6Likes
  • 1 Post By River
  • 1 Post By earthtonedvegan
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Gita

#1 Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 AM

How do I get my protein?

Ok, I know what you’re thinking. This question has probably been asked and answered too many times in the vegan community. However, this question won’t have the ordinary answer (to get protein eat tofu, tempeh, seitan, soy protein, soybeans, nuts, peanuts, peas, legumes, etc). For about seven years I’ve struggled with various forms of gastro discomfort. Doctors diagnosed me with Eosinophilic Esophagitis, IBS, and Fructose Malabsorption through various tests and endoscopies. For the past few years I’ve tried to figure out what foods I’m allergic to and sensitive to. I’ve just recently found out (through intolerance and allergy tests and listening to my body) that I’m allergic to soy, all nuts, peanuts, garbanzo beans, rice, and oats. I’m also sensitive to wheat, legumes, and peas. Then there’s the fructose malabsorption, where I can only eat certain fruits in small amounts.

My question is, with all these food allergies and sensitivities, how am I supposed to get protein and various vitamins and minerals without having to adopt an omnivorous diet again? I'm worried I Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

@David3

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM
an irregular

that sounds like a lot of restrictions covering a lot of food groups!

I didn't see it mentioned but what about greens like spinach or kale, potatoes or cauliflower, which has a surprising (to me atleast when I just googled it a second ago) amount of protein. i've never used them so i do not know, but do vegan powdered protein/ supplemental smoothie mixtures typically have ingredients that you can not consume?

instagram: Popcorncaptain

#4 Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 AM

If you ate 2500kcals of lettuce, you'd get enough protein, if I remember correctly.....not that that would be much of a diet....but a lot of veg is quite high in protein.

#5 Old 01-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Yeah the protein powders usually have pea, brown rice, and soy. But I have seem hemp protein powder, so I guess that's an option. Thank you for replying!
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

What about quinoa?
LedBoots likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#7 Old 01-07-2016, 01:32 PM

I've been living off of quinoa and hemp. I think I need more variety. Thanks for everyone's help so far!
#8 Old 01-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Amaranth, millet? Not sure you've tried it, but there is quinoa pasta. Still quinoa, but adds a little more variety than just eating quinoa.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 01-07-2016 at 01:48 PM.
#9 Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
If you ate 2500kcals of lettuce, you'd get enough protein, if I remember correctly.....not that that would be much of a diet....but a lot of veg is quite high in protein.
Unfortunately, you would have to eat about 32 pounds of lettuce in order to get 2500 kcalories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTcwODk3.html . Lettuce is not a practical source of protein.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 01-08-2016 at 08:45 AM.
#10 Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Vegan since 1991

Nutritional yeast is a concentrated source of protein (50% protein by weight), and it contains a very good ratio of amino acids. http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TEzODg1Ng.html , and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

Nutritional yeast (as opposed to active dry yeast) is no longer living, and it cannot cause candida or yeast infections. You can find it at most health food stores, online, and at some supermarkets: http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Nutri...ritional+yeast

You might find it useful to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian that specializes in vegetarian nutrition, and in digestive disorders. You can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper-right of the webpage. I just checked the website - in the Seattle area alone, there are at least 20 Registered Dietitians with both of these specialties.
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#11 Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Unfortunately, you would have to eat about 16 pounds of lettuce in order to get 2500 kcalories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTcwODk3.html .
yes it was just an example.

I think if you made a soup from carrot, spinach, leek, potato and things like that and got all your calories from those, then you should get enough protein?

8 potatoes =34g protein 1304kcal
6 carrots =3.6g protein 246kcal
3 leeks=3.9g protein 162kcal
4 onions 4.8g protein 176kcal

that's 46grams of protein and 1888kcals.

So a soup like this at 2500kcal would give you 60grams of protein.

#12 Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Wow! I have to say thanks to everyone for helping! I'm starting to feel like there are more options!
#13 Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Apparently people can live on only potatoes.
LedBoots likes this.
#14 Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtonedvegan View Post
Yeah the protein powders usually have pea, brown rice, and soy. But I have seem hemp protein powder, so I guess that's an option. Thank you for replying!
Quote:
I've been living off of quinoa and hemp. I think I need more variety. Thanks for everyone's help so far!
You have seen the hemp powder, or you are using it?
#15 Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
You have seen the hemp powder, or you are using it?
Yes! I have seen(sorry typo haha) hemp protein powder, and have just started using it! It has about 20 grams per 1/4 cup so that's great! Thanks
#16 Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 AM

Alternative Allergy treatment

Quote:
Ok, I know what you’re thinking. This question has probably been asked and answered too many times in the vegan community. However, this question won’t have the ordinary answer (to get protein eat tofu, tempeh, seitan, soy protein, soybeans, nuts, peanuts, peas, legumes, etc). For about seven years I’ve struggled with various forms of gastro discomfort. Doctors diagnosed me with Eosinophilic Esophagitis, IBS, and Fructose Malabsorption through various tests and endoscopies. For the past few years I’ve tried to figure out what foods I’m allergic to and sensitive to. I’ve just recently found out (through intolerance and allergy tests and listening to my body) that I’m allergic to soy, all nuts, peanuts, garbanzo beans, rice, and oats. I’m also sensitive to wheat, legumes, and peas. Then there’s the fructose malabsorption, where I can only eat certain fruits in small amounts.

My question is, with all these food allergies and sensitivities, how am I supposed to get protein and various vitamins and minerals without having to adopt an omnivorous diet again? I'm worried I Thanks.
It seems like getting enough protein would be a great challenge. This isn't a dietary suggestion. I would like you to go onto the internet and type in Namburipads Energy Treatment (NAET). It is a homeopathic treatment of allergies. Often the practitioners are chiropractors. There is a directory of them on the website. My grandson had horrible allergies and when we finally, after years of trying to treat with diet alone, took him to a local practitioner it changed our lives. Insurance probably doesn't cover the cost, but it is not too expensive and very worth it.
#17 Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

What about spirulina powder? An ounce has 16 gr protein and 44% iron.
Not suggesting it because I know little about it, but talk to a dietician or nutritionist

Tags
allergies , protein , vegan help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page