What Did You Cook Lately? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

#1 Old 01-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

What Did You Cook Lately?

I thought a thread with links to recipes that we've tried and liked might be nice.

It's not quite New Year anymore but today I cooked Black-eyed beans from this recipe at Fat Free Kitchen:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/01...eyed-peas.html

Mine was more soupy than the one pictured so I added shredded greens to it. Gonna have it later with some brown rice.

I also recently made a split-pea version of these Butternut and Lentil Patties which were really good served over a bed of shredded salad greens. They're more like veggie cutlets than burgers suitable for putting in a bun:

https://veghotpot.wordpress.com/2013...d-gluten-free/

Did you cook up some vegan goodness recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Wow I want one of those burgers!!
#3 Old 01-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I baked two loaves of cinnamon-cardamom swirl bread and strawberry-banana smear.
Spudulika likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

#4 Old 01-24-2016, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I just made refried beans using pinto beans using a mash-up of a these two recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ied-beans.html

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-...refried-beans/

I put all the ingredients except oil into the slow cooker and cooked them for a few hours. Then I drained out the cooking liquid and reserved it. Heated the oil in a big pan and fried the beans up a bit before adding back in a cup of the cooking liquid and mashing with a potato masher.

They've turned out fabulous and we'll be having them later with fajitas. I will use a milder tasting oil next time as I only had EVOO in the house and it's imparted its distinctive flavour to the beans which probably isn't very appropriate in a Tex Mex context.

Next time I may try reserving the spices and onion and frying them up before adding in the cooked beans.

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-24-2016 at 02:43 AM.
#5 Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I baked two loaves of cinnamon-cardamom swirl bread and strawberry-banana smear.
Recipe please!!!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Recipe please!!!
For which one, the bread or the smear? I got the bread recipe here, and the strawberry banana smear came from pureeing a banana in some frozen strawberries.
Spudulika likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
For which one, the bread or the smear? I got the bread recipe here, and the strawberry banana smear came from pureeing a banana in some frozen strawberries.
Thanks! I had meant the bread recipe. Definitely going to try that one soon! Pretty sure the crew in my department at work will love it!
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Eggplants have been very good here!
After my -meh- curry, I got another one and made it with carrots, mushrooms, onions, peppers
in a miso broth with lots of ginger, garlic some rice vinegar and a spoon of brown sugar
That was delicious!
Then I made rice with coconut oil and it was very, very good with that!
One cup rice (I used jasmine)
simmered in 1 3/4 cup water with
2 teaspoons coconut oil
Simmered about 10-12 minutes covered
Spudulika likes this.
#9 Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

carrot hummus (chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, steamed carrots, ginger, garlic, cumin, allspice, s/p).

After I blended it to a creamy hummus, I added it to a batch of cooked millet and threw in some steamed asparagus (cut into 1/3s). 2 hours later and I am still in a state of post hummus bliss. (oh my that is way too close to "posthumous" lol).

#10 Old 01-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday, I made a lentil ratatouille which turned out really tasty.

Ingredients list (in the order used - I sauteed the onions thoroughly, then added the garlic for about half a minute, before adding the liquids and other ingredients):

onion
garlic cloves
water, with a corresponding amount of veggie bouillon
canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
brown lentils
carrots
potatoes
eggplant
basil
parsley
oregano
bay leaves
nutritional yeast
red wine
#11 Old 01-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I made this, and for a change, I followed the recipe exactly: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...-with-spinach/

It was very, very nice, and my sister loved it also. I think the next time I might omit the cayenne though, since the underlying flavor is so nice. I can see all kinds of applications for the sauce, which is rich and creamy - using it for a cheesy sauce over broccoli, in lasagna, perhaps even on pizza....

I think Naturebound makes something very like this with sweet potatoes, if I remember correctly.

I also made this, which was O.K., but not as good as the sweet potato mac and cheese: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...paprika-glaze/
#12 Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Last night I had to use up some green pepper so I made spaghetti with fried peppers and mushrooms, it turned out really good! It's kind of a Vegan Stoner recipe, just fry up some chopped mushrooms and peppers with vegan butter, add to cooked pasta and canned tomato sauce with whatever spices you desire and boom! Dinner in 15 minutes.
LedBoots and Spudulika like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Tonight I made this, and for a change, I followed the recipe exactly: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...-with-spinach/

It was very, very nice, and my sister loved it also. I think the next time I might omit the cayenne though, since the underlying flavor is so nice. I can see all kinds of applications for the sauce, which is rich and creamy - using it for a cheesy sauce over broccoli, in lasagna, perhaps even on pizza....
Looks good, I must get some nutritional yeast in!
LedBoots likes this.
#14 Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Last night I had to use up some green pepper so I made spaghetti with fried peppers and mushrooms, it turned out really good! It's kind of a Vegan Stoner recipe, just fry up some chopped mushrooms and peppers with vegan butter, add to cooked pasta and canned tomato sauce with whatever spices you desire and boom! Dinner in 15 minutes.
I love pepper and mushroom in red sauce. I use onion and/or garlic too, lots if I can sneak it by the other 2 vegans here who aren't fans.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#15 Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

In my search for an alternative filling to cheese in my toasted cheese sandwiches I came up with the idea of using slices of potato alongside the tomatoes and onions.

Then I discovered this: Aloo Sandwich
Turns out that toasted potato sandwiches are a popular Indian street food.

