for animal condition but for environment, they do what they can. Or what they think they can. Not everybody wants to go vegan. Not everybody can, and not everybody is conscious that they can.
The person with the least impact on the environement is the one that was never born. So we make choices, we choose to do what sounds the most possible and least annoying : I chose to get rid of the car but I still eat dairy. And I chose to show my happiness when people tell me they eat less meat than before because they grew concerned.

#10 ·
Uh, no. These kinds of arguments are about as intelligent as saying you're killing vegetables too, to a vegetarian.

Environmentalists should not eat meat, or eat it VERY sparingly, like in the examples one person gave about people who actually live off the land.

From a scientific perspective, heavy meat eaters and even light meat eaters have a bigger foot print than vegetarians. Period. It's not up for debate.

#6 ·
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-greenhouse-hamburger/
"Most of us are aware that our cars, our coal-generated electric power and even our cement factories adversely affect the environment. Until recently, however, the foods we eat had gotten a pass in the discussion. Yet according to a 2006 report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), our diets and, specifically, the meat in them cause more greenhouse gases carbon dioxide (CO2), methane, nitrous oxide, and the like to spew into the atmosphere than either transportation or industry."

#13 ·
It is frustrating when a person is well-informed. But many are not. Many people do not know of the environmental impact of animal agriculture. They may still buy into nutritional myths that make them think they need meat to be healthy. Never underestimate the ability of the human mind to create justifications to maintain the status quo and outdated ways of thinking.

#14 ·

This is a very simple graphic that is easy to understand, but this information can be gleaned from everyone from the United Nations to Pope Francis Laudato Si. There's absolutely no reason anyone should be arguing about the environmental impact of meat in March 2016, unless they are a conspiracy theorist who believes that the UN, scientists, environmentalists, and/or Catholics are a part of the Illuminati.

#17 ·
Easy !

First step : being specist, let's start with "no hair no cute"

Second step : hiding the slaughterhouses

Third step : brainwashing throught "health" advices and advertisement

Fourth step :
brainwashing through your brainwashed parents "that be good for you" and your brainwashed friends "come with us get a kebab after the cine !"

LAST STEP :
coming home and cuddling with your extra cute pet !

#20 ·
I have believed that someone could be an environmentalist and still eat meat (provided the animal flesh was locally-sourced, the animals were either hunted or raised on pasture and not on cultivated crops grown for them to eat). Maybe this was because most environmentalists I met were not vegetarian, let alone vegan.

But caring about animals and still eating meat... I don't see how that works. I've known a number of animals of different species rather well: cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbils, eastern gray squirrels, and one Syrian hamster. Some of them would be commonly thought of as "pets", others as "food", and others... well, I'd have to say they wouldn't be thought of much at all- just not on most people's radar of concerns. I realize that some animals are easier to bond with than others, but I really can't justify the wildly different standards of treatment for "pets" on the one hand and pretty much everybody else on the other.

I even want to see good, nutritious foods developed for carnivorous animal companions which do not depend on the deaths of other animals.

#21 ·
"The heavy impact on the environment of meat production was known but the research shows a new scale and scope of damage, particularly for beef. The popular red meat requires 28 times more land to produce than pork or chicken, 11 times more water and results in five times more climate-warming emissions. When compared to staples like potatoes, wheat, and rice, the impact of beef per calorie is even more extreme, requiring 160 times more land and producing 11 times more greenhouse gases.

Agriculture is a significant driver of global warming and causes 15% of all emissions, half of which are from livestock. Furthermore, the huge amounts of grain and water needed to raise cattle is a concern to experts worried about feeding an extra 2 billion people by 2050."
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...p-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars

#22 ·
What bothers me the most is the hypocrisy involved in people claiming they love animals, yet they're not veg*n. I'm referring to people who have pets, and love them, and take great care of them, and pamper them and treat them like family members. Also people who admire "cute" animals, like lions and giraffes and so on. Yet they're perfectly fine with abusing and inhumanely killing OTHER animals. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

And do note that *I* considered myself a hypocrite, so it's not just a term I throw around at other people. The day I realized how hypocritical I was for claiming to love animals, yet participating in the cruelty of the meat industry, was the day I stopped eating meat. In 1988! :D

#25 ·
Most people are hypocrites without realising, I called myself an animal lover whilst eating because meat until I made the connection.

