What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

#151 Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Emma JC

Creamy Lentil Vegetable Soup

I posted that I ate this in the What did you eat vegan today? forum and thought I would post my actual recipe here and why I made it. Sorry, I can't post the photos, I am too new.

Due to an "ouch, I bit my tongue and it's bleeding" incident in our household, I wanted to come up with a soup that didn't need to be chewed and yet supplied lots of great nutrients and was filling.

We were thrilled with how this creamy soup turned out and the addition of some oil free hummus to the side of the bowl was amazing. Grab a little hummus on the spoon and then soup.... the combo was amazingly tasty. I drizzled tahini on the top of mine also and had a side of simple pita bread. The chunks of potato that had been put aside, then added back in, were a nice extra so that it wasn't just all creamy.
INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 large pot of water
  • 1.5 cups brown, green or black lentils (if using canned then skip the first 20 minutes of cooking)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 parsnip and or turnip, chopped
  • 2 large white potatoes, chopped
  • 1 large sweet potatoes, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery and leaves, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper any colour, chopped
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 can chopped or pureed tomatoes
  • hummus or tahini as a topping (optional)
  • salt to taste
  • cilantro, parsley or any chopped greens as a topping (optional)
ASSEMBLY

• Wash lentils and add to half pot of boiling water, bring back to a boil then turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes
  • Add the onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips and continue to simmer for 10 minutes then add the remainder of the vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes until soft.
  • Add the can of tomatoes and the spices and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • Remove 6 or 8 pieces of white potato and set aside and then use the hand blender to cream the mixture in the pot.
  • Add cooked potato pieces to individual bowls when serving and top each bowl with a tablespoon of oilfree hummus or tahini or both.
  • Add salt to taste. If you have some cilantro or parsley handy it would be nice to top it with also.
Optional - any other great veggies you have in your fridge and any spices that are your favourite. Tonight we are having it again with steamed chopped cabbage to be added in.

ENJOY! Emma JC
Spudulika and SJaynee like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma JC View Post
I posted that I ate this in the What did you eat vegan today? forum and thought I would post my actual recipe here and why I made it. Sorry, I can't post the photos, I am too new.

Due to an "ouch, I bit my tongue and it's bleeding" incident in our household, I wanted to come up with a soup that didn't need to be chewed and yet supplied lots of great nutrients and was filling.

We were thrilled with how this creamy soup turned out and the addition of some oil free hummus to the side of the bowl was amazing. Grab a little hummus on the spoon and then soup.... the combo was amazingly tasty. I drizzled tahini on the top of mine also and had a side of simple pita bread. The chunks of potato that had been put aside, then added back in, were a nice extra so that it wasn't just all creamy.
INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 large pot of water
  • 1.5 cups brown, green or black lentils (if using canned then skip the first 20 minutes of cooking)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 parsnip and or turnip, chopped
  • 2 large white potatoes, chopped
  • 1 large sweet potatoes, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery and leaves, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper any colour, chopped
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 can chopped or pureed tomatoes
  • hummus or tahini as a topping (optional)
  • salt to taste
  • cilantro, parsley or any chopped greens as a topping (optional)
ASSEMBLY

• Wash lentils and add to half pot of boiling water, bring back to a boil then turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes
  • Add the onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips and continue to simmer for 10 minutes then add the remainder of the vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes until soft.
  • Add the can of tomatoes and the spices and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • Remove 6 or 8 pieces of white potato and set aside and then use the hand blender to cream the mixture in the pot.
  • Add cooked potato pieces to individual bowls when serving and top each bowl with a tablespoon of oilfree hummus or tahini or both.
  • Add salt to taste. If you have some cilantro or parsley handy it would be nice to top it with also.
Optional - any other great veggies you have in your fridge and any spices that are your favourite. Tonight we are having it again with steamed chopped cabbage to be added in.

ENJOY! Emma JC
This looks great!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#153 Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ENJOY! Emma JC
Really nice idea to use hummus, pita and tahini for a middle eastern touch.
PS checked your blog: banana milk! How brilliant
Emma JC likes this.

#154 Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Emma JC

Banana milk... so simple isn't it and I would never have thought of it myself as I have always despised banana flavoured foods, other than bananas themselves, in the past.

There are lots of recipes online for banana milk and they all seem to add something, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and I am sure they are okay. Bananas + water = banana milk, for your hot or cold cereal, so simple and so delicious.

