What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

#61 Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
Spudulika - your food sounds AMAZING!!

I tried cooking tofu last night. It did not go well.
It ended up tasting like rubber eggs.
I enjoy cooking so it's fun for me, plus I have a washer upper! I cook he washes up, it's quite a good deal for me.

Like the other's said tofu is all about how you cook it.

I never fry cubes of tofu in a frying pan or wok, it just doesn't seem to go well for me. But I do like to bake the stuff. The key is in pressing and marinating first. I got a tofu press which takes all the hassle out of pressing. But they're not uber cheap so it's probably worth getting a taste for tofu before buying special bits of equipment.

I think the very best place to use tofu if you're not used to it, is in simple oriental dishes. We frequently eat it marinated and baked and served with a jar of shop bought Chinese sauce (I like black bean sauce best), a big pan of stir fried vegetables (you can often buy these already chopped from the supermarket) and noodles (five minutes in boiling water). Easy peasy and works a treat.

This is what I do to bake tofu:
  • Drain it and press it overnight under a weight on the drainer.
  • Then slice it into slabs (the tofu I buy neatly slices into four pieces about 1 cm thick x 6 cm wide and 10 cm long).
  • Place it in a dish with a marinade (you could buy this too but it's easy to make. I whisk together four tablespoons of lemon juice, a tablespoon of maple syrup, a teaspoon of mustard, a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of oil (sesame is best) and spices (garlic granules, ground ginger, Chinese five spice, chilli powder, pepper - take your pick).
  • Leave it in this for about an hour turning over once.
  • Then smear a tray with oil and place the tofu steaks on this (I also pour over any remaining marinade) and bake for about half an hour in a moderately hot oven (I do mine at 200C).
  • It will go brown on the outside and a bit chewy in texture.
LedBoots, Naturebound and Triss like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The other day I made succotash with rice, which I finished up today for my lunch. This is the recipe I use:

Succotash with Rice
Cook 8oz of brown basmati rice until tender (it usually takes me 22 minutes) then drain and set to one side.
Simmer 8oz frozen baby broad beans in a large pan of hot water for about five minutes, add 8oz frozen sweetcorn kernels bring back up to a simmer and cook for a further five minutes. When vegetables are tender drain and put to one side.
Heat 2 – 3 tblsp olive oil in a large pan and add 1 finely diced onion and half a bulb finely sliced garlic. Saute till tender then add two diced peppers. Saute until pepper is tender. Add 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp chilli powder and cook for a couple more minutes.
Toss the cooked beans and sweetcorn into the pan with the onions and pepper and stir through. Salt to taste.
Then a) either serve the succotash over the rice, or b) add the rice into the pan with the vegetables and serve mixed together.
#63 Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Pagan Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I enjoy cooking so it's fun for me, plus I have a washer upper! I cook he washes up, it's quite a good deal for me.

Like the other's said tofu is all about how you cook it.

I never fry cubes of tofu in a frying pan or wok, it just doesn't seem to go well for me. But I do like to bake the stuff. The key is in pressing and marinating first. I got a tofu press which takes all the hassle out of pressing. But they're not uber cheap so it's probably worth getting a taste for tofu before buying special bits of equipment.

I think the very best place to use tofu if you're not used to it, is in simple oriental dishes. We frequently eat it marinated and baked and served with a jar of shop bought Chinese sauce (I like black bean sauce best), a big pan of stir fried vegetables (you can often buy these already chopped from the supermarket) and noodles (five minutes in boiling water). Easy peasy and works a treat.

This is what I do to bake tofu:
  • Drain it and press it overnight under a weight on the drainer.
  • Then slice it into slabs (the tofu I buy neatly slices into four pieces about 1 cm thick x 6 cm wide and 10 cm long).
  • Place it in a dish with a marinade (you could buy this too but it's easy to make. I whisk together four tablespoons of lemon juice, a tablespoon of maple syrup, a teaspoon of mustard, a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of oil (sesame is best) and spices (garlic granules, ground ginger, Chinese five spice, chilli powder, pepper - take your pick).
  • Leave it in this for about an hour turning over once.
  • Then smear a tray with oil and place the tofu steaks on this (I also pour over any remaining marinade) and bake for about half an hour in a moderately hot oven (I do mine at 200C).
  • It will go brown on the outside and a bit chewy in texture.
Thank you!!
I have some tofu left over from the other night, so I may try this at some point.

I'm assuming that the type of tofu (silken, firm, etc...) you use makes a difference as well?
Which type is best to use for something like this?
Spudulika likes this.

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone

#64 Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thank you!!
I have some tofu left over from the other night, so I may try this at some point.