Anyway I roughly followed this one without the curd ketchup stuff and it worked for me. For ease and speed I steamed the potato in the microwave before slicing:

Grilled Tomato, Onion & Potato Sandwich

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-28-2016 at 01:11 AM.
#16 Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
In my search for an alternative filling to cheese in my toasted cheese sandwiches I came up with the idea of using slices of potato alongside the tomatoes and onions.

Then I discovered this: Aloo Sandwich
Turns out that toasted potato sandwiches are a popular Indian street food.

Anyway I roughly followed this one without the curd ketchup stuff and it worked for me. For ease and speed I steamed the potato in the microwave before slicing:

Grilled Tomato, Onion & Potato Sandwich

Wow, that looks so delicious!
Fr Ted Crilly likes this.

#17 Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Wow, that looks so delicious!
Yep, it was pretty good! Potato isn't exactly cheese but it does make a good satisfying filler. I'm going to steam some potatoes to keep in the fridge for when I fancy a toasty in the evening - or it might even become my go-to breakfast. I think I'll spread a little Dijon mustard on the toast next time to make up for that cheesy tang.
LedBoots likes this.
#18 Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

I used to hate cauliflower before I was vegan and didn't pay it much attention after going vegan but recently tried cauliflower wings. I loved them so much I've made em 3 times his week ... Simple to make and I swear I'm addicted to a vegetable I used to hate. I want to try and make it with barbecue sause next time.
#19 Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

This chocolate pudding recipe is wonderful: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-chocolate-pudding/

I use a little bit less cocoa powder and less sugar, and stir in a whole bunch of semi sweet chocolate chips right at the end. Plus, I add in amaretto as I remove it from the heat. It's really rich and lovely.
#20 Old 01-31-2016, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this today: Fajita Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Tastes pretty good (raw anyway). I won't need to bother with the ready mixed blends anymore. I don't bother with meat subs when making fajitas, just thickly sliced peppers and onions. Sometimes mushrooms too. Then I make a quick tomato salsa with tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and finely chopped onions. We have some refried beans on the table as well as some shredded iceburg lettuce.

LedBoots, Beautiful Joe and Oooo like this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-31-2016 at 06:33 AM.
#21 Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This chocolate pudding recipe is wonderful: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-chocolate-pudding/

I use a little bit less cocoa powder and less sugar, and stir in a whole bunch of semi sweet chocolate chips right at the end. Plus, I add in amaretto as I remove it from the heat. It's really rich and lovely.
I make a pudding just like that. So simple and easy and yet it tastes fab!
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#22 Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That also has a link to vanilla pudding which is the recipe I started with. It gives the very helpful advice of not messing with the pudding before it sets! DON"T TOUCH- it won't thicken!

You can use instant pudding mixes if you heat the soymilk and wisk it in. I don't know if you can use almond, but I have a soy milk machine and sometime use instant before it cools. I use 1/2 cup less milk than the box calls for
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#23 Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I made a Tuscan White Bean Stew today from a bag of pre-cooked cannellini beans that have been in my fridge for a couple of days now. This recipe almost exactly matches what I cobbled together (just without the chicken broth or parmesan): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...up-recipe.html

LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
#24 Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I got organic chili beans from Aldi and had leftover corn tortillas, peppers, and onion.
I opened a big can of chopped organic tomatoes (also Aldi) sauteed the peppers and onions, and just did layers of tomatoes and some ketchup with chopped canned jalepanos, tortillas, veggies and two cans of beans-etc, till the 9x13 casserole was full. Covered with foil and baked for 30 minutes then topped with a half bag of moz Daiya and baked for 15 minutes more
I used ketchup just to thicken the tomato juices. Really really good and quicker than the enchiladas I usually make.
Spudulika likes this.
#25 Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I got organic chili beans from Aldi and had leftover corn tortillas, peppers, and onion.
I opened a big can of chopped organic tomatoes (also Aldi) sauteed the peppers and onions, and just did layers of tomatoes and some ketchup with chopped canned jalepanos, tortillas, veggies and two cans of beans-etc, till the 9x13 casserole was full. Covered with foil and baked for 30 minutes then topped with a half bag of moz Daiya and baked for 15 minutes more
I used ketchup just to thicken the tomato juices. Really really good and quicker than the enchiladas I usually make.
I've seen that kind of layered dish called a 'Mexican Lasagne' I wonder if it would be something I could cook and then slice up once cold to take into work? I get so bored of sandwiches and salads!
LedBoots likes this.
#26 Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I've seen that kind of layered dish called a 'Mexican Lasagne' I wonder if it would be something I could cook and then slice up once cold to take into work? I get so bored of sandwiches and salads!
You mean eat cold?
#27 Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You mean eat cold?
Probably not, we have a microwave which is handy
#28 Old 01-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Last night my mom and I made a pizza! We topped it with pineapple and olives. The flavors together were amazing! Very easy to make if you have a craving for something not super healthy.
#29 Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganjordan View Post
Last night my mom and I made a pizza! We topped it with pineapple and olives. The flavors together were amazing! Very easy to make if you have a craving for something not super healthy.
I've never tried olives and pineapple together. But it sounds good!
I love that kind of salt / sweet combination.
#30 Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this recipe, for which Carolt originally provided a link: http://thevedge.org/tofu-popcorn-chi...n-gluten-free/

It has a really nice flavor. My sister loved it, I loved it, and the tofu-lovin' macaw loved it!
Naturebound and Spudulika like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page