Emma JC
ps ty for checking out my site
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#155 Old 06-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I got a good bit of cooking in, it was too hot for me to spend much of the day outside as I burn easily - I did yoga at around 6:30am (I'm an early bird) and we went walking in the woods at about 10am. Then I sat and read for a couple of hours in the garden before scuttling off to kitchen sanctuary.

First I made some more tofu and sesame patties (still haven't got this one down quite to my liking, next time!) with brown rice and stir fried vegetables for our lunch. Then I made some chilled carob and banana pots with a last lonely sad looking banana in the bowl, which would otherwise have been destined for the compost (I'm not a fan of very soft bananas except in puddings).

Here's the recipe for those:

Ingredients
1 pint / 568ml non-dairy milk
1/3 US Cup cornflour
1 tbsp carob flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1 ripe banana
2 tbsp flaked almonds (or chopped mixed nuts)
Method
Slice the banana and place into the bottom of four dishes.
Measure out your pint of milk in a heatproof jug then pour most of the milk into a saucepan, leaving a small amount left in the jug.
Start to heat the milk in the saucepan, keep an eye on it.
Add the carob and cornflour to the remaining milk in the jug, and mix well to form a thin paste.
Once the milk is nearly boiling, pour back into the jug, whisking well to blend.
Mix in the maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
Pour the milk and carob mixture back into the saucepan and heat again, stirring continuously until it thickens and becomes glossy.
Pour the mixture over the bananas in the dishes then sprinkle over the chopped nuts.
Chill until cold and set.

Then we played computer games and I did some tidying up and then more reading.
Then I baked some soda bread, the American-Irish kind with fruit and caraway seeds.

Here's the recipe for that:

Ingredients
1+1/2 US cups soya milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 US cups plain wholemeal flour
1/2 US cup raw cane dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp hard vegetable fat
1+1/2 tbsp caraway seeds
1+1/2 US cup dried fruit (eg: currants or raisins)
Method
Grease a baking sheet and pre-heat oven to 180C.
Place soya milk in a jug. Add lemon juice and leave to curdle.
In a large bowl, sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together. Toss in the bran.
Add the brown sugar and rub in the vegetable fat.
Stir in caraway seeds and dried fruit.
Make a well in the centre of the flour.
Fold liquid into flour with a spatula, and gently form into a soft dough. It may be sticky so douse the surface of the dough with a bit of extra flour in order to handle it if needed.
Place on greased baking sheet and gently shape into a round, 2" thick.
Cut a cross into the dough.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve still warm or cold, sliced with vegetable spread and jam if liked.
Ferncat and Emma JC like this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-19-2017 at 05:22 AM.
#156 Old 06-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Emma JC

I am not fond of very ripe bananas either and so when they are getting to the point I don't like to eat them I chop them into 4 or 5 pieces, freeze them, and then use them for ice (no)cream.

Into the food processor go the frozen bananas, frozen berries, some cocoa powder, peanut butter or peanut butter powder or both, 1/8-1/4 teaspoon vanilla and a bit of salt to bring out the flavours.

That's how I like it - you can add or subtract any ingredients, of course.

Emma JC
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#157 Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this Celery, Basmati and Lemon Soup for lunch today, really quite nice, Summery and refreshing:

Recipe here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/
Emma JC likes this.
#158 Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Today for supper I made us some nut cutlets, they were really quite nice. You could probably bake this if you wanted to instead of pan frying. I've been using brown rice flour recently for coating home made burgery things, I like it as it's lighter and finer than wholemeal.

Recipe is here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/

Emma JC likes this.
#159 Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are the last two things I cooked (I've been busy this past few days):

Simple 'brown stew' with lentils and potatoes. Recipe here:

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/

Followed by creamy brown rice pudding. Recipe here:

Emma JC and SJaynee like this.
#160 Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Really nice idea to use hummus, pita and tahini for a middle eastern touch.
PS checked your blog: banana milk! How brilliant
Say what?! Off to check out this thing called banana milk
Save

~*Sara*~
Experimenting with a whole foods, plant base diet, (with a few Oreos and chili cheese Fritos thrown in here and there
).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
#161 Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Emma JC

oh, Spud - that brown stew looks awesome

I do something similar except with beans (I can't believe I don't have that recipe on my site, lol).