I'm assuming that the type of tofu (silken, firm, etc...) you use makes a difference as well?
Which type is best to use for something like this?
I use firm for baking in savoury steaks or scrambling. Silken for puddings.
LedBoots likes this.
#65 Old 05-01-2016, 01:35 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Tonight's dinner was something I kinda just threw together - I made a pesto from some nutritional yeast, a buttload of basil, some parsley, some garlic, and some cashews. I had some frozen artichoke hearts so I defrosted them and tossed them into a pan with red onions, red bell pepper, chickpeas, and some gluten free penne pasta. I ended up with a rather yummy spring treat and a ton of leftovers. If anyone wants the actual recipe, everyone liked it so much I wrote it down.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#66 Old 05-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I may steal this one. Yum.
#67 Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
Tonight's dinner was something I kinda just threw together - I made a pesto from some nutritional yeast, a buttload of basil, some parsley, some garlic, and some cashews. I had some frozen artichoke hearts so I defrosted them and tossed them into a pan with red onions, red bell pepper, chickpeas, and some gluten free penne pasta. I ended up with a rather yummy spring treat and a ton of leftovers. If anyone wants the actual recipe, everyone liked it so much I wrote it down.
Yeah! That sounds very good!
I've only made pesto with walnuts, cashews would be good.
My basil hasn't even sprouted yet--but there will be buttloads!
#68 Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

I made a batch of simmered seitan, sliced and dredged in seasoned flour and sauteed.

The broth was delicious and I removed the seitan and cooked linguine noodles, threw in fresh spinach when they were done, and then added thawed mixed veggies and chopped seiten.
I felt weird thinking about that much starch, but it was delicious
Spudulika likes this.
#69 Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Yeah! That sounds very good!
I've only made pesto with walnuts, cashews would be good.
My basil hasn't even sprouted yet--but there will be buttloads!
I've made it with rocket, sorrel (very lemony spinach like herb), parcel (a celery flavoured parsley type herb) and probably other green herbs too. I avoid basil as it doesn't grow abundantly in my garden and it's a bit expensive to buy. I tend to use toasted sunflower seeds most often in pesto, as they're so inexpensive, but I've also used walnuts and almonds. It's a great versatile sauce.
#70 Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

I posted on the vegan eating forums, but I think it's more appropriate for here. I made a summer vegetable curry with brown rice and naan bread. The curry had tomatoes, spinach, yellow bell pepper, scallions, tofu, and shiitake mushrooms. I made it with coconut milk and added some black bean chili paste to add depth. It was delicious!

The gluten free naan was my own recipe and I posted it on my blog, but I'm still really proud of it. Here's the pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_00094.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	14489  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#71 Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I posted on the vegan eating forums, but I think it's more appropriate for here. I made a summer vegetable curry with brown rice and naan bread. The curry had tomatoes, spinach, yellow bell pepper, scallions, tofu, and shiitake mushrooms. I made it with coconut milk and added some black bean chili paste to add depth. It was delicious!

The gluten free naan was my own recipe and I posted it on my blog, but I'm still really proud of it. Here's the pic!
That really looks good!
#72 Old 05-07-2016, 02:18 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Pressure cooker sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, tofu, and broccoli in peanut sauce with brown rice. It was done in under 20 minutes, including prep time. The tofu firmed up quite a bit and absorbed a ton of flavor from the broth I used, though when I stirred in the peanut sauce mix I shredded it a bit. It was a hit and made a decent number of leftovers!

It doesn't look as pretty as some of the food I've made, but I assure you it was delicious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160506_235510.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	14497  
LedBoots likes this.

#73 Old 05-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Tonight's dinner is kind of thrown together. I'm going to bake a plain potato with rice and I'm going to brown some onions with low-sodium soy sauce, probably toss in some peppers, diced tomatoes, and some beans. Voila!
LedBoots likes this.
#74 Old 05-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Beautiful day here today.

This afternoon I cooked a lovely big pot of split pea and spring/collard greens dal.

Roughly followed this recipe here: Toor Palak Dal ("toor dal" is Indian for split peas)

Mine has at least double the amount of greens in than this pic, as well as being greener all over because I used green split peas.

I soaked 500g of split peas overnight, then drained and cooked them until soft (about an hour) in a little over two pints of water (can't exactly remember but the peas were just about covered). They should have a little water with them still, but not so much they are soupy. No need to drain, just leave them sitting in what's left of the cooking liquid.
I also de-ribbed and finely shredded 500g of spring greens (collard greens) and boiled in a large pan them until very tender (to try to match how wilted spinach behaves in a stew).

After draining the greens and setting them aside I reused the large pan they were cooked in to do the tarka fry.
Heated 2 tbsp oil and added 3 tsp whole cumin seeds and a teaspoon of asafeotida. Then added two finely chopped tomatoes and half a cup of water from the cooked split peas. Then I added 3 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp chilli flakes and 1 tsp turmeric.