All we can do as vegans is point it out to people who claim to be animals lovers but haven't made the connection.
SteveW is correct.

I became veg*n because my daughter got a dog. He's the best dog ever. I realized that all animals have feelings, a soul, etc. That was it.

We take long walks, and I bounce my ideas off on him.

He provides good feedback.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers Ear

#24 ·
About Rachel Carson and environmentalism: It totally matters that she lived only until 1964. One thing Michael Pollan has right is that animal agriculture has changed more during the past 50 years than it had in the previous 10,000. I don't know how typical my family was, but I remember in the 1950s and 60s, with usually 6 or 7 of us around the table, my mother would broil one large piece of steak and cut it up into 6 or seven portions. She and my father had portions that would be considered quite small fifty years later, and we kids got very little. And steak was so tough back then that each piece took forever to chew: they weren't being fattened up for months at the feedlots yet, and there weren't as many cattle being raised. And chicken was a luxury, not a fast-food snack. It was much more expensive back then because the mechanical processes for deboning, defeathering and otherwise disassembling had yet to be developed. Chicks also took two or three times longer to grow to market weight than they do now, as the Cornish cross "frankenbird" strain didn't yet exist in the state they would later. The hazard to the environment from eating meat -- especially at the levels people ate meat then -- just wasn't the issue factory farms would make it later.

#27 ·
Does it annoy anyone else when people say they care about the environment/animals but they are not vegan?? For example, I see this girl on Instagram that calls herself a "crazy animal lover", silly me thinks she must be vegan, I scroll through a couple of photos and guess what I find? Meat, meat and more meat.
I have a classmate and she claims to be so in love with animals and everyone knows she loves animals so much, just because she gets all "awww" when she sees a big dog (for some reason, they don't see me in the same category, even if i truly care about animals, cause I don't make all sorts of sounds when I talk about animals).
So one time our group was eating at a small vegan restaurant (well, it's falafel themed, but they don't use animals products) and she was telling another classmate that if you really love something, you watch videos on Youtube about that and cry (she was talking about animals). So I gathered all my strength to control myself and not call her a freaking hypocrite, cause she's such a big meat eater, she really doesn't give a **** about animals. However, she only likes big dogs (not the small ones, she calls them rats). So where's the big animal lover in that?
Yes, it is annoying and it is frustrating and I try not to say something because I know it's useless. People call themselves animal lovers just because they find a small part of animals cute.

#30 ·
Today I got **** from "friends" because I said "go watch ONE documentary covering the meat industry and then come back to tell me how much you love animals if you keep eating meat".

Am I wrong? How can one watch all that mass murder and abuse and still eat the result of so much pain? It's frustrating!

#33 ·
Today I got **** from "friends" because I said "go watch ONE documentary covering the meat industry and then come back to tell me how much you love animals if you keep eating meat".

Am I wrong? How can one watch all that mass murder and abuse and still eat the result of so much pain? It's frustrating!
Everything is fine when you think buffalo wings grow on trees. Or a pork chop is made in a factory. When you finally make the connection that the meat is an animal.....hello! Would you eat your dog? Of course not! But I guess "other animals" are OK to eat. NOT.

I've seen the animal slaughter videos.....imagine actually being there! :eek:

#31 ·
Really true!! This mostly comes down to ones definition of 'animal lover'. If you feel that to 'love animals' is to believe all animal life is sacred and relatively equal, no animal should be killed by an animal that can make a decision to not do so, and it is barbaric to eat another animal if you can make a decision to not... It is hypocritical to eat meat. But some people don't feel this way. AT ALL!!!

#35 ·
Oh em gee! It annoys me so much! I work in the animal field and the majority of the people I've worked with eat meat and support products that support animal cruelty. I dont understand how you can "love" animals but limit it just to your dog or your cat.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.