When I make a batch of beans in the crock pot (usually navy beans, great northern and pinto beans) I put in extra water so that there is lots of leftover bean broth and then I just start throwing in everything tasty that I have around including garlic, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli stalks, parsnips and turnips and then also add a tablespoon or so of miso, fresh ginger and so on. I don't make the soup in the crock pot, I do it on the stove in a regular large pot. So most of the cooked beans get used for future burrito bowls and the rest stay in the soup.

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#162 Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
oh, Spud - that brown stew looks awesome

I do something similar except with beans (I can't believe I don't have that recipe on my site, lol).

When I make a batch of beans in the crock pot (usually navy beans, great northern and pinto beans) I put in extra water so that there is lots of leftover bean broth and then I just start throwing in everything tasty that I have around including garlic, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli stalks, parsnips and turnips and then also add a tablespoon or so of miso, fresh ginger and so on. I don't make the soup in the crock pot, I do it on the stove in a regular large pot. So most of the cooked beans get used for future burrito bowls and the rest stay in the soup.

Emma JC
That's a really good idea! Bean broth would make a really good savoury stock for soups.

Today we had Tofu in Purgatory for brunch, really enjoyed this one. Dead simple and easy to cook. Will probably make regularly now.

'Tofu in Purgatory', recipe here

Emma JC likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-26-2017 at 01:46 AM.
#163 Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Our tea last night was one of our favourites: Cajun black-eyed beans with rice, sweet potatoes and greens (recipe here). I love this meal!

Emma JC likes this.
#164 Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Saag Aloo / Indian potato and spinach curry tonight (to go with chickpea and tomato curry and chapattis).

This is a really common side dish you will find in pretty much every Indian takeaway and restaurant in the UK.

I followed this recipe by Madhur Jaffrey, except I doubled the potatoes as I prefer a higher ratio of potatoes to spinach in my saag aloo.

This dish is an excellent way to use frozen spinach; which is a super handy (and much cheaper than fresh) staple in my freezer!

http://timskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/20...saag-aloo.html

Emma JC likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-29-2017 at 08:37 AM.
#165 Old 06-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Emma JC

This is my version of "brown stew", I call it Bean Vegetable Potato Soup, and for this version I added a can of tomatoes so maybe it is Bean Vegetable Tomato Potato Soup or "stewp" as we like to call anything that has a lot of stuff in it. It was delicious.

3 types of beans, carrots, turnip, parsnip, bell peppers, broccoli stalks, onion, garlic, 2 serano peppers, potatoes, low sodium veggie stock, bean juice from the crock pot, miso, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper.

Drizzled with some tahini, sprinkled with pepper, turmeric and some salt.

Emma JC
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#166 Old 07-02-2017, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is my version of "brown stew", I call it Bean Vegetable Potato Soup, and for this version I added a can of tomatoes so maybe it is Bean Vegetable Tomato Potato Soup or "stewp" as we like to call anything that has a lot of stuff in it. It was delicious.

3 types of beans, carrots, turnip, parsnip, bell peppers, broccoli stalks, onion, garlic, 2 serano peppers, potatoes, low sodium veggie stock, bean juice from the crock pot, miso, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper.

Drizzled with some tahini, sprinkled with pepper, turmeric and some salt.

Emma JC
Stews/stewp is supposed to be winter food isn't it? I can eat that stuff all year round, easy!

Cook day today. Will see what I get up to. Hoping to get some stuff done for the freezer, in store for the month ahead.

This morning I made myself some spicy bean pate - hopefully for sandwiches next week, if it lasts.. Recipe here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/

Emma JC likes this.
#167 Old 07-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a busy bee today. This morning made a batch of chickpea and tomato curry Recipe HERE, as well as a batch of red bean and mushroom goulash Recipe HERE for the freezer.

And this evening I've made a huge pan of brown rice Paella Veduras which was yumshous!

I don't have a pic, but mine looked a lot like this:

Roughly followed a mash up of these two recipes:
http://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-spanish-paella/
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/01...le-paella.html

First, I part boiled two cups of brown rice for 15 mins (brown rice takes longer to cook, so I followed this tip to make sure it's cooked properly) then rinsed, drained and left to one side.
Then sauted a thinly sliced large onion with thinly sliced garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil. Used a big pan!

Made up one and a half pints of hot stock (well I started with one pint but then added in more water - so can't be certain of volume) with vegetable bouillon powder, turmeric (for colour) 2 tbsp tomato puree and a heaped tablespoon of smoked paprika.

Added the par-boiled rice and stock to the pan with the onions.