Once these have cooked a bit, add back in the greens and stir thoroughly. Then add in all the peas and enough cooking water to make a thickish dal. Add about 3 tbsp + of lemon juice, and a couple of tsp garam masala. Salt to taste. Cook again until you're happy with the consistency.

Yum! Definitely going on our monthly rotation of meals.
LedBoots and Fr Ted Crilly like this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-08-2016 at 06:27 AM.
#75 Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Beautiful day here today.

This afternoon I cooked a lovely big pot of split pea and spring/collard greens dal.

Roughly followed this recipe here: Toor Palak Dal ("toor dal" is Indian for split peas)

Mine has at least double the amount of greens in than this pic, as well as being greener all over because I used green split peas.

I soaked 500g of split peas overnight, then drained and cooked them until soft (about an hour) in a little over two pints of water (can't exactly remember but the peas were just about covered). They should have a little water with them still, but not so much they are soupy. No need to drain, just leave them sitting in what's left of the cooking liquid.
I also de-ribbed and finely shredded 500g of spring greens (collard greens) and boiled in a large pan them until very tender (to try to match how wilted spinach behaves in a stew).

After draining the greens and setting them aside I reused the large pan they were cooked in to do the tarka fry.
Heated 2 tbsp oil and added 3 tsp whole cumin seeds and a teaspoon of asafeotida. Then added two finely chopped tomatoes and half a cup of water from the cooked split peas. Then I added 3 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp chilli flakes and 1 tsp turmeric.

Once these have cooked a bit, add back in the greens and stir thoroughly. Then add in all the peas and enough cooking water to make a thickish dal. Add about 3 tbsp + of lemon juice, and a couple of tsp garam masala. Salt to taste. Cook again until you're happy with the consistency.

Yum! Definitely going on our monthly rotation of meals.
Ok I'm so happy because I have split peas and have been craving something like this. I don't have collards, but I'll use baby spinach and some mixed greens with kale. And obv going a quicker soak/cook method due to time restraints (want some now lol) Thanks for the inspiration
Spudulika likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 05-08-2016 at 06:32 AM.
#76 Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Ok I'm so happy because I have split peas and have been craving something like this. I don't have collards, but I'll use baby spinach and some mixed greens with kale. And obv going a quicker soak/cook method due to time restraints (want some now lol) Thanks for the inspiration
I don't like dal too runny, if you're the same then watch how much water you add back into the final dish. Like I said above, I can't exactly recall how much water I used to cook the peas, 2 pints may be out - it was just enough so they were covered. You also don't need to soak the peas, just adapt the cooking time - it may take a bit longer*. I'm going to freeze the remainder - I love that this kind of food stores and reheats so well.

*posted before I saw your edit.
LedBoots likes this.
#77 Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I don't like dal too runny, if you're the same then watch how much water you add back into the final dish. Like I said above, I can't exactly recall how much water I used to cook the peas, 2 pints may be out - it was just enough so they were covered. You also don't need to soak the peas, just adapt the cooking time - it may take a bit longer*. I'm going to freeze the remainder - I love that this kind of food stores and reheats so well.

*posted before I saw your edit.
OK thank you. Looking forward to it!
Spudulika likes this.
#78 Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 AM

For dinner last night I made a wonderful pressure-cooker dish, Lorna Sass' "Thai Chickpeas" from her book, Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (the recipe is on page 12 at this link: http://theveggiequeen.com/wp-content...inal-11-11.pdf .) I added almost two pounds of sweet potatoes and two cans of chickpeas, and I served the dish over white basmati rice. If it weren't for the fact that I am wary of the saturated fat in the coconut milk, I would make this dish every week!
Attached Images

LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#79 Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJustBob View Post
For dinner last night I made a wonderful pressure-cooker dish, Lorna Sass' "Thai Chickpeas" from her book, Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (the recipe is on page 12 at this link: http://theveggiequeen.com/wp-content...inal-11-11.pdf .) I added almost two pounds of sweet potatoes and two cans of chickpeas, and I served the dish over white basmati rice. If it weren't for the fact that I am wary of the saturated fat in the coconut milk, I would make this dish every week!
Nice one @BobJustBob ! Interesting that the origins of these Thai style chickpeas came from (quote) "a forest monastery west of Bangkok." Also here:

http://www.veganpeace.com/recipe_pag...iChickpeas.htm
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-08-2016 at 10:14 AM.
#80 Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Sunday is a multicourse meal day for me, so I made something special for everyone.

Tonight's dinner was a black bean tostada smothered with Daiya cheddar, avocado, pickled onions, cabbage cured with cilantro, vinegar and scallions, and topped with a dollop of sour cream. Alongside it I served a thick hemp milk corn chowder with onions and bell pepper, as well as a delicious Australian shiraz.

