What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

#121 Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 AM

Thank you Spudulika, glad you like it. I've been eyeing up your Toor Palak Dal recipe, looks yummy

YouTube:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vegan recipes - Health tips

Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

For tonights tea we're having pan fried tofu and spinach burgers, baked herby potato wedges and a mixed salad on the side.
Recipe for burgers I found here. Yum Yum!:

Tofu & Spinach Burgers

Ingredients
16 ounces frozen spinach (organic), thawed
15 ounces firm tofu
3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 big cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup LSA mix
1 tablespoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup coconut oil
Optional: dash of Bragg Liquid Amino
Instructions
Crumble tofu, and mix all ingredients together in bowl. Allow to sit a few minutes so oats can absorb some of the liquid from the spinach.
Add a little water if your mixture isn't wet enough to hold together. Add the Bragg if desired.
Make patties with your hands and fry with a little coconut oil. Cook for 6-10 minutes on each side, turning carefully. Serve with a nice big salad!
#123 Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Pad Thai

Recently been making heaps of pad thai NOM NOM NOM
Spudulika and Symondezyn like this.

#124 Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 AM
person

I don't cook.

My husband has to do it.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#125 Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Shopping, prepping, and cooking up vegan vittles for us and mom the last two days has included:

Veggie soup made with home canned tomatoes, frozen mixed veggies, frozen fordhook limas, chopped bell peppers of all colors, with a little liquid stevia to sweeten, and seasoned with some sea salt, onion powder, and pepper.

Garden salad made with arugula, curly kale, baby spring greens, carrots, celery, radishes, red bell pepper, green onion, red onion, mung bean sprouts, and cherry tomatoes.

Chick pea salad made with drained and rinsed mashed chickpeas (mashed with old school potato masher and fork), finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper, green onion, hem hearts, and celery, seasoned with sea salt and black pepper. Split that portion in half and added some curry to taste for a curried chick pea variety. Can be used for sandwiches, wraps, or can top the garden salad with a scoop.

Red grapes and sliced bananas mixed together with a generous drizzle each of fresh lemon and lime juice.

Sliced and cubed cantaloupe.

Apples and clementines.

Roasted brussel sprouts and carrots, washed, trimmed, halved, and sliced into fairly equal sizes, marinated (added all to a gallon size ziploc baggie and massaged to thoroughly cover, then let set for maybe an hour while doing other stuff) with a drizzle of almond oil, a splash each of balsamic vinaigrette and sweet rice vinegar, and a very small amount of garlic powder sprinkled on top, and baked uncovered in a large baking dish at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, then stirred and baked 15 minutes longer.

And some Greatorade (thanks to the Meat Free Athlete for sharing her recipe here a while back) made with orange/mango juice, lemon juice, lime juice, coconut water, filtered water, and sea salt.
Werewolf Girl and Spudulika like this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#126 Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Had a sweet tooth and whipped up 4 smashed bananas, 1/4 cup each of coconut flour, chickpea flour, and gluten-free baking flour (Bob's Red Mill brand), flax meal egg replacement (1tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water for each egg you wish to replace, let sit for at least 10 minutes), and a little splash of vanilla, and two heaping tbsp. organic cocoa.

Mixed well, greased glass baking dish with coconut oil, added mixture, evened it out, baked at 350 for 30-ish minutes, kept a close eye on it. Let it completely cool before cutting. It was nice and moist, and perhaps could have baked a few more minutes, but was incredibly delicious. I think I'll throw in some dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped walnuts or hemp hearts next time.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#127 Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I made a bunch of mashed potatoes with roasted veggies and gravy. Perfect comfort food.
Naturebound and Symondezyn like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#128 Old 03-26-2017, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Made the Vegan Egg last night for my partner and I, along with scrambled tofu, celery, onion, and mushrooms in veggie broth. I added the following spices: turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper, dulse, basil, liquid smoke.