Then added in about 2 cups of frozen broad beans (lima), about a pint of frozen green beans and one and a half cups of frozen sliced red peppers (these actually worked great as fast fixes). Quantities were eyeballed so can't be sure on that - there was plenty of veggies to rice though - don't be shy.

Brought to the boil, reduced the heat and simmered for about 15 mins until veggies tender and the stock was absorbed by the rice (Paella's supposed to be moist but not runny).

Then added in a can (drained) of artichoke hearts (quartered first) and heated through for another 5 mins.

Chopped a load of parsley and stirred through before serving.
Served with wedges of fresh lemon to squeeze over.

A really nice Summery dish. We ate ours in the garden with the last of the sunshine.
You do need a good quality vegetable stock though - I use Marigold.

Next time I may use white wine in the stock and sliced olives at the last minute. Also lemon zest would be good in there.

ETA: I'm going to be eating Paella for work lunches for the foreseeable future! Next time I think I'll make a bit less...

Last edited by Spudulika; 07-04-2017 at 12:14 AM.
#168 Old 07-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Been busy preserving and dehydrating garden goodies lately and eating lots of fruit and salads in between.

Making pickles, seasoning powders with onion tops and garlic scapes, dehydrating and freezing berries, making broth, shelling peas, and dehydrating excess greens to add to smoothies, soups, etc.

Gonna grill mushroom caps, zucchini, corn on the cob, onions, and bell peppers later on.
Spudulika and Emma JC like this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#169 Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Emma JC

Quote:
Stews/stewp is supposed to be winter food isn't it? I can eat that stuff all year round, easy!

This morning I made myself some spicy bean pate - hopefully for sandwiches next week, if it lasts.. Recipe here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/
I know, stewp seems like it should be winterish, with the a/c on it kinda is winterish. lol The more I eat other dinners the more I love the bean veggie stewp - it is so satisfying on every level, doesn't make me feel "stuffed" and has so many nutrients.

Now... I love your recipe for bean pate and will definitely be trying it soon as I love 'dippy' things and spreadable things. I will leave out the oil for cooking the veggies though.

Thank you for the recipe as I have been using cooked squash in place of butter on breads so this will make another nice addition.

Emma JC
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#170 Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Today I cooked white bean and leek patties. Big batch style for the freezer.

Recipe here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...h-cook-recipe/

Emma JC likes this.
#171 Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I opened a 1kg bag of frozen mixed berries and made 'Berry Bircher Muesli' following this recipe:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2013...-home-37p/amp/

I think in the states you call this 'overnight oats', so far as I can tell it's basically the same thing as 'bircher muesli'.
This recipe, while tasty, is pretty stingy on the berries, in fact all of the ingredients should be upped for anyone who's able to eat more than a mouthful

I used a whole pot of coconut yogurt (500g) and half the weight again in berries (250g) and oats (250g), I also added a couple of tablespoons of agave syrup. Me and him have had half of what I made tonight, so I'd say the weights I used would feed four. Next time I'm going to double the berries to match the weight of the yogurt so it's extra fruity. All you do is defrost the berries, mash them up a bit with a fork, then mix everything together and chill overnight (or stuff it down instantly if feeling greedy).

For anyone from the UK who might be interested, the bag of berries I got was brilliant value. £3 for 1kg at ASDA. I'm going to use these like crazy:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/f...y/910003052793

#172 Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Last thing I made was a simple hummus, with no added oil. I use plain unsweetened soya yogurt and smooth peanut butter. Sometimes I use tahini, but it really depends if I've got any in at the time and I have to get it from the health food shop as my supermarket doesn't stock.

Emma JC likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 07-26-2017 at 03:50 AM.
#173 Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Emma JC

Quote:
Last thing I made was a simple hummus, with no added oil. I use plain unsweetened soya yogurt and smooth peanut butter. Sometimes I use tahini, but it really depends if I've got any in at the time and I have to get it from the health food shop as my supermarket doesn't stock.

That looks good - I was watching something the other day and they mentioned they used a different white bean in their hummus as it is smoother. So white kidney beans or navy or great northern - haven't tried it yet myself. Have you?

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#174 Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
That looks good - I was watching something the other day and they mentioned they used a different white bean in their hummus as it is smoother. So white kidney beans or navy or great northern - haven't tried it yet myself. Have you?