Dessert was a gluten free PB&J muffin. I should be posting the recipes to my blog pretty soon. ^^
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	received_472260622972155.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	14641  
Attached Images

LedBoots likes this.

#81 Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night I made enchiladas with this recipe http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/04/veg...cream-sauce-2/
LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#82 Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Pagan Vegan

I made this a couple of nights ago and had enough for dinner and two tubs of leftovers; it's a recipe from the Veganomicon cookbook and considering I've never been a fan of eggplant/aubergine, I LOVED this dish!
The leftovers actually tasted better than the original, leaving the flavors to develop overnight made it richer, sweeter and just absolutely delicious!

Roasted eggplant and chickpea stew, served with roasted sweet potatoes and steamed kale:
(sorry for the picture quality, I had to take it from my Instagram)

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone
#83 Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Dug up an old Vegtimes from back in 2014 and found a gluten free pizza crust recipe with a bunch of topping suggestions. I linked the recipe online, but I had the magazine in print from way back then. I actually think I have all of them from back in 2013 through today as well...I digress. I decided to make it last night with Have a Heart brand mozzarella, some leftover Daiya cheddar I had laying around, arugula, sweet potatoes, red onion, and home-made sundried tomato basil pesto. The pesto was made with basil, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and cashews. The pizza came out delicious!

The recipe said it would make 2 10" round pizzas or one large cookie sheet's worth, so I opted for the cookie sheet square one, given that it required par-baking the crust and I was worried it would over proof. My oven only has one rack right now and is so old I can't order another one!

Hope you like the pic though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13225120_473730129491871_958954833_o.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	14721  
Spudulika and ellaj like this.

#84 Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 PM

Yesterday, I made a lentil ratatouille which turned out really tasty.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.
#85 Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Dug up an old Vegtimes from back in 2014 and found a gluten free pizza crust recipe with a bunch of topping suggestions. I linked the recipe online, but I had the magazine in print from way back then. I actually think I have all of them from back in 2013 through today as well...I digress. I decided to make it last night with Have a Heart brand mozzarella, some leftover Daiya cheddar I had laying around, arugula, sweet potatoes, red onion, and home-made sundried tomato basil pesto. The pesto was made with basil, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and cashews. The pizza came out delicious!

The recipe said it would make 2 10" round pizzas or one large cookie sheet's worth, so I opted for the cookie sheet square one, given that it required par-baking the crust and I was worried it would over proof. My oven only has one rack right now and is so old I can't order another one!

Hope you like the pic though.
Love the picture, Aliakai! What a delicious looking pizza.
#86 Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I made this a couple of nights ago and had enough for dinner and two tubs of leftovers; it's a recipe from the Veganomicon cookbook and considering I've never been a fan of eggplant/aubergine, I LOVED this dish!
The leftovers actually tasted better than the original, leaving the flavors to develop overnight made it richer, sweeter and just absolutely delicious!

Roasted eggplant and chickpea stew, served with roasted sweet potatoes and steamed kale:
(sorry for the picture quality, I had to take it from my Instagram)

I somehow missed your post earlier. Triss, this dish looks so delicious!
#87 Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I'll be making Eggplant Parmesan with this recipe http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-eggplant-parmesan/
#88 Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Baby Love

Dinner:
Cornmeal-encrusted Tofu
Asparagus w/ chunky Kosher salt
Sauteed Chinese Kale (grown in my garden ) w/ Garlic
Black and Brown Rice

Dessert:
Smoothie made from soy milk, frozen banana, and frozen peaches.
#89 Old 05-16-2016, 07:49 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaj View Post
Love the picture, Aliakai! What a delicious looking pizza.
Thank you! It really was delicious, the guys ate almost all of it despite how big it was.

Today is my hubby's birthday, I'm baking a gluten free whiteout cake, which is a coconut cake with a coconutty vanilla frostin on top (from Decadent Gluten Free Baking) and making sweet and sour tofu sandwiches using gluten free buns. If anyone's interested I can post photos of cake and sandwiches later.

For this post though, I'd like to share a pic of my dinner from last night.

Sunday is always the day I do multi course meals, and I picked a set from Voluptuous Vegan: latkes I made gluten free with gluten free flour, mustard and beer braised cabbage, homemade applesauce, shallot tofu sour cream, and daikon/carrot/mustard greens braised in an apple cider/garlic/ginger sauce. Together it was quite the meal, and all of us devoured it, especially the latkes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160515_232217.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	14753  

#90 Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Baby Love

Tonight ...

Baked Beans
Baked Potatoes
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Peppers
Mixed Green Salad picked from the Garden

Dessert was just an Avengers popsicle, so no cooking required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page