Had some spaghetti squash with it, and some cashew milk

I was surprised to see that the Vegan Egg has 10% calcium per serving. It's main ingredient is algal which is also a common ingredient in some vegan calcium supplements.
Spudulika and Symondezyn like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#129 Old 03-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

This is my recipe for chilli tweaked over and over for years now. It includes a mole style chocolate sauce.
I know everyone has their own way of making chilli, but this IMHO is just about as good as it gets (in my experience lol!).

It's a batch cooking version and typically serves 8 or possibly more (depending on how generous your portion sizes are). Freezes very well. If you don't want to cook the volume I do, then 500g dry beans are about equal to 4 x 400g tinned.

Use a big pan! One with a lid.

Black Bean Mole Chilli sin Carne

Soak and cook 500g black beans. Drain and leave till needed.

Chop:

4 onions
6 bell/sweet peppers (any colour)
1 bulb garlic

Saute veg in 2 x tbsp vegetable oil.

Stir in:

1 x heaped tbsp ground cinnamon
4 x heaped tbsp ground hot chilli powder
1 x heaped tbsp paprika
2 x heaped tbsp ground cumin

Briefly saute to cook the spices.

Dissolve 2 x vegetable stock cubes and 3 x heaped teaspoons strong instant coffee powder in half a pint of boiling water. Stir into the vegetables.

Then add:

3 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
4 x US Cups frozen sweetcorn kernels

Bring to the boil stirring frequently, then turn down to a simmer.

Stir in:

2 x tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 x rounded tbsp cocoa powder
2 x rounded tbsp dark brown sugar
4 x tbsp tomato ketchup

Stir in 1/2 Cup dry bulgar wheat.

Bring to the boil again, and turn down to a simmer.
Put on lid and cook for about 10 minutes or until bulgar is cooked.

Stir in cooked black beans. Bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, until beans are thoroughly heated through.

Stir in 2 x tbsp lime juice and season with salt to taste. Serve.

It should be quite thick at this point, with a rich brown sauce at the same time. Do take care not to allow the sauce to burn on the bottom while cooking, you can't really leave this to bubble away on its own for long, it does need to be watched and stirred quite a bit. I usually pop my lap top on the kitchen table and potter online when batch cooking so I can keep an eye on things.

We usually serve with salted tortilla chips and Mexican slaw (thinly shredded white cabbage, thinly sliced onion, grated carrot, finely chopped green pickled jalapenos, finely chopped fresh coriander, dress with lime juice and salt to taste). It's a good mix of crunchy and tangy.

Last edited by Spudulika; 03-28-2017 at 06:48 AM.
#130 Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Savory oatmeal with mushroom, onion, peas, organic roasted peanuts, curry spice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savory Oatmeal with Peas, onion, mushroom, organic roasted peanuts, curry spice.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	15898  
Werewolf Girl and Symondezyn like this.

#131 Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Savory oatmeal with mushroom, onion, peas, organic roasted peanuts, curry spice.
I still haven't got my head around savoury oatmeal! I'm sure it's lovely but I just can't seem to make myself try it
#132 Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Another "let's use up what's already in the fridge" dish, with an Asian-ish flair. Sauteed, in a small bit of toasted sesame oil, some chopped sweet onion, green onion, garlic, red potatoes chopped thinly and finely, and eventually added frozen green peas to the mix and once done, added the blend to some pre-cooked gluten-free quinoa rotini tossed with some additional toasted sesame oil, white pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, and dulse granules, topped with hemp hearts before serving.

#133 Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesomelicious!

Just made this recipe for Baked Stuffed Courgettes, oh yum. So buttery and fresh.

I must buy some courgette plants for the summer; this recipe is perfect for a courgette (aka: zucchini - but I'm sure everyone knows that) glut.

I used a bit more cashews and will probably use about 3oz next time as they are good in there. Could also do with some Mediterranean herbs, but otherwise super.

https://www.vegansociety.com/resourc...-and-wild-rice

Stuffed baked courgettes with cashews and wild rice

Serves 4.

Ingredients

2oz / 55g wild rice
4 large courgettes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2oz / 55g carrot, grated
1 1/2 oz / 45g cashew nuts, lightly toasted
Salt and pepper to taste
Method

Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet.
Cut the courgettes in half lengthways. Remove the flesh, leaving about half a centimetre. Chop the flesh and set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the onions and red pepper. Cook gently for about ten minutes until the onion is starting to brown. Add the garlic, chopped courgette flesh and carrots and cook for a further few minutes.
Remove the pan and add cashew nuts, rice, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into the courgette shells.
Cover and place on a baking tray. Cook for 25-30 minutes. (I cooked mine for 45 mins, but they were large courgettes)
#134 Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Bob's Red Mill gluten-free corn bread mix made with almond milk, earth balance soy free buttery spread, and flax egg replacement served with roasted asparagus and a side garden salad topped with chickpeas, hemp hearts, and papaya poppy seed dressing.
Spudulika likes this.

#135 Old 04-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Made Pasta e Fagioli today. Sounds a lot more fancy than it is. Just pasta and beans with the usual base of diced onions, celery, carrot and garlic with lots of rosemary for extra flavour.

I knew I wanted it to look like the goopy brown 'authentic' stuff like this:

Rather than a brightly coloured watered down version such as this (not that it wouldn't taste nice but I wanted the 'meaty' richness of that brown goop!):

So after reviewing a number of traditional recipes on this dish (thank you Google translate) I opted for a 2 to 1 ratio of dried beans (500g) to dried pasta (250g). The recipes usually tell you to cook the beans then take out some and blend the rest in the cooking water; I wasn't able to do this as the beans were pre-cooked from the freezer, so I blended half the beans in a pint of hot vegetable stock and left the rest whole. The only other key ingredient is tomatoes, either tinned or pureed - as I didn't want it too runny and I'd already added a pint of stock, I opted for a mixture of both (2 tbsp tomato puree and 250ml passata). The only other thing I added was a heaped teaspoon of smoked paprika, not traditional but a good flavour substitute for the ham/sausage some recipes contain.

This is the recipe I cobbled together (and yes, it looks like something you would feed your dog, but that brown goop tastes amazing!):

Soak 500g borlotti beans overnight and cook till tender. Drain and put aside.
Cook 250g pasta - small tubes are best but you can use other shapes. Drain and put aside.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Saute 2 finely diced onions, 2 finely diced carrots, 2 finely diced sticks of celery and 3 crushed cloves of garlic until tender. Add one heaped teaspoon smoked paprika and 2 heaped teaspoons dried rosemary.
Dissolve a vegetable stock cube in a large jug, with one pint boiling water. Add in half of your borlotti beans and puree till smooth with a hand blender.
Add puree to pan along with 2 tbsp tomato puree and 250g passata. Add in borlotti beans and pasta. Heat through and serve.

Last edited by Spudulika; 04-03-2017 at 07:38 AM.
#136 Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

This is supposed to be a red lentil dahl (coconut milk version with lots of Indian spices) but it doesn't really look saucy enough. It was quite tasty though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Lentil Dahl.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	15914  

#137 Old 04-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a nice warm Spring day here so we had baked potatoes topped with 'tuna' and sweetcorn mayonnaise, plus a mixed green side salad and slaw

I mixed up these two recipes and put a spin of my own on top:

http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/ve...sweetcorn.html
http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-...ea-of-t-114022

Himself was very impressed. This is what I did, plus some tweaking for next time:

Mix together:

1 x 400g tin drained chickpeas, roughly mashed
2 tbsp drained capers, roughly mashed
third of a teaspoon celery seeds
1 tbsp eggless mayonnaise
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 gherkin, finely chopped
4 - 6 tbsp drained tinned sweetcorn
2 - 4 finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
handful finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon french mustard
half a teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
#138 Old 04-13-2017, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I keep meaning to post this. Last Sunday I made a quiche using tofu and the Vegan Egg along with Daiya cheese, mushrooms, onion, spinach and tomato. I used phyllo pastry sheets for the crust. However, I made a lot of mistakes so it didn't set right. I used too much liquid. even after an hour it didn't firm up, so this ended up being more of a casserole than a quiche. I also used too many layers of phyllo and I was careless about how I placed them in the pan, but it was still incredible with this! Very flaky crust. It all still tasted great but didn't look the greatest. My partner and I ended up scooping it out of the pan and eating it in bowls lol. I am open to any tips or ideas for future quiches to make this work better. I haven't made one of these in years.

Here is a pic of my quiche before we dug into it:
Attached Images

#139 Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I keep meaning to post this. Last Sunday I made a quiche using tofu and the Vegan Egg along with Daiya cheese, mushrooms, onion, spinach and tomato. I used phyllo pastry sheets for the crust. However, I made a lot of mistakes so it didn't set right. I used too much liquid. even after an hour it didn't firm up, so this ended up being more of a casserole than a quiche. I also used too many layers of phyllo and I was careless about how I placed them in the pan, but it was still incredible with this! Very flaky crust. It all still tasted great but didn't look the greatest. My partner and I ended up scooping it out of the pan and eating it in bowls lol. I am open to any tips or ideas for future quiches to make this work better. I haven't made one of these in years.

Here is a pic of my quiche before we dug into it:
I really like the idea of making it with filo pastry instead of shortcrust - much lower in fat.

You could try adding in chickpea flour to help it set maybe?
Mary's Test Kitchen has an amazing looking quiche on her YouTube channel that uses nothing but chickpea flour as the 'egg'

#140 Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

My last batch cook was cajun style black-eye beans which I serve with brown rice, baked sweet potatoes and garlicky greens (shredded steamed cabbage tossed with hot garlic 'butter'). This is one of our favourite meals, very worth trying.

This is a copy and paste of the recipe I usually use (can't find the original recipe online any more):

Ingredients

1 pound black-eyed peas
1 litre vegetable broth or stock
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 onion, chopped
1 - 2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 celery stalks with leaves, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Pinch of celery salt
1 Tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
A few dashes of hot chilli sauce

Instructions

Wash and soak the beans overnight.
In a stockpot add the olive oil and butter and bring to medium heat.
Add the onions, bell pepper, celery, and carrots.
Saute until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender. Allow to cool.
Place all ingredients into a crock-pot on low for about three hours - or until beans are tender.
Season as needed. Serve alone or tossed with boiled rice
Serves 8 portions (about 1 cup each) freeze in 2 serving portions (ie: 4 x 2)

Steam 1 cup brown long grain rice, and mix together with 1/4 of the beans, to make enough Hoppin' John to serve 2

Serve with sauted garlicky greens and baked sweet potatoes.

Last edited by Spudulika; 04-13-2017 at 09:16 AM.
#141 Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I really like the idea of making it with filo pastry instead of shortcrust - much lower in fat.

You could try adding in chickpea flour to help it set maybe?
Mary's Test Kitchen has an amazing looking quiche on her YouTube channel that uses nothing but chickpea flour as the 'egg'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANDJJoVuOY
Thanks! I am going to check out that video. I have made chickpea flour type quiches before but just don't like them as well as tofu based as they always seemed bready which is not what I want in a quiche. However, I wonder if mixing tofu AND chickpea flour might work. I love chickpea flour for stuff like french toast batter, omelets, and in veggie burgers.

I have fallen in love with those filo sheets! I've also made apple turnovers with them so far. I didn't want to mess around making a homemade pie crust for the quiche, and the commercial vegan pie crusts all have palm oil in them which I am not crazy about and trying to steer away from. Filo sheets have surprisingly few ingredients in them. They are very easy to work with, and will not trigger binges for me (homemade dough is a huge issue with me...sighs).
Spudulika likes this.

#142 Old 05-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I made chickpea and tomato curry today, big batch for the freezer, following this recipe:

Chana Masala - Vegan & Wholefood

Ingredients

500g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes, blended to a puree in a food processor
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I use rapeseed)
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 bulbs of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
4″ of fresh garlic root, roughly chopped
1 large bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
4 green chillies, roughly chopped
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Method

Heat the oil in a large pan and add in the onions. Add a bit of salt to help them sweat and then stir in the cumin powder.
Put the fresh coriander, fresh chillies, garlic and ginger in a food processor and process to a rough paste. Add the mixture to the pan and heat through, stirring.
Add coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric to the pan, stir.
Add pureed tomatoes and cooked drained chickpeas to the pan. Stir through.
Bring to the boil, reduced heat and simmer for about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add salt and sugar to taste and stir through.
Take off heat and add in garam masala and lemon juice.
Serve with rice, naan or chapatis.
Naturebound likes this.
#143 Old 05-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

No photos, but I am experimenting with making tofu yogurt. I blended a block of refrigerated extra firm tofu with a tablespoon of lemon juice, pinch of water, probiotic powder, pinch of salt. I then added it to my yogurt maker and let it ferment for 12 hours. The result is a very thick sourish yogurty tasting tofu, though the texture still resembles tofu more than a creamy yogurt. I LOVE very thick sourish (bordering on sour cream tasting) yogurt, and have been on a long term quest to find a plant based version of a "greek style" yogurt. I'm not sure that this is it lol, but it is very close. Very plain and simple to make. I used calcium set tofu, and divided it into two servings and two glass jars to ferment, so I have two tofu yogurt breakfasts awaiting me. I plan to add fresh strawberries to them for an authentic greek style yogurt with berries, a breakfast I used to enjoy as an omni. I like that the tofu yogurt has about 16 grams of protein and 30% calcium (this would be equivalent to two servings of a refrigerated block of tofu), and is loaded with iron. And the strawberries will provide vitamin C for maximum absorption.

I don't tend to eat a ton of soy (long standing thyroid issues), but every once in a while I will play around with a block of tofu because I enjoy the versatility of it.

so far I have tried homemade:

coconut yogurt
coconut/almond yogurt
cashew yogurt
oatgurt
tofu yogurt
soy yogurt

I still think I like cashew yogurt the best, followed by oatgurt, then coconut/almond yogurt blend. But this is good too!
Spudulika likes this.

#144 Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Made a tagine again yesterday, froze half for next week and ate the other half today with some nice couscous (just wholewheat couscous with a little EVOO and good veggie bouillon)

I'm gradually starting to learn how to do a proper vegetable tagine. I'm more used to doing a 'stew' kind of thing with Morrocan spices, but the real deal should be very slowly steamed in a little spiced liquid, rather than stewed in a thick or runny sauce. The vegetables should be thickly sliced and layered into the pot with the slower cooking vegetables at the bottom and the quicker cooking veg at the top.

The tagine I cooked yesterday was much better than my previous efforts, the thick sliced veg (I used red onions, garlic, red peppers, butternut squash and celery) - although tender - still held its shape really well (no moosh) and the sauce was also lighter than I've been used to making. I've only really started to work out how to do this dish in a more traditional way, so is a work in progress!

These recipes have some helpful guidance:
https://www.thespruce.com/vegetarian...tagine-2395034
https://moroccantagine.wordpress.com...tarian-tagine/

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-09-2017 at 09:30 AM.
#145 Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE these burgers by Clearspot (though I wouldn't serve in a bun - they're best with rice or noodles):

I've tried making sesame tofu burgers before but not been happy with the texture, so I realised I was going wrong not including the right kind of binding agent. On checking the ingredients list, I realised the Clearspot burgers use millet which is an incredibly sticky grain, so I bought some and today I'm cooking Tofu & Millet Patties using a mash-up of these recipes:

https://www.vegansociety.com/resourc...and-tofu-cakes
https://captious.wordpress.com/2009/...illet-patties/
http://www.glowingwithhealth.com/wp-...u-Patties1.pdf

The recipe I've cobbled together is:

Press a 500g block of firm tofu overnight.

Simmer 1 cup of millet in 3 cups of boiling water and 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, for fifteen minutes.
Set aside and cool.

Process tofu and millet together in a food processor with:

1 tbsp strong soy sauce
1 tsp ground giger
4 cloves garlic (I'm a garlic fiend)
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsp arrowroot poswder

Shape into fat patties and chill.

I haven't cooked them yet but the mixture tastes good!
I usually pan-fry the Clearspot burgers, so that's what I'll do with these too.

ETA: Taste great, texture too mooshy for my liking - though they hold their shape fine in the pan. Will reduce millet to 1/4 cup next time I think.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-21-2017 at 10:32 AM.
#146 Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 PM

I have been working on learning how to cook Ethiopian foods. I made this ye'diffin misser alicha which is lentils in a garlic ginger sauce one night and a few nights later, I used the leftovers in ye'difin misser sambusas which is a hand pie with chickpea flour crust. I did not get the crust quite right so will be working on finding / developing a good vegan hand pie crust. I love the idea of making hand pies with leftovers because I usually have tons of them. I make a lot of Indian and Ethiopian foods and I think the textures lend themselves very well to pies.
Spudulika likes this.
#147 Old 06-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post

I have been working on learning how to cook Ethiopian foods. I made this ye'diffin misser alicha which is lentils in a garlic ginger sauce one night and a few nights later, I used the leftovers in ye'difin misser sambusas which is a hand pie with chickpea flour crust. I did not get the crust quite right so will be working on finding / developing a good vegan hand pie crust. I love the idea of making hand pies with leftovers because I usually have tons of them. I make a lot of Indian and Ethiopian foods and I think the textures lend themselves very well to pies.
Yum! I would definitely make this
Can you supply the recipe you used? Also great idea about the sambusas/pies!
#148 Old 06-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Yum! I would definitely make this
Can you supply the recipe you used? Also great idea about the sambusas/pies!
I didn't want to put the recipe in the initial post because it is not mine and I got it out of a cookbook. I did look for a link and found it here it here so I do feel comfortable sharing that. I always add more ginger and garlic than the recipe calls for but I like things to be more flavorful.

http://www.veganricha.com/2015/03/ye...ger-sauce.html
Spudulika likes this.
#149 Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
I didn't want to put the recipe in the initial post because it is not mine and I got it out of a cookbook. I did look for a link and found it here it here so I do feel comfortable sharing that. I always add more ginger and garlic than the recipe calls for but I like things to be more flavorful.

http://www.veganricha.com/2015/03/ye...ger-sauce.html
Thank you !
Ferncat likes this.
#150 Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Today we had chana masala (I make this up in big batches for the freezer) and Mattar Pilau (spiced Indian rice with peas).
He made the pilau, which was really tasty, so I'm sharing here as usual. The only thing that I'd add is that we didn't find the rice cooked in 15 mins, probably more like 25 mins. He also used 5 cups of water instead of 2 & 1/2. Definitely one to do again, and I'll tweak the recipe a bit next time. Lastly, it was quite spicy despite the fact we didn't add fresh chillies (didn't have them in) so you may want to consider how much heat you like before loading it up

http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/2016...ao-recipe.html

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 25 to 30 mins
Serves: 2 to 4

Ingredients:

Brown Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Water – 2.5 cups
Oil – 1 tblspn
Onion – 1 large chopped finely
Green Chillies – 3 chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tblspn
Carrot – 1 large size chopped
Peas – 1 cup (i used frozen)
Salt to taste
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 1 tblspn
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Mint Leaves a handful finely chopped
Coriander leaves a handful finely chopped

Whole Spices:
Shahi Jeera / Black Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu – 1 tsp
Cinnamon / Pattai – 3 cm piece
Cardamom / Yelakai – 4
Cloves / Krambu – 4
Bay Leaf – 1
Mace – 1

Method:
Wash and soak rice for 30 mins. Drain and set aside

Now heat oil in a large pot. Add in whole spices and let them sizzle.

Add in onions and salt. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.

Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.

Now add in all spice powders. Mix well.

Add in veggies and toss well. cook for few mins..

Add in water, and drained rice. Add in coriander and mint leaves. Mix well. Bring it to a boil, simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 15 mins on very low heat.

Open the pan, and fluff it with a fork. Cover again and set aside for 5 mins.

Serve.
BlueMts and Ferncat like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page