Emma JC
I've used cannellini beans in hummus like dips. I've also used butter beans. Butter beans are probably the smoothest, as they cook up nice and soft and the ratio of starchy filling to skin is higher. All beans are candidates for hummus-style dips though, it's worth trying them out.
Emma JC likes this.
#175 Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

This morning I made 'Appleberry Bircher muesli' by tweaking the recipe shared above, and this is going to be my new go to for breakfasts. Super yummy, and a perfect way to eat apples if you're not keen on the skin or core:

Ingredients

500g plain unsweetened soya or coconut yoghurt
500g frozen mixed berries
250g wholegrain porridge oats
3 tbsp agave syrup

Plus 1 fresh apple per serving

Method

Defrost the berries overnight (alternatively defrost the berries in a bag placed in hot water, or use the microwave)
Stir all ingredients, except apples, together and put in a sealed tub in the fridge to be used when wanted (will last several days).
To eat, spoon some of the mixture into a bowl and add one freshly grated apple. Stir together and serve.

Serves 6

Last edited by Spudulika; 08-13-2017 at 12:54 AM.
#176 Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I made brown rice paella verduras again today. I'm really happy with this recipe. Tasty, fresh, summery and satisfying.

Emma JC likes this.
#177 Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

The last thing I cooked was tonights tea. We had pineapple sweet and sour stir fry of vegetables and tofu, served with short grain brown rice.

Mine looked a lot like this, though my tofu was browned:

First I pressed and cubed a 400g block of tofu, then I coated it with a mixture of: 1 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil and 1 tbsp cornflour. Then I placed teh cubes on a greased baking sheet and baked them at 200C for 25 mins. took the recipe from here: https://cookieandkate.com/2016/how-t...u/print/24123/

Second I made up the sweet and sour sauce and set to one side: mix 1 cup pineapple juice (juice from a can of pineapple chunks, plus extra if needed. Can also use orange juice), 4 tbsp soya sauce, 1/4 cup agave syrup, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp cornflour. Recipe from here: http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/ma...e-and-peppers/

Third I chopped lots of fresh veggies from the fridge (tonight we had red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, carrots, green cabbage, cucumber, garlic).

Lastly I stir fried the veg in a tablespoon of sesame oil for a few mins. Added in pineapple chunks, heated. Then added the sauce mix. Cooked the sauce for a few mins to thicken then stirred in the tofu. Heated through and served over some boiled short grain brown rice.

Very good. The tofu was perfect pre-baked (I can never get it right stir fried). And the pineapple added a nice note of sweetness - without being sugary. The sauce was considerably better than bought stuff, much less sweet and much less vinegary, also less thick and syrupy - just right. Quite a high ratio of sauce to veggies tho', so will increase volume of veg next time.

Last edited by Spudulika; 08-29-2017 at 11:12 AM.
#178 Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Vegan Podcaster

Send a message via Skype™ to Jerod Killick
Lightbulb Killer Kuke Salad!

I love to make my favourite, "Killer Cuke Salad." It is absolutely clean, delish, fresh tasting, and delightful, especially on a warm day.

Ingredients are as follows:

Salad Fixings:
Two large English cucumbers
One fennel bulb
One large firm Heirloom tomato
One handful fresh cilantro
One half red onion

Dressing:
1/8th cup balsamic vinegar
1/8th cup red wine vinegar
1/3rd cup olive oil
Juice from one Naval orange
Salt and pepper to taste

Supplies:
Big fancy bowl
Mandolin slicer
Sharp chef’s knife (we use Wusthof!)
Whisk for dressing

Putting It All Together Advice:

It is important to chill your vegetables in the refrigerator for about an hour prior to picking up your knife.
Cut cucumbers lengthways in half and use a mandolin to slice (on the thickest setting).
The fennel bulb is also easy to slice using the mandolin. However, be careful! Many folks have lost the tip of a finger with that tool!
The secret to the dressings the Naval orange. I have also used a Sumo orange with mixed results (too sweet).

Alternatives:

As with any salad, there are a million alternatives to consider as you put together your grocery list. I love to use a cup of cherry tomatoes sliced in half. Not only are they delish, they also pack a nutritional punch (B-6, Vitamin A, etc.). We have also used celery on occasion. There are no limits!
Spudulika likes this.
#179 Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 AM

This thread is making me hungry...
Spudulika likes this.
#180 Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Last thing I cooked was today's lunch, dead simple chilli and sage butternut squash soup:

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...t-squash-soup/

Last edited by Spudulika; 09-